Dragon Age: Inquisition Box Art Revealed

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Barbas said:
I wonder what the significance of the diamond inside the O is?
I have have a good reason why.
At the latest meeting.

EA: So Bioware, I really love the box art, but look at that "O" ... do you know what it needs.
Bioware: Something that can ruin the game?
EA: No ... we put the iconic sims diamond in there. They will never guess that we placed a "Secret Sims Mode!" in there.
Bioare: YOU WHAT!?

Elfgore said:
I'm a fan, easily the best of the series too. Origin's was really boring and I can't even remember 2's. But I'm a big fan of this one. Gives a feel of epicness, which the last game of the series should bring. It is the last of the series right?
Now Elfgore, if you consider us friends ... wait a second ...

*Checks*

Oh ...

*Clicks add friend*

Now that I consider us friends, I will say that your opinion ... I respect. Sure Origin may have been boring to you and sometimes to me, but without it we would have never got here.
Same goes with ... Dragon ... Age ... Twoooooooo.

That was painful to say, trust me.
But I do agree with you that this one does look better.
Hopefully Bioware will clean up the mistakes they did with number two, I will be happy.

Basically.
Add back the dual-wielding warrior and you will make me mostly happy.

OT:

I actually like the Box Art, I think that it is a big step for Bioware ... and especially EA.
Like many people here, I also pointed out unknown gender of the box character, which is really awesome. No brown haired generic protagonist here!

And sure, it may look like a generic "Chosen One" protagonist, but hopefully it will be more than that.
Still, it's epicness looks nice and the game itself doesn't look bad ... but of course, I will have to see more to find out the truth.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Andy Chalk said:
It looks like I'm in the minority on this one. Not that I actively dislike the art - it's a huge step beyond the ME2 cover - it just doesn't really knock my socks off. Make it more like, say, the Infinity Engine RPG covers (minus the godawful Planescape: Torment) and maybe I'll be happy. Of course, then I'll want the game to be more like the IE releases, and we don't want to go down that road again...
Well, it doesn't really butter my bacon either, to be honest. Not bad, a nice style, just not up there with the greats.

Also, strange picture dimensions. Almost like a jewel case. Are they changing their boxing again?
StormShaun said:
Barbas said:
I wonder what the significance of the diamond inside the O is?
I have have a good reason why.
At the latest meeting.

EA: So Bioware, I really love the box art, but look at that "O" ... do you know what it means.
Bioware: Something that can ruin the game?
EA: No ... we put the iconic sims diamond in there. They will never guess that we placed a "Secret Sims Mode!" in there.
Bioare: YOU WHAT!?...
Hehehehe...I do like a good origin story. Well, I haven't the foggiest what it is, but it looks nice. The cover for Dragon Age 2 was pretty bare, but one thing I did like was the human silhouettes worked into the wings of the blood-steeped dragon. There must be an artist's words for that, but I'm diddled by a duck if I know what it is.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
StormShaun said:
Wait, did you think that I was talking about the games? Silly Shawn, I was referring to the box art. I love Origins. I think I've beaten it like twenty times. It brought back good memories of KOTOR.

But my expectations for this game are high. They better not disappoint me this time.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Considerably better than Dragon Age II, although not as nice as Dragon Age: Origins. It's a good design if a wee bit generic, while Origins' was very clever and minimalistic while conveying what the game was about extremely well.

If nothing else, it's much better than most game box art, especially Mass Effect 2's.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Barbas said:
Yeah, I just caught the whole Dragon shape. Pretty cool I say.
I think it is pretty fancy ... and I do think there is a word for that, but I don't know it. :p

Actually that diamond might just make it look more fantasy or RPG like.
I wouldn't know, the artist might have just put a dot in there on accident and really liked it.

Elfgore said:
Oh ... oooooh.
I loved Origin too, but I was more of a fan of the combat from DA2 ... but DA2 did a lot wrong, including getting rid of the dual-wielding warrior. D:
Hopefully it will return. The good thing I heard is that there included the option to change how the combat works, like changing it from DA2 style back to DA:O style.

As for the boxart, I actually like Origins. The very plain but yet blood made me very interested in it, and now I am here.
With DA2, yeah it was quite boring. :/
In terms with this one, it looks great!

I indeed look forward to the game. (Or at least seeing more of it) ^_^

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Well... you see, there's this unsightly blemish. It's like a big wort, and strangely resembles the letters E and A. It just ruins it for me, sorry guys.

I dunno, it's just another hero standing with it's back toward the camera looking all heroic. There seems to be some sort of cloud of abominations coming from the sky. Seems pretty meh. Given the context, its seems like this game is going to have a big conflict with the fade opening up and demons coming into the world. That's just going by the art and trailer I saw. I haven't read anything yet. As much as I like sprawling, epic stories, they really need to be careful with this. One of the big criticisms of DA 2 was that it was basically a set up to whatever was coming next. That being the Templar vs Mage conflict. This art and the trailer don't focus on that. Don't judge a book by it's cover and all that, fair enough. But what they're showing makes me feel they're going back to the ME/KOTOR/DA:O formula. If the Mage vs Templar conflict is just shoved aside as a side quest or left in the background til the end, you're doing it wrong Bioware.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
I've got to say, I actually really like this. As people above have said, it's good that it isn't following your standard "guy staring out at us looking determined while wielding a weapon" template. I also like the fact the mass of creatures (from the fade, I assume) seem to be combining to make up a single entity. So yeh, I'm perfectly fine with this.

Expect it to change for the worst a few months before release then.

satsugaikaze

Feb 26, 2011
I personally think the active attempt to shape the dragon motif seems a little more awkward this time around. I suppose the dark area framing the dragon head above is supposed to represent the tear in the Fade - which is cool I guess, but the problem for me is that there isn't a whole lot of definition to it (in fact most of the colors on the box seem so... neutral this time around).

Say what you will about Dragon Age 2, but that game popped out on the shelves - they carried over the severe blood-red and white scheme (which I LOVED) with huge contrast, with the outlining of the silhouettes of the supporting cast, which was super cool.
This Inquisition cover just feels a little... safe. I like the greens, but I think it'd be even better if it added more contrast to the edges of the tear in the Fade (like it actually does in the game, right?) - that would give it more definition and character, and wouldn't look like just a big dark grey blob from a distance. None of it draws the eye like the previous game boxes did.

People have been apparently pointing out the gender-neutrality of the character in the foreground, that's also cool I suppose.

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
Ugh. What I dislike is the emphasis here. The strongest part of the concepts we've seen so far is the continuation of the mage/templar war, with neither side being in the right or wrong completely. The whole demons thing by contrast has seemed tired and done.

This box art speaks entirely to the latter idea.

We won't know until we play the game, but ... yeah. This dampens my hopes rather than bolsters them.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Trishbot said:
Can we all agree... nothing will be more generic and bland than Mass Effect 2's cover art?

And then Mass Effect 3 got confused and thought it was Battlefield 3...

Honestly, sometimes a box cover is so bad, I make my own.
That one has to be a conspiracy to make me buy the Collectors Edition so as to not have such a shitty looking boxart!

The collectors edition box-art was actually very nice!

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Holy shit, that's actually quite cool. Maybe a bit visually busy, but it's surprisingly artistic for a triple A release.

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
Couldn't agree more. That's a great looking box art! I'm so sick and tired of the bland covers with just two, three of the main characters and then nothing else. Like all those Hollywood blockbuster posters.