Dragon Age: Inquisition Game of The Year Edition Announced

Las7

New member
Nov 22, 2014
146
0
0
MC1980 said:
And I would like to remind everyone that Witcher 3's first expansion comes out a week later. Y'know, in case some people want to play something good.


fistbump
 

Darth Rosenberg

New member
Oct 25, 2011
1,288
0
0
Oh hey... people banging on about Witcher 3 in a thread about DA:I. Who knew!

...yes, I know it's easy to compare the two (because I've done so in the past), and I think DA:I's BioWare's worst ever SP RPG. But the comparison's a little tiresome now, as if vast swathes of teh internetz have a kind of TW3 defined DA:I bashing tourettes; they can't help themselves.

Re GotY: I was extraordinarily pissed off with how EA/BioWare handled the 360/PS3 version (letting consumers buy what they believed to be a complete, and completely supported product, then shanking them down the line), so a GotY version at least means I don't have to shell out for the overpriced DLC when I re-buy the main game on a new console.
 

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
5,655
23
13
*sigh* This will be my third purchase of the game, but I'll most likely end up buying this once the price drops. I know there is a good game hidden somewhere within all the MMO-style quests and boring open world.
 

Ihateregistering1

New member
Mar 30, 2011
2,034
0
0
008Zulu said:
After Origins lackluster story/game mechanics failed to draw me in, I skipped the second game (whatever it was called). Heard some very good things about the third one, contemplating getting it now.
If you didn't get into Origins, I definitely wouldn't recommend Inquisition. Like many on this thread I found Inquisition extremely boring, but I loved Origins to death.

Get Witcher 3, that's all I'll say about it.
 

Joseph Harrison

New member
Apr 5, 2010
479
0
0
It's always funny how enthusiastic and passionate the people who "don't care" about Dragon Age Inquisition are, like people will post in every Dragon Age thread before anyone else about how much they "don't care" about a game series in which hey play every single entry.

OT: Honestly, I do plan on picking this up on PC once I get a better gaming rig, cuz I already have the vanilla game with only Trespasser on console, but for right now, I feel like 60 or 70 bucks is a lot for two mediocre DLC's and some alternate skins.
 

Sniper Team 4

New member
Apr 28, 2010
5,433
0
0
SlumlordThanatos said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
That's nice. While I haven't gotten to Trespasser yet--running through the game one last time to make sure I do everything right and whatnot--from what I understand it's well worth it. The other two DLCs could have easily been left out in my opinion, but Trespasser is a must play for anyone who enjoyed the game I think.
Answered my question, then. I have to admit, the game was easily the most mediocre in the series, but I think it'll be worth playing again with the DLC.
Agreed, which is a shame. It started out great, with the promise of some ground-breaking revelations in the franchise in terms of lore, but then it just sort of...wandered off into the Hissing Wastes and spent too much time in sandbox mode. And when it finally comes back from that, it takes a hard left turn with the elves that is nothing short of jarring.
Which is why I'm really looking forward to playing Trespasser, because someone comes back and he better damn well have some answers!
 

Gatlank

New member
Aug 26, 2014
190
0
0
Joseph Harrison said:
It's always funny how enthusiastic and passionate the people who "don't care" about Dragon Age Inquisition are, like people will post in every Dragon Age thread before anyone else about how much they "don't care" about a game series in which hey play every single entry.
Hey i have Origins and DA2, i can't stop there now. I have to finish the ride, as cheaply as possible.
Of course that wont stop me from "comparing" to the Witcher 3, which is far better and i bought day one instead of waiting for GOTY and a discount (maybe i'll go the extra mile and wait for the clearance sale).
 

Gatlank

New member
Aug 26, 2014
190
0
0
Charcharo said:
Most of those people havent read the books and dont know just how many missed opportunities and downright faults/simplifications Witcher 3 has...
Welcome to almost everything made based from books.
Where faithfulness to the original source material takes the backstage and will annoy those that know it.
 

Damian Porter

New member
Aug 11, 2015
66
0
0
Starke said:
Damian Porter said:
Starke said:
zellosoli said:
I knew that this was gonna happen, and I'm glad i waited :)
Really? You knew that Dragon Age Inquisition would be the second Bioware title ever to receive a Game of the Year edition?
No, he knew, just like me, that a game like this would receive a complete edition like most games do these days.
Which is why you waited for the Mass Effect 3 GotY Edition to come out... oh, wait.

Yeah, I know, "all games" get a complete edition now. Which is why it's kind of unusual this is happening with Dragon Age, when Bioware's been pretty terrible about releasing complete editions. EA in general, for that matter, but Bioware in particular.

Which makes the whole, "I predicted the blindingly obvious" seem a bit less impressive, when you were actually betting on the unlikely outcome, thinking it was inevitable.
Funny, it's pretty clear that I wrote MOST games, not "all." Also, Bioware released a complete edition of the very first Dragon Age. This is only the third. It's not really as unlikely as you think it is.
 

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
2,559
138
68
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Gender
Male
Damian Porter said:
Starke said:
Damian Porter said:
Starke said:
zellosoli said:
I knew that this was gonna happen, and I'm glad i waited :)
Really? You knew that Dragon Age Inquisition would be the second Bioware title ever to receive a Game of the Year edition?
No, he knew, just like me, that a game like this would receive a complete edition like most games do these days.
Which is why you waited for the Mass Effect 3 GotY Edition to come out... oh, wait.

Yeah, I know, "all games" get a complete edition now. Which is why it's kind of unusual this is happening with Dragon Age, when Bioware's been pretty terrible about releasing complete editions. EA in general, for that matter, but Bioware in particular.

Which makes the whole, "I predicted the blindingly obvious" seem a bit less impressive, when you were actually betting on the unlikely outcome, thinking it was inevitable.
Funny, it's pretty clear that I wrote MOST games, not "all." Also, Bioware released a complete edition of the very first Dragon Age. This is only the third. It's not really as unlikely as you think it is.
But didn't they not put out a complete edition of the second?
 

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 2, 2020
2,047
75
53
Country
USA
Look, can we drop the fandom rivalry already? The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition are both great games, they have different plots, different themes, different writers, one is not better than the other. People can love a game without having to hate on every single vaguely similar game in existence at the same time.
 

zinho73

New member
Feb 3, 2011
554
0
0
Nimcha said:
It's hard to put into words how much I disagree with all of this. I could not get into the Witcher at all, not any of the games. The game pretty much falls at the first hurdle when it forces me to play a character I do not care about. If anything feels forced it's the Wither because of that fact. It feels like a linear array of setpieces set up specifically for that character. It's not really an RPG, that's the problem for me.

I did like the combat though, I guess we can agree on that. Dragon Age's combat has never been its strong suit and the balance between some classes is not well done.
I get what you are saying, but I must say that yo me The Witcher 3 offered a much more complete and varied roleplaying experience.

I played both games with my daughter, in DAI, we experience the same history and boring MMO quests, in TW3 not only we experienced different quests, but also very different endings and my witcher was a ass**** and her Witcher was a hero.
 

zinho73

New member
Feb 3, 2011
554
0
0
immortalfrieza said:
Look, can we drop the fandom rivalry already? The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition are both great games, they have different plots, different themes, different writers, one is not better than the other. People can love a game without having to hate on every single vaguely similar game in existence at the same time.
To me it is not a matter of rivalry, but a matter of being honest with myself and fellow gamers. I wish DAI was a better game. It has its moments and a high production value, but DAI IS a single player MMO, a huge world full of inconsequential and dumb things to do with the occasional interesting dialogue and nice vistas.

Witcher 3 is probably one of the best games ever made.

I agree that people can love any game and I respect other people's choices but, to me, The Witcher 3 is much, much better than DAI. They are not even on the same league.

The improvements alone that CDPR added to the game after launch is reason enough to leave Bioware ashamed. DAI is still poorly optimized and have subpar PC Controls to this day.

I am a fan of the games I like.
 

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
602
0
0
After Witcher 3 I see no reason to bother with this pointless grindfest at all. Seriously, BW should be ashamed - W3 is currently the peak of classic BioWare RPG-dev school, while BW themselves make... This. If not their label on this game, it'd end up with rating between 1 and 6 from both players and critics and would be long forgotten.
 

Starke

New member
Mar 6, 2008
3,877
0
0
Elfgore said:
*sigh* This will be my third purchase of the game, but I'll most likely end up buying this once the price drops. I know there is a good game hidden somewhere within all the MMO-style quests and boring open world.
Sadly, there really isn't. I wasn't exaggerating when I said combat boils down to holding down one trigger until everyone around you is dead. No, not in the, "well, but you do other things too, right?" kind of way. Attacks root you to the spot, and there's no interaction once you start attacking. So you can either stop attacking and use an ability, or keep attacking.

The story just isn't there. It's a mix of incoherent gibberish that requires you read the novels to follow it, and enforced idiocy on the part of the player, where you cannot do/say the blindingly obvious thing because the writers thought they were being so cleaver, you'd never figure it out.

If you honestly want an MMO-style game, that does everything DAI is trying to do, only, you know, as an actual MMO, I'd recommend Elder Scrolls Online.
 

Starke

New member
Mar 6, 2008
3,877
0
0
immortalfrieza said:
Look, can we drop the fandom rivalry already? The Witcher 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition are both great games, they have different plots, different themes, different writers, one is not better than the other. People can love a game without having to hate on every single vaguely similar game in existence at the same time.
Well, here's the thing. It's not a fandom rivalry. Dragon Age Inquisition is not a good game. And I'll say this as someone who actually defended DA2 as a surprisingly fun title.

There's stuff I like about the Dragon Age setting. There's stuff I don't like about Bioware. Unfortunately, Inquisition veers hard into the stuff I serious object to.

Gone are the grey moral choices, the scenarios that feel like the result of people with plausible motivations getting into loggerheads, and a setting where characters are vaguely aware of their setting's genre conventions. Also gone is the legitimately dark humor from DA2.

What's in full swing, are situations where the backstory is available to the player (if you read the books) but not the character, and players who didn't cough up for every bit of horrible prose that Bioware spat out in tie ins. Without reading the books, things like The Winter Palace are arbitrary. Places like the Emprise Du Lion are flat out unexplained and unsatisfying.

Characters like Solace and Cole flat out contradict the setting's established cosmology, and we're expected to accept this as holy writ because the writers thought they were being so clever. So clever in fact, you're not even allowed to poke Solace and maybe knowledge that there's something odd about him, and maybe Liliana should, you know, actually look into who he's claiming to be. Because, no, the writers were just being that "clever."

I'm okay with there being more information in the books, or minor plot holes getting sown up there. But, with DAI, you're often left completely uninformed if you didn't read those books. Playing The Winter Palace? Trying to pick between Celene, Gaspard and Briala? Want to know what the difference between them is? Yeah, that's not in the game at all. You're expected to have read Masked Empire.

At it's core, it is impossible to actually roleplay Inquisition. Just can't be done. The game asks you to make metagame decisions far too frequently, and punishes you brutally for behaving in character.

The thing is, Witcher 3 is an easy counter example, because there are so many similarities. These are two different companies taking a run at doing the exact same game. But, the only time The Witcher 3 presents blind decisions like that is if you decided to simulate a Witcher 2 save, and the game quizzes you on what came before. And, even there, it's asking you to make your decisions based on the previous game, not did you read the terrible tie in fiction. When it comes to making decisions in TW3, you're always given information to make an informed choice.
 

Starke

New member
Mar 6, 2008
3,877
0
0
Secondhand Revenant said:
Damian Porter said:
Starke said:
Damian Porter said:
Starke said:
zellosoli said:
I knew that this was gonna happen, and I'm glad i waited :)
Really? You knew that Dragon Age Inquisition would be the second Bioware title ever to receive a Game of the Year edition?
No, he knew, just like me, that a game like this would receive a complete edition like most games do these days.
Which is why you waited for the Mass Effect 3 GotY Edition to come out... oh, wait.

Yeah, I know, "all games" get a complete edition now. Which is why it's kind of unusual this is happening with Dragon Age, when Bioware's been pretty terrible about releasing complete editions. EA in general, for that matter, but Bioware in particular.

Which makes the whole, "I predicted the blindingly obvious" seem a bit less impressive, when you were actually betting on the unlikely outcome, thinking it was inevitable.
Funny, it's pretty clear that I wrote MOST games, not "all." Also, Bioware released a complete edition of the very first Dragon Age. This is only the third. It's not really as unlikely as you think it is.
But didn't they not put out a complete edition of the second?
Yeah, with that double negative it's a little hard to know what you meant to say. But, there is no complete edition of Dragon Age 2.