Dragon Age: Inquisition Maybe it's just me, but...

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'm really struggling with Dragon Age: Inquisition, both in gameplay and patience. First off, its buggy as all hell, with my companions getting clipped into walls, rocks, trees, etc... in the middle of a fight, effectively reducing my party size by 1 or more, which is just delightful! Once I jumped off a cliff, clipped into a tree, jumped off that and just walked across a good half of the Hinterlands in midair, just walking. Eventually found a castle wall at my height and that seemed to get the game back on track.

Also random enemy spawning? Getting kinda tiring. And I don't mean enemies that come back, I like that. Means I don't get bored walking through the Witchwood or whatever. I'm talking about enemies literally appearing out of nowhere, either while I'm in conversation with an NPC or worse, already in a fight. I've been trying to collect great bear claws for about an hour now, but every time I manage to isolate one, either more bears randomly appear(not that they walk up, but they just pop into existence) or bandits/mages/Templars again pop into existence and its usually enough to tip the balance of the fight and I die.

So that's fun!

Also a little hint on levels of quests or enemies would be nice. I've breezed through rifts in one area, only to have the last one (the apparently infamous river rift) being twice my level with no warning or hint or anything. Just boom, the quest went from lvl 6 to lvl 12 in one rift. Not exactly fun.

The sudden and oh so funny level shifts in quests combined with the random teleporting enemies is making this game a real drag. According to my save file, I've played 8+ hours, and I'm level 6. Half my time is spent in trial and error gameplay. I'm lucky to get two quests done without dying and going back half an hour. I have no idea how to proceed because as far as I can tell, all my quests are for higher level, not that the games tells me that. I just had to figure out on my own that my party can't kill a single zombie, or that a random dragon in the starting area is 20+ levels my superior, or that whatever those ice daemons things are are fucking ridiculous with those damn ice beams.

Anyone else struggling? Does it get better? Are they going to patch the glitches or add text color to quests, red for too hard all the way down to white for too easy?

Something? ANYTHING?!

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Did you continue with the story yet? Everyone tells people to get out of the hinterlands as soon as possible, and after having done so, I agree. The story and such get a lot better outside of the hinterlands, though there are still some fetch and rift close quests.
I don't know what level you are, but you can easily leave the hinterlands at level 7~8. Probably sooner if you're good at the game. You can do so by going to the war room, going to the map, and sending your companions on the missions with the green fire thingy above it. Those green things basically indicate story progression missions, where you unlock new story area's. The hinterlands is meant as an area to grind and level up in when the story becomes too high level, I think. As the levels are all over the place in there.

As for the problems you've mentioned. I've managed to work around them, but yes...they are highly annoying. Stuck companions, had that too. That one quest for the bear paws, I had fanatics and bears randomly spawning in right on top of me as well. And that rift is a *****. I actually tried 6 times (I was level 8), and managed to get through the first wave a few times. Just to see if I could. But it was impossible for me at that level. ^^;

I won't try to make excuses for the bugs and obvious flaws the game has. (using the grinding area of an rpg as the first area you enter? Confusing, to say the least) But my enjoyment far outweighs the negatives for me. I guess because I love all those little quests, even if they're crap, that you usually see in mmorpg's. Yet it still feels and plays like a singleplayer rpg, which I love as well. If it had single player co-op, and didn't have all those bugs, I would probably declare it my game of the decade. So my opinion is probably a 'bit' biased. :p

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Well, the more I hear about Inquisition, the less I want to have anything else to do with Dragon Age or NewAgeBioware....

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
I know what you mean, I'm losing interest in this game too. The clipping graphics aren't so bad, sometimes they are pretty funny for example varric's foot sinking into the snow making it look like he is dancing. But it is so damn grindy , it reminds me of skyrim and not in a good way. At least in skyrim, once you cleared an area, the enemies were well and truly gone. Here the constant repsawns makes clearing an area seem pointless, and collecting herbs or crafting materials does not make up for it. I keep wanting to like this game but I have already spent something like 35hours and it is not getting much better. And yes, I have left the hinterlands. I've never been so quickly bored by a bioware game, it's even worse because there is no one thing that is actually wrong with it, the world is beautiful, the sounds are good, the plot and characters are interesting (as far as video games go) , still it just doesn't capture my interest. I find myself playing it, getting bored after a few hours, then forgetting about it, wanting to play it, getting bored again, etc. overall it just seems very mediocre.

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
well, some advice here.

-save before every rift because they do vary in levels amongst the same area. some in the hinterlands are unbeatable before you get to like level 8. You do know you can focus on an enemy and it'll tell you their level?
-the lowest level dragon is like 13 so forget about them for now. when you get close to a dragon area, your companions should tell you.
-yes, get the hell out of the hinterlands. follow the main quest and you'll usually end up in areas that are roughly your level. Some of them you don't even need to do, it's basically additional bonus leveling up.
-yes, the enemies constantly popping in to say hello are annoying, can't really do anything about it. I guess Bioware didn't want those huge maps getting boring. heaven forbid.

the game gets better the second time around because you know how to spend your time more wisely. first time was a real grind for me as well.

Haerthan

Mar 16, 2014
Ok, so Bioware fanboy here. Check cleared nicely guys just so you know. 1k in my savings.

Ok with that disclosure out of the way (do you really believe that I get cheques from Bioware worrth 1k?).

So in my playthrough the only bugs I encountered was the clipping. I swear to God, just the clipping (thanks Bioware for the cheque). But yea gtfo the Hinterlands. A bit grindy. I advise to get to lvl 9 or 10 there (possible, I done it, do first second MAIN quest after that), then go to the Storm Coast, get to 11, go to the Sacred Oasis Thingy, get to 12, close rifts in HInterlands and other areas which are lvl 12,do the Fallow Mire, kill Dragon in HInterlands. Bam lvl 13.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I'm in the same boat as you. I just cannot bring myself to play it for longer than an hour now. I've tried about four characters and just can't get into it. A mix of shitty frame rates[footnote]My own fault, but I shouldn't need to have meshes on high to not have my characters look like they just walked through a body oil factory.[/footnote], clipping, and how they fucked up the dialogue system. Maybe when I get a higher end computer it may work out. Until then, seventy bucks wasted.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Can't say that i encountered many bugs so far, one of my party members got teleported under the map in deep roads and when i switched to him to see where the hell he was my whole party ended up there, wasted 5 minutes of gameplay(PC version).

And yes, you should leave Hinterlands as soon as possible and do the main quest, i only returned when i was level 12 to clear it and to kill the dragon which was in the area. I was beginning to hate the game at the beginning since it felt like a MMO grind with crappier systems, but when i did some of the main quests the game opened up.

Solaufein

Aug 3, 2009
I finished the game and I haven't really encountered any bugs, aside from some minor pathing issues, but I have to agree on the boredom. There is way too much grind here, it feels like a mmo and not the good kind. You can't even ignore that part of the game and just do the main story missions either since they're gated and you need a certain level for them.

Everyone always says 'leave the hinterlands, the game is so much better if you do' but honestly the other areas are exactly the same thing in a different packaging: same rifts, same shards, same immediately spawning enemies, same pointless running around and flower picking, same constantly pressing the search button but this time in a forest/desert/war zone/swamp/coast. Also it seemed to me like the most interesting things always happened off screen. I wish those war table missions were actual quests that you'd have to go and do instead of sending your "troops" to do them for you.

I wanted to like this game I really did but it's just not possible for me. I had to push myself to finish it and the ending fell flat on it's face and wasn't even worth all the trouble. Initially I had planned at least four playthroughs, now I don't even want to think about it let alone play it.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
JohnFei said:
It's overhyped uninspired garbage, just like every Bioware game since EA.
I'd say it's more a case of "So very close, but still coming short" in parts of the game that -everyone- can see could have easily been improved. Which frustrates people that want to like the game but just can't.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
sanquin said:
JohnFei said:
It's overhyped uninspired garbage, just like every Bioware game since EA.
I'd say it's more a case of "So very close, but still coming short" in parts of the game that -everyone- can see could have easily been improved. Which frustrates people that want to like the game but just can't.
I'm still finding it hilarious how the second I picked up knight enchanter as my specialization the game went from Fantasy real time tactics to Kingdom Hearts as I literally fade step enemy to enemy, crushing them underfoot beneath my spirit sword while my allies are meandering about getting themselves into trouble every 2 seconds. The dragon in the hinterlands I could barely get to stage 3 suddenly was just an eye sore...

Edit: Actually, comparing this to kingdom hearts isn't fair. That game still had some super challenging fights despite the combat style.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I was struggling but then I gave up.

It's sad...Dragon Age Origins was in my top 5 all time games for a while and I LOVED DA2 to boot. Inquisition is a completely different game though. It makes sense, DA2 is very different from the first so that's the nature of this franchise.

I used to be able to 'force' myself through the boredom to get to the fun. I did so with FF13 ultra slow tutorial. But I couldn't bring myself to power through the hinterlands. The game has all the elements of a GOTY but ultimately I'm bored and I don't know why. I could blame the PC controls (though I'm using controller now), the lack of direction, the map, the lacking sense of cohesion...but these aren't typically enough to kill a game with amazing characters, awesome graphics, good music, and solid combat.

When it comes down to it though...playing inquisition 'feels' like work. So I'm done with it. Maybe in a years time I'll try it again but for now there are too many good games out there to play instead. Just picked up The Banner Saga for $5.00 on humblebundle. Looking forward to trying it out :)

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
babinro said:
I was struggling but then I gave up.

It's sad...Dragon Age Origins was in my top 5 all time games for a while and I LOVED DA2 to boot. Inquisition is a completely different game though. It makes sense, DA2 is very different from the first so that's the nature of this franchise.

I used to be able to 'force' myself through the boredom to get to the fun. I did so with FF13 ultra slow tutorial. But I couldn't bring myself to power through the hinterlands. The game has all the elements of a GOTY but ultimately I'm bored and I don't know why. I could blame the PC controls (though I'm using controller now), the lack of direction, the map, the lacking sense of cohesion...but these aren't typically enough to kill a game with amazing characters, awesome graphics, good music, and solid combat.

When it comes down to it though...playing inquisition 'feels' like work. So I'm done with it. Maybe in a years time I'll try it again but for now there are too many good games out there to play instead. Just picked up The Banner Saga for $5.00 on humblebundle. Looking forward to trying it out :)
Ugh, the Hinterlands. Basically the core of the entire first act runs through that place and it's best to speed through it as fast as possible or break up the journey with trips to the other locations.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I have a lot of the same complaints listed here but I don't know... I just kind of sucked it up and enjoyed the game. 14 hours into my second playthrough and I am having a blast, so I don't know what to tell you. If you're willing to look past the bad stuff the game has a lot to offer.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
I could sit here complaining about Inquisition all day, the game has a laundry list of little niggling issues, most of which boil down to confusing design decisions and the predictably destructive effect the panoply of large open world environments and MMO style faffing about have on the game's pacing.

That said, the game improves dramatically if you just get the fuck out of the Hinterlands. I, too, neglected to heed this almost universal advice for many hours, and suffered for it. You don't need 1100 Elfroot. You don't need to collect all the stones of busywork or to bring Farmer Bellend's favorite Druffalo home. Just get whatever power you need to advance the plot, and then advance the plot.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
I too got bored as hell until I came across the first dragon in the hinterlands. I was well under leveled but I still attempted it. Got it down to 25% after which it literally rained magma on me before I realized what was going on and I died. The game came alive for me after that. That fight was awesome. Just do yourself a favor and DON'T pick a knight enchanter specialization as a mage. You'll break the game.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
I could sit here complaining about Inquisition all day, the game has a laundry list of little niggling issues, most of which boil down to confusing design decisions and the predictably destructive effect the panoply of large open world environments and MMO style faffing about have on the game's pacing.

That said, the game improves dramatically if you just get the fuck out of the Hinterlands. I, too, neglected to heed this almost universal advice for many hours, and suffered for it. You don't need 1100 Elfroot. You don't need to collect all the stones of busywork or to bring Farmer Bellend's favorite Druffalo home. Just get whatever power you need to advance the plot, and then advance the plot.
Is it worth $40? Or wait for it to be lower?

ALSO! I went through the Dragon Keep and it asks about all those decisions you made, but in researching them(to remember what I did), it doesn't seem most of the small ones come up in Inquisition at all(ie I don't think it ever mentions which random dwarf son you saved that one time). What's the point?

Edit: Also also, is a rogue worth playing? I did Mage in DA:O, Warrior in DA2, so I figure it would be fitting to go rogue this time, but I remember that they kind of sucked particularly in DA:O. Actually, rogues tend to suck in party-based RPGs in general, don't they?

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I never had any particularly bad bug in my playthrough (PC). Worst I had was audio glitches in conversations, and sometimes my Knight-Enchanter spirit blade failed to show sometime. All pretty minor stuff all things considered. As for the random enemy spawning, I cant say that I can remember any particular instances of this happening. It might have, at some point, but I honestly cannot pinpoint a single occurrence of this happening to me and killing me because of it.

I must agree with you when it comes to the random level gaps, however. That being said, as far as I remember, this only really ever happened inside the Hinterlands with the fade rifts and the one dragon that was inexplicably level 15 in the first zone that you get to. There was also this one quest that I got at the start of the game in the Hinterlands that I was unable to complete until I went to Emprise du Lion because I needed a specific herb that was only available in that zone, and this would have been fine, at least if Emprise du Lion wasn't an endgame zone. This level gap problem never really reappeared in any other zone aside from with Dragon bosses, so once again, the moral of the story is "Get out of the Hinterlands.".

Ladylotus

Nov 1, 2014
LetalisK said:
Edit: Also also, is a rogue worth playing? I did Mage in DA:O, Warrior in DA2, so I figure it would be fitting to go rogue this time, but I remember that they kind of sucked particularly in DA:O. Actually, rogues tend to suck in party-based RPGs in general, don't they?
Personally, I find that the rogue has a very Knight-Enchanter esque feel when you get to specializations. One spec in particular takes out about 1/3 of a dragon's health in one hit. Sera has the ability as well, so with both of you and extra focus for the abilities you can win any fight in seconds.

If you're in the Hinterlands after level five/six, GET OUT. Every environment after the Hinterlands is a thousand times better, from the Stormlands to even the Fallow Mire. Things improve, and you can continue the story as early as level four.