Dragon Age: Inquisition to Have 40 Different Endings - Update

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Dragon Age: Inquisition to Have 40 Different Endings - Update

Dragon Age: Inquisition details from the latest Official Xbox Magazine spills the beans on the game's number of endings, areas, how there will be no "DLC Companions," and more.

Update: BioWare's Mark Darrah has gone to the official BioWare forums to offer a bit more clarity on the 40 endings the game will allegedly have.

Here's his message in full:

Hey guys,
I just want to clarify the endings in Dragon Age: Inquisition
Dragon Age Inquisition's endings variations come in three levels
1. Minor variations based upon choices you make in the game or previous games. There are HUNDREDS of these variations.
2. Major variations based upon larger decisions in the game. There are about forty of these
3. Completely unique endings. There are a small number of these

Based on Darrah's post, it seems expecting 40 radically unique endings might not be in the cards. But then again, that really wouldn't be feasible now, would it? Nonetheless, 40 "major variations" on the game's conclusion is no small feat. Let's hope it delivers.

Source: Starblazer117 [http://forum.bioware.com/topic/497884-large-number-of-endings/page-8]!

Original Story:

Excited for Dragon Age: Inquisition? You'll be glad to know that a ton of info regarding the action-RPG has made its way online courtesy of BioWare forum user "Jaldaris93" who has posted details straight from the Official Xbox Magazine's latest issue. First up, the big one. According to the magazine's info, "Bioware is promising a staggering 40 possible endings for the game, dependent not only on choices made in character generation but by actions taken throughout the storyline. [Mark] Darrah stresses, however, that the endings will all be meaningfully different from one another. You won't find 40 endings with only slight degrees of variation between them."

Other details like the game's regions, dialog wheel, how there will be no "Companion DLC," and more can be read below.

1) There will be 5 regions in Dragon Age: Inquisition: Fereldan, The Free Marches, Orlais, Nevarra and the Dales:

- 2 of the areas you can expect to visit are; a war-torn region in Orlais and an elven burial ground, known as the Emerald Graves.

- The Emerald Graves, according to executive producer Mark Darrah, is where the Dalish Elves planted one tree for every soldier killed in the Exalted Marches.

- According to the magazine, while enemy levels don't scale to your characters, you can affect environmental changes to drastically influence local settlements, establish trade routes, capture territory and disrupt the local ecosystem.

- Wild flora and fauna, useful for crafting can be hunted to scarcity, allowing other species to proliferate.
Defeating intelligent enemies like bandits or dragons will have a significant effect on a given region.

2) Dragon Age Inquisition Companions:

- There will be no DLC Companions: According to Creative Director Mike Laidlaw: "Because of how deeply enmeshed in the system companion characters are, we can't just add them on the fly; part of them has to be shipped on the disc...which was led to criticism that we're forcing people to pay for content they already own. It's not the case, but we've decided this time to not go that route. There will be no DLC party members."

- Solas is an apostate and an expert on the Fade.

- The Iron Bull is confirmed as a companion, who is described as "a one-eyed mercenary and outcast from the Qunari faith"

- Sera is confirmed as a companion, and is described as "an elven archer. Little is known about them [referring to both Sera and the Iron Bull] at this point, particularly Sera, who turned up seemingly on accident during one of several combat demonstrations..."

3) The Dialogue Wheel:

- "We have three wheels that we use in response to any given piece of dialogue" says Gaider. "One of those is what we call the 'tone wheel', which is mostly for role-playing choices. The other two are the 'choice wheel'- for taking an action or stating an opinion-and the 'reaction wheel,' for emotional moments"

4) The Inquisitor:

- There will be 4 voices for the Inquisitor 2 for each gender, for all races

- To address why the same voices apply to all races, Mike Laidlaw made the following statement: "It's a matter of file size...if we were to have eight voices, two for each race, we would be shipping on 14 discs or something. We figured that with four voices, that would give players enough options while staying within our size limitations"

- BioWare is currently exploring options to differentiate the voices, like changing the pitch of the audio.

- The Prologue Section (or the "Origin" section" will be the same for all players. The player's appearance, class and dialogue responses during the prologue section will fill in the details, presumably of the Inquisitor's background, and in particular inform how other characters respond to you throughout the story.

- The Inquisitor is the sole survivor of a reality-shattering event which results in the Fade tearing opening throughout Thedas.

- "Presumbly as a result [of the Fade tearing open throughout Thedas], you're also endowed with a singular ability: you can close these rifts wherever they appear throughout the continent."

5) Customization:

- Armour weights are no longer class specific. Meaning a rogue can wear a mage's robes, and a mage can wear a warrior's armour. The magazine speculates the penalties will be similar to the fatigue penalties used in DA: Origins

7) Other information:

- There will be a jar of bees, which can be used as a combat item which according to Bioware: "You throw it, the jar breaks open, and little bees fly around stinging your opponents."

Seeing as the forum post hasn't been taken down and the user hasn't been suspended by BioWare's mods, the chances of the info listed being real are quite high. Now, hopefully, these 40 endings are really "meaningfully different" from each other and not just, y'know, color changes.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is set to hit PCs and consoles later this year.

Source: NeoGAF [http://forum.bioware.com/topic/497878-official-xbox-magazine-dragon-age-inquisition-preview/]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Christ.

Well, I guess the message got through at least. Actual results pending of course.

Can't help but wish all this effort was going toward something a bit more interesting that Fantasy RPG: The Game. But perhaps I'm being overly cynical.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
There are many improvements on this list, many that lay some of my worries to rest.
No DLC companions is nice, but I will still worry about some of the DLC they may release.
I'm liking the description of future companions, the amount of areas and endings.

Although I am a bit sceptical about the Inquisitor themselves, I like the sound of another "Origin" prologue, but he or she will have the ability to close the rifts ... this make me ask "how?"
And the dialogue wheel has me a bit worried.

Still, it seems I can lay some worry to rest, but I will still be pretty worried about this game.
It is looking quite fund at the moment though.

... all I want though, is a dual-wielding warrior. :D

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
Yea, Sure, 40 different endings. Just like Mass Effect 3 was supposed to have so and so amount of endings.

mrverbal

May 23, 2008
Green, yellow, pink, beige, puce, chartruse, aqua, scarlett, black, grey, amber, orange,.....

Look, hopefully this is them picking up the pieces from a trainwreck and a near trainwreck (which of DA2 and ME3 is which is left as an exercise for the reader) and ends up being amazing. Until I see that, however, they are still on my "handle with caution" list.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Cecilo said:
Yea, Sure, 40 different endings. Just like Mass Effect 3 was supposed to have so and so amount of endings.
My thoughts exactly.

StormShaun said:
Although I am a bit sceptical about the Inquisitor themselves, I like the sound of another "Origin" prologue, but he or she will have the ability to close the rifts ... this make me ask "how?"
By being the local "chosen one", of course. A "Dragon-Age-Born", if you will. :p

That said, even though it looks pretty good, I probably still won't pick this up at launch, simply because I would probably need to update my PC before I would be able to run it properly, and I probably won't have the funds for that for a while.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
While I retain healthy skepticism, I like the sound of most of those. Especially that response tri-wheel, that seems kind of interesting.

Also, does any word who the voice actors are for the Inquisitor?

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
People keep touting the fact their game has 500 different endings. I'd rather have one satisfying ending than 40 mediocre ones where everything is homogenized because of player choice to take into account.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
40 different endings that will all be meaningfully different...so how long is this game gonna be exactly? because honestly the only way I can see that many endings working is if most are only minor variations between them with a few major differences between. Though I'm pretty sure that entire thing was just to show up a certain RPG that will not be named.

Also I'm calling it here, the dialogue wheel will go like this:

Tone wheel: Funny tone, serious tone, angry tone
Choice wheel: Do it, don't do it (though you'll still have to do it regardless because this isn't really a choice)
Reaction wheel: Funny reaction, serious reaction, angry reaction

If I'm wrong on that I'll happily admit it, but I've got a feeling I won't be.

Good to know there won't be DLC companions, about time Bioware learnt that lesson.

Customisation is a little lacking, so armour isn't class specific any more...great good to know you thought it was stupid in DA2 and remembered the way Origins did it was better. and what about the ability to customise my companions? will that be there or will it be the DA2 thing which wasn't that bad but still wasn't really great.

Finally unless you got Nicolas Cage screaming 'NOT THE BEES!' I don't really give 2 shits about the jar of bees, how about letting me find out about that in game, yeah?

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Yeah, sure.
Sorry but i would be a retard to believe any of Bioware's advertisements after DA 2 and ME 3.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Sorry, biowEAr, I can't hear you over my Witcher 3 anticipation.

But nice to hear you're making an effort.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Sound promising. Almost all the problems with DA2 can be traced to the stupidly rushed production. That's not a problem here, and it certainly sounds like they're making an effort to make it interesting. Results pending, but other than DA2 they have yet to make a single player game I didn't enjoy. The only real bad point I can see is:
The Prologue Section (or the "Origin" section" will be the same for all players.
Being forced to play through the same introduction/tutorial section time is incredibly boring and annoying. Why do you think there are so many mods to remove that from Skyrim, for example? If you're going to boast about how many endings there are, and therefore imply that people will want to play multiple times, discouraging them from actually doing so is not really a great idea.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
So are these gonna be 40 actual endings, or just 40 different hodgepodges of cutscenes that you get based on various A vs. B choices throughout the game?

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
TASTE THE RAINBOW BIATCHES!

No seriously... will we have 40 different colored magical explosions that somehow all seal the fade away again or something?

I fell for that promise allready once Bioware.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
"Bioware is promising a staggering 40 possible endings for the game, dependent not only on choices made in character generation but by actions taken throughout the storyline. [Mark] Darrah stresses, however, that the endings will all be meaningfully different from one another. You won't find 40 endings with only slight degrees of variation between them."

This sounds so very familiar. I can't help but feel as though a talking head for BioWare made a claim like this before. It is almost as if this is a repeat of some form of pre-release hype.

Couldn't be though right? I mean they couldn't possibly be stupid enough to pull this crap all over again surely?

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
HA!

I'll believe it when I see it

Anyone remember when Fallout 3 was supposed to have fifty or so different endings and it turned out that Bethesda were just Lying liars who opened up a shop of lies on Liar street so they could run for the Liar city town council and how they won because of what huge liars they are?

Because that's what happened

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I hope there is a green ending like in Mass Effect 3, I hate those other games with their silly binary choices between red and blue endings. Maybe they will be innovative and utilise Next-Gen Technology (tm) and have multicoloured endings?