Dragon Age: Inquisition to Have 40 Different Endings - Update

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Sounds interesting, Bioware.

Also, anyone who brought up Mass Effect 3's endings, please report to the volcano. The Volcano God will have words with you after you receive the customary boot in the ass.

ArkhamJester

Sep 30, 2010
Anyone here remember a little game called Star Ocean: the second story? On the back of the box promised 86 different endings! In reality the actual number was closer to 8-10, the rest was viciously padded out with minor tweaks on these core endings. Said tweaks were almost entirely based on how you treated your party members and your relationship values with them. mark my words, Dragon Age Inquisition is going to pull a second story and have about 5-10 actual endings with the other 30-35 declared "unique" endings based on your character relationships.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
I will believe it when I see it. I wish this game all the best. I want it to be the best dragon age yet. I just don't trust bioware anymore.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/10/mass1525-effect-3-cas5ey-fdsafdhudson-interviewae.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

I will just let you give that a read as opposed to just going into another pointless rant.

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
ArkhamJester said:
Anyone here remember a little game called Star Ocean: the second story? On the back of the box promised 86 different endings! In reality the actual number was closer to 8-10, the rest was viciously padded out with minor tweaks on these core endings. Said tweaks were almost entirely based on how you treated your party members and your relationship values with them. mark my words, Dragon Age Inquisition is going to pull a second story and have about 5-10 actual endings with the other 30-35 declared "unique" endings based on your character relationships.
That's actually perfectly fine, I don't think anyone seriously thinks there are going to be 40 different pre-rendered cutscenes. That'd be great (unless you want to platinum it and one of the trophies is "Seen all the endings") but it's a completely unreasonable expectation. It's probably going to be slides and different character dialogue at the end, which if it's different based on what my actions were will suit me fine. If it's the same cutscene with different filters I'd actually be ok with it too in a "You got me again you cheeky bastards" way before never buying one of their games again. At least I'd leave with a laugh.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
They really just shot the themselves in the foot if they can't deliver on this. Hopefully they do. However, I'm preparing for when they don't.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
I might have to pre-order this. I don't really care how many endings there are, I just think all the other news sound very promising.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
mrverbal said:
Green, yellow, pink, beige, puce, chartruse, aqua, scarlett, black, grey, amber, orange,.....

Look, hopefully this is them picking up the pieces from a trainwreck and a near trainwreck (which of DA2 and ME3 is which is left as an exercise for the reader) and ends up being amazing. Until I see that, however, they are still on my "handle with caution" list.
No, it's much more intense.

This time, they're going with the full Dulux Colour chart;

I can't wait for the arguments over whether they preferred Terracota-Red7 or Peach-Amber13.

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
I'm really disappointed in everyone here at the Escapist!
Instead of making the same tired jokes about color we should be talking about the tactical value of a jar of bees!
Consider! In Dragon Age Origins you could turn into bees!
Can you Buff/Heal characters that are currently a bee swarm by throwing jars of bees at them? And if so what happens to the extra bees when they resume human form?
Put shapeshifting characters in jars and throw them at people or hard to reach places?
Imagine seiging a castle by getting your wizards to turn into bee swarms and catapulting them over castle walls!

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
Well I'm quite excited about the game and interested in the series - so thank you, Escapist, for providing news about it. I've been watching their Google + page for updates - the unveiling of the mage companion has been quite interesting, although I fear I may not actually love having her as a companion. It's hard for me to sift through the forums for useful information though on my daily Internet stops so - thanks for pulling this out.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I hope they do it in a way how Dragon Age: Origins did it. Loved how all those boxes came up and said what happened based on the decisions I made in the game. Hope to see that to some effect in here.

Adamantium93

Jun 9, 2010
The Great JT said:
Sounds interesting, Bioware.

Also, anyone who brought up Mass Effect 3's endings, please report to the volcano. The Volcano God will have words with you after you receive the customary boot in the ass.
While I normally would agree in any other topic (its been two years and some people still won't let it go), I think that the ending of ME3 is topical right now. This is the first single-player rpg Bioware has released since that whole mess happened. The comparisons are not only inevitable but, in my opinion, necessary to remind both sides of the fence how much was promised (and, ultimately, undelivered) last time they had a shot at this.

OT:

I loved DA:O and I actually found DA2 to be more tolerable than most people did, but I also loved ME1 and ME2 only to be extremely let down by the third installment. Right now, all of those promises look really nice but ME3 showed us that Bioware is not above misleading or simply lying to its consumers to make a quick buck.

I want this game to be good. I want this to be a game that, like DA:O and ME1/2, I'll go back and play over and over again. But, considering Bioware's recent blunders and their increasing desire to water down franchises to appeal to the masses, I just cannot get myself excited for this game. Maybe once the reviews come out and I get a chance to see it in action. Until then, color me interested if still relatively apathetic.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Cecilo said:
Yea, Sure, 40 different endings. Just like Mass Effect 3 was supposed to have so and so amount of endings.
Mr Ink 5000 said:
40 different ending? this is madness! I dont even know 40 different colours?!
Honestly, I could just go about quoting this entire damn chat so far. I will admit, the world and such sound interesting. However, this is truly a case of lost faith that will be extremely difficult to rebuild.

Moreover, while BW might have some stock in such an endeavor, EA has absolutely none with me at this point. Sad thing is, DA3 may end up being a good game, and a positive in terms of trust building. However, the fan reaction may still be so sour, the sales figures for this game will not accurately portray the merits of this game (assuming it isn't DA2 and ME3 again).

In such an event, we may get a proper "ode to the fans" that still "underperforms" simply b/c of expectation. However, even sadder is that I can't bring myself to care. I want this game to be good, and I want BW to return to form, but I couldn't care less about EA. As such, I am likely to buy this game used (if at all), but get DA merchandise (support BW directly, as opposed to BW and EA).

Also, that bit about the "no DLC characters" is cute: "part of them has to be shipped on the disc...which was led to criticism that we're forcing people to pay for content they already own. It's not the case, but we've decided this time to not go that route."

Uh huh, more like the consumer is tired of getting screwed, while being told "it's a service," and they realize we won't drink the Kool-Aid anymore...

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Wow, they must be really delving into those more obscure colours! Will there be a mauve ending?

(In all seriousness, if I'd seen this news before playing ME3 I'd have been excited, now not so much. Too early to tell if the endings actually mean shit or they're just slight alterations of each other.)

Sep 14, 2009
Milky1985 said:
TBH i suspect again they are shooting themselves in the foot due to over-hyping. What will actually happen is that there will be points in the game where a event happens and you can solve it in one of 2 or 3 ways, a good, bad or neutral way, and this will be reflected in the ending (so now you have 3 endings).

There will then be another event which can be solved in a similar situation, but now they will count the showing of the results of this combined with the last one as a separate ending, so now you have 9 endings, (good-good, good-neutral etc)

And so on, so if there are 3 ways of dealing with it, it only takes 4 "events" to make the 40 different endings , about 5 or 6 to make the 40. Don't' get me wrong this could work, but the amount of binary moral choices that are happening in games nowerdays make me cynical when they come out with stuff like this.

This is of course assuming they are not talking out of there behinds, and also assuming by 40 different endings they don't just mean different parts of the colour spectrum (although the brown ending could be funny)
yupp. this is deja vu from mass effect 3 pretty hardcore.

I'd honestly rather have 1-3 amazing endings than to have "40" mediocre/bleh/color spectrum ones. screw that noise.

Unless this game is a godsend, they are shooting themselves in the foot hard by saying stuff like this.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I wager that most of these "different" endings will only be different by adding a word or two of different dialogue. And that will ultimately be ME3 all over again.