Dragon Age: Inquisition to Have 40 Different Endings - Update

aelreth

Dec 26, 2012
So 3 or 4 possible paths for ever faction. They could have done a few more. Hopefully the majority of them are not individual character arcs with them instead being the former.

That's not to say that wrapping up character arcs is unimportant, they should be done. What is needed is that all the memorable actors* on the stage are given closure. Anything less is unprofessional.

If EA among others wasn't in the habit of burning me with pre-orders of late I would pre-order this unfortunately I'm skeptical.

*If you feel that you could skip a voice actor for that character then consider them not memorable.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
Alright, the color joke isn't so much done to death as it is done to death, then reanimated by a deranged necromancer to an unholy semblance of life through precision application of yet more repetitive jokes. It was funny at first, a bit. Now it's just...after the first ten times, it's more of an eye-roller than the actual problem it's referencing.

Anyway, with regard to the actual topic, much of the non-ending stuff is very encouraging. Kinda wish they'd fess up to the fact that on disk DLC is just plain bad, not a misunderstanding, but some of the story detail sounds good. I'll probably end up enjoying it in the end. I have for most Bioware games, whatever their faults.

Isengrim

Aug 20, 2012
Ok... So let me get this straight.
DA: O was about the blight and Ferelden. The Grey Wardens, big stuff. - I'd count 9 major endings. Well made ones.
DA 2 was about ... em... a city. Of Kirkwall. And political bullshit in it. One city. Story including one random fuck that runs away from a village that burns in DA: O. Endings - 2 major ones. Poorly made.

DA: I is supposed to have 40 MAJOR endings.

Pff. Ok bioware, right, I totally buy that.

I'll skip a section in which I write how DA2 is total and utter bullshit from start to finish and how irrevelvant events that would happen in one city somewhere in free marches would be to the ENTIRE rest of DA world.

Apparently, we have hundrends of possibilites just in the save import from DA2.
Where exactly?! Did anybody see them?
Are they under the bed? Screaming in anguish as Bioware makes them irrelevant? Or are they just afraid of me?

I know that it's a hype train, 40 endgins... MY ARSE. Recently Bioware cannot even make 3 endings properly, they can't get their own fucking codex right. And now I am supposed to belive in a story of 40 endings.
Well, shame they didn't mention flying elephants, I would know then that they were on something.

Is there any reason to believe this load of bullcrap? I do not think so.

Go home bioware, you're drunk.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
iseko said:
40 different endings in the same dungeon but with a different color?

I was hyped for DA2. I thought their explanation of how a random guy (not the chosen one) gets thrown into the shit without really wanting to. They fucked that up.

I was hyped for ME3. 16 different endings! Wow! your choices matter! Yea no not really.

I'm gonna give this game a pass. Read the reviews and I'll probably buy it after that. But depending on the reviews I'll buy it right away or wait for a year or so. You know. I played the first one (loved it) and the second one (kinda shit all over itself) and now... good or bad I just want to finish the series.
Remember that DA2 e ME3 both had great reviews that mostly failed to pinpoint any flaws in the games. The score is something the reviewer is free to give, but when the reviewer do not access the game properly it is very hard to make an informed decision.

I Think I will wait my peer opinions on this one.

The problem with those games is that not only they have shaken my faith in Bioware, but also in the gaming media in general.

It was not something planned either, but I realized I simply stopped to read reviews and now I much prefer to frequent forums and watch more independent shows like youtubers or Jimquisition.

idon'tknowaboutthat

Nov 30, 2009
Alex Co said:
"Because of how deeply enmeshed in the system companion characters are, we can't just add them on the fly; part of them has to be shipped on the disc...which was led to criticism that we're forcing people to pay for content they already own. It's not the case, but we've decided this time to not go that route. There will be no DLC party members."
I appreciate the thought, but it still comes off as if BW is under the impression that they're taking the high road here and being generous or something. Uh, no. Giving us a complete game when we give you $60+ should be par for the course.

Also, where the hell did this dialogue wheel shit come from? I know it was in DA2 as well, but my god, ever since ME1, Bioware is just in love with this dialogue wheel thing where you have to choose between two or three very vague prompts in conversation rather than having five or six options fully spelled out for you at the bottom of the page, like they had in DA:O, Kotor, etc. I don't give a shit about having a voiced PC, I want to have an actual variety of dialogue choices beyond "I'm evil" and "I'm a saint". Can't tell you how many times in the ME series that you had two choices that boiled down to that, or useless prompts on the wheel that ended up being completely different then what they seemed when your PC actually acts it out.

I know it seems like fans are impossible to please nowadays, but maybe that's because of the mile deep fucking hole they dug for themselves over the years.

EclipseoftheDarkSun

Sep 11, 2009
Mr Ink 5000 said:
40 different ending? this is madness! I dont even know 40 different colours?!
Look at a paint catalogue or at a graphics program that lets you mix 256 shades each of red, blue and green.

It's probably just a text and graphic based ending. Flash up to 40 different combinations of them = easy peasy. Just have good, evil, neutral endings swapping in and out different locations and characters, ala the old Fallout endings:) Don't expect 40 substantially different video-based endings ;)

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
When I read that they said they would have 40 different endings I was suspicious that they were lying to hype the game.
When I read that they were not going to gouge their customers by having a bunch of DLC characters I knew they were making it all up.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
EclipseoftheDarkSun said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
40 different ending? this is madness! I dont even know 40 different colours?!
Look at a paint catalogue or at a graphics program that lets you mix 256 shades each of red, blue and green.

It's probably just a text and graphic based ending. Flash up to 40 different combinations of them = easy peasy. Just have good, evil, neutral endings swapping in and out different locations and characters, ala the old Fallout endings:) Don't expect 40 substantially different video-based endings ;)
Anything is better than ME3's ending.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
Actually, recently Bioware leaked some documents about DA: Inquisition ending, possible spoilers:

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
The beginner's guide to creating game hype, chapter 3, part 5:

Give people NUMBERS! The bigger the NUMBERS the better! People love NUMBERS! Elder Scrolls V will have a world the size of North America, which is good, because it has lots of NUMBERS! Doesn't matter whether or not those NUMBERS mean anything, because big NUMBERS are the main point!

Sian

May 3, 2011
I'm actually impressed with how well Bioware knows their audience. I was completely ready to give up on Dragon Age Inquisition, but now I'm considering it.

Honestly, Bioware is going to make different endings this time. After ME3 they're not going to just turn around and do the same thing, after promising things are going to be different. I'm more worried that all this focus on the endings that they seem to be doing will sacrifice other parts of the game.

Dorrieb

Apr 9, 2014
"40 major variations" means "After you helped the miller with her rat problem, the mill thrived, and the village is now the biggest exporter of flax on Thedas", or "Since you didn't kill the rats, the mill failed, and everyone left the village for the city to become drug dealers", which is interesting, but not really the kind of story-changing variable you were hoping for.

But it doesn't matter how many endings there are. What really matters is that BioWare is currently a shadow of its former self. They used to do things their own way and lead from the front; now they are playing catch-up with successful games from other companies. Dragon Age: Inquisition looks suspiciously like DragonBORN Age: WitchER Hunter, if you see what I mean. If the game turns out as planned, at best they will have successfully imitated those other games; and if anything falls short of expectations, they will suffer from the inevitable comparisons.

I really hope it turns out to be good, and I'll probably end up buying it even if it's only mediocre, but I doubt that it will set a new standard for the genre, which is really what they should be aiming for. They need a hit to prove that they still rule, not just a decent game to prove that they don't suck.