Dragon Age Inquistion players: How do you feel Bioware handled Dorian?s sexual orientation?

subskipper

Sep 5, 2014
Burnouts3s3 said:
subskipper said:
I think he is a fantastic character and one of the better written in the game. I do agree that the conflict with his family was handled in a rather "ham-fisted" way, and it sort of lost impact a bit when he confronted his father. It was however much better handled than the scene with the Chargers soldier (The Iron Bull's friend of undetermined sex) whose name I keep forgetting. That whole scene felt so extremely forced and heavy handed I cringed a bit. I think they could have handled that one much better than they did.
I believe you are referring to Krem, voiced none other than Jennifer Hale herself.

[SNIP]
Indeed it was. I think I spoke to Krem once (other than in the scene with the Chargers). Great voice acting though!

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I love Dorian and the additional insight into Tevinter culture he provides, including how his sexuality plays into their tradition of arranged marriage/breeding.

MundaneMatt, meanwhile, is best ignored.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I cottoned on to his sexuality long before his side quest, but was completely fine with it - It was most definitely better and far more tasteful than Anders in DA2. I didn't romance him in my single playthrough, but we were bros.

I loved his quips and sense of humour.

The thing I actually found annoying for all the romance options was having an option in the dialogue of "Start romance with X", but in hindsight that transparency sort of helps, albeit rather bluntly.

DeaDRabbiT

Sep 25, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
Thorn14 said:
But he's a million times better than the other "pure gay" character, Sera, who was just terrible in every single way.
Thank goodness. I thought I was going crazy or something given how many people seem to like her. I couldn't stand her for even a second. She was just grating beyond any measure I could come up with.
At one point I got so tired of her shit (and a bit miffed when it dawned on me that she doesn't dig the dong) that I stopped taking her seriously altogether. Any time there is dialogue with her I choose the snarkiest reply possible, or just outright hostility.

Her replies to getting it dished right back out to her is pretty satisfying.

PlayerDos

Nov 10, 2013
Party Member Tier list

Great Tier
-Cassandra
-Dorian
-Solas

Good Tier
-Bull
-Blackwall
-Varric
-Cole

Bad Tier
-Vivienne

Kicked out of Inquisition Tier
-Sera

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
A number of people have mentioned that they felt it was "ham-fisted", or "forced", or something similar. I haven't played the game, so I don't know personally.

I'd like someone to tell me in a little more detail what they mean by this, though. Is it just "ham-fisted" because it's unambiguous? How is it more so than straight characters' interest in the opposite sex?

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Woah, what's with all the Sera hate? What'd she do? I haven't played the game yet, but she did look kinda annoying...

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Advertised as gay? was he? because I don't think bioware are the ones who made a big deal out of it.

As for "you shouldn't write gay characters; you should write great characters who happen to be gay", it's nice to have a gay character who is just gay and no big deal is made of it. You don't need to have an excuse for a character to be something other than straight. Starting from the same mold and then just tweaking things to fill roles and move the plot is a poor way to make characters.

It is also fine to have character who is gay where that actually is a big part of their story and that effects other things. I know people in real life who have been kicked out home, attacked because of it, had authority figures try to screw them over, or who spent years hiding the fact that were gay because they knew it would cause issues and they could lose friends over it. It is still a big deal for many people. Why not have plot centred around struggles bought on by sexuality in a game?

Of course people will still consider it "forced", "ham-fisted" and "in their face" regardless of how it's presented. Hell you get that even when character isn't actually gay but just matches a few stereotypes though at least that is funny to watch.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
subskipper said:
Burnouts3s3 said:
subskipper said:
I think he is a fantastic character and one of the better written in the game. I do agree that the conflict with his family was handled in a rather "ham-fisted" way, and it sort of lost impact a bit when he confronted his father. It was however much better handled than the scene with the Chargers soldier (The Iron Bull's friend of undetermined sex) whose name I keep forgetting. That whole scene felt so extremely forced and heavy handed I cringed a bit. I think they could have handled that one much better than they did.
I believe you are referring to Krem, voiced none other than Jennifer Hale herself.

[SNIP]
Indeed it was. I think I spoke to Krem once (other than in the scene with the Chargers). Great voice acting though!
As a trans woman, the writing in that scene bugged the crap out of me. It's nice to see trans characters in games, without them just existing for something the player is meant to mock and laugh at, but as you said, the dialog was very heavy handed. What bugged me the most was using a cis female to play a trans character

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Kaulen Fuhs said:
Silvanus said:
Is it just "ham-fisted" because it's unambiguous?
More or less. I think a lot of people just don't like being confronted with this kind of thing in it's unabashed, unashamed, FABULOUS glory.

Saetha said:
Woah, what's with all the Sera hate? What'd she do? I haven't played the game yet, but she did look kinda annoying...
People will talk about how OMG QUIRKY or annoying she is. The latter comes down to personal preference. The former is pure ignorance.
Ignorance? How so?

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
Thorn14 said:
But he's a million times better than the other "pure gay" character, Sera, who was just terrible in every single way.
Thank goodness. I thought I was going crazy or something given how many people seem to like her. I couldn't stand her for even a second. She was just grating beyond any measure I could come up with.
Sad fact: I work with people with neuropsychiatric disorders, such as autism and ADHD, and Sera to me felt like all the worst aspects of those patients mixed with an unhealthy dose of "spoiled baby syndrome". There wasn't a single redeeming aspect to the character that I could find.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Gethsemani said:
Sad fact: I work with people with neuropsychiatric disorders, such as autism and ADHD, and Sera to me felt like all the worst aspects of those patients mixed with an unhealthy dose of "spoiled baby syndrome". There wasn't a single redeeming aspect to the character that I could find.
To be fair, on the level of broadening representation I kind of like how she's explicitly meant to be working class, to the point of being explicitly vulgar, using slang and having a regional accent (even a really strange, toned down one) and I like how it's not played as a kind of malicious "chav baiting" thing.

..and yeah, that's about it. But that's something.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
evilthecat said:
Gethsemani said:
To be fair, on the level of broadening representation I kind of like how she's explicitly meant to be working class, to the point of being explicitly vulgar, using slang and having a regional accent (even a really strange, toned down one) and I like how it's not played as a kind of malicious "chav baiting" thing.

..and yeah, that's about it. But that's something.
I got that aspect, I just found the idea of inserting a Guy Ritchie-style working class character, complete with (something approximating) British working class accent and idioms into a high fantasy world to be one that was really stupid all around. To me it only further drove me from the character. I suppose one can appreciate the attempt though. I can also appreciate the attempt to make her sort of a different take on Robin Hood. But those are both thematic ideas and don't have much bearing on how the character plays out in game.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Gethsemani said:
I don't mean to mention you expilicitly, I am talking to everyone in the thread, but your post seemed to be the least flamebaity so I ran with it.

To address the post I quoted: as unfortunate as it is, you will run in to people that represent all the worst aspects of a particular group. I have a feeling that Sera, as she was, was never meant to be *liked* by everyone.

I really don't think there is anything wrong with the character of Sera as she is. Is she trying on the patience of some people? Of course, and I think she is all the better for it, honestly. I want people to think of everyone they have every met. Honestly, how many of them are actually people you could stand to be around? I would argue that far more of them are people you'd consider completely intolerable then you might think.

So why should the party of a video game be any different? Of course you're going to run in to people you dislike IRL. It's a part of everyday life. So why should they disappear just because you happen to be in a video game? I really think that just adds to it. Some people will line right up with what you consider to be the "ideal person". Some won't.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
evilthecat said:
I like how it's not played as a kind of malicious "chav baiting" thing.
You could argue that while not 'chav baiting' it is very much based in classism...

Even if you ignore her vulgarity and two dimensional approach to class warfare, it's hard to ignore her childish behaviour.

You could alsoo argue that the one explicitly lesbian character being a complete fuckhead also says damning things about the game's creators.

Don't mind me, I'm just pissy that Scout Fielding doesn't have a resolved romance path...

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
theSovietConnection said:
Of course, and I think she is all the better for it
Confession time. Although I think Sera is a fucking idiot her background is interesting to learn about.

In some ways I think she's sort of like Ashley from Mass Effect and how many people didn't bother to dig into her background because "OMG! RACISM!" despite there being somme interesting stuff there.