Dragon Age Inqusition: Denuvo DRM apparently liable to destorying SSDs

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
prpshrt said:
Can't really enjoy it as much knowing it's slowly killing my PC.
Will it help knowing that this "report" is more or less absolute horse shit with absolutely nothing and nobody backing it up?

Lucifiel

Sep 8, 2009
Denamic said:
The hate for Origin is because they sell digital copies of games for more than the physical copies cost at a retail store. Their prices are not only not competitive, but outright greedy. It's ridiculous to think you can compete with steam with prices easily twice as high as steam has. The only reason origin even exist is because they have juggernaut IPs that exclusively use origin.
Hmm... I was getting a whole different vibe from the overall internet Origin bashing (more along the lines of "ugly/broken/malware infested/computer destroying/EA owned piece of DRM") <- strictly Origing client I mean. Not EA's business practices.

And aside from the broken part (which was an obvious problem in earlier versions), your argument about games prices is the most rational one I have heard.

I admit that most of my Origin games were bought quite some time after their initial release so they were discounted or I had bought a retail version at a discounted price, which required Origin. The rest were almost free because I got them with the Humble Origin Bundle. DAI is the first Origin game I am getting at full price on Origin (had it preordered).

I guess that for now, the price is not THAT big of an issue for me since I am usually so far behind on current games that by the time I get around to playing them, they are usually already discounted. And only once a year or less do I end up paying full price for a game.

But I can see how the price would be an issue for a lot of people.

Aside from this, I actually can't complain much about Origin when it comes to its purpose as a game library.

I think the discussion got sidetracked so I will not continue with this...

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Lucifiel said:
Aside from this, I actually can't complain much about Origin when it comes to its purpose as a game library.
Origin is fine, as far as the service goes. It had some rough patches early but is a fine digital storefront/downloader as far as these things go. I mean, it's totally DRM, but most of us made peace with Steam a long time ago, so it would seem a bit hypocritical to pile on Origin for being an orange Steam.

My only real issue with it is that it ISN'T Steam. It's more convenient to me, the shopper, to have my games in one place. I already have to deal with the Blizzard app running separately from Steam, so having to run Origin too is just a big pain in the ass.

Lucifiel said:
I think the discussion got sidetracked so I will not continue with this...
Given the discussion was unchecked paranoia about a completely unsubstantiated and alarmist rumor, by all means, sidetrack away. It will only improve things.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
DoPo said:
Will it help knowing that this "report" is more or less absolute horse shit with absolutely nothing and nobody backing it up?
Hah! Literally JUST finished doing my research on this. But yea, I think I'll be able enjoy DA:I in peace.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
DoPo said:
prpshrt said:
Reminds me a lot of the anti-StarForce campaign, which despite being shitful and intrusive as all fuck wasn''t tthe optical drive killer it was smeared as being.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
RhombusHatesYou said:
DoPo said:
prpshrt said:
Reminds me a lot of the anti-StarForce campaign, which despite being shitful and intrusive as all fuck wasn''t tthe optical drive killer it was smeared as being.
I never really saw any useful evidence for or against it. Then again, I couldn't be bothered to look, either. At any rate, it was, at least, more believable than this claim.

Lucifiel

Sep 8, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
Origin is fine, as far as the service goes. It had some rough patches early but is a fine digital storefront/downloader as far as these things go. I mean, it's totally DRM, but most of us made peace with Steam a long time ago, so it would seem a bit hypocritical to pile on Origin for being an orange Steam.

My only real issue with it is that it ISN'T Steam. It's more convenient to me, the shopper, to have my games in one place. I already have to deal with the Blizzard app running separately from Steam, so having to run Origin too is just a big pain in the ass.
I was actually pleasantly surprised when I realized that the download speed in Origin is significantly higher than in Steam. Not sure if it has anything to do with server load.
Main point, though, is that yeah, Origin is not half as bad as people claim. And I know this from first hand experience.

As for game management, I'm having a bit of a problem with that too. The bulk of my games are on Steam, followed by GOG and Origin. Aside from this, I also have some retail games but those are a few becuase in my country it used to be more convenient to use a digital distribution platform, since retail gaming was restricted to a few titles. It had a lot to do with the overall mindset related to games, but I won't get into that because that an entirely different discussion.

Sometimes I have a bit of a problem remembering on what platform I have a game, especially when it comes to an older game (it usually is between Steam of GOG). As I mentioned earlier, I have a huge backlog of games I need to play because I buy a lot during sales and my full time job does not allow me the freedom to play much.

I allow Steam to load at startup so it runs in the background all the time, but did not do the same for Origin. I only run it when I am playing a game that uses it. As far as performance goes, I did not see any drops on my PC.

Back to the issue of opinions based on rumors or based on little information, it is really the first time I am seing such a big deal being made over a game. Perhaps it is because people are keeping an eye out on DAI (after DA2 and ME3, which is, to me, at least, another overblown mess) or perhaps because I did not get that invested in other games.

For example, one issue that has been brought up, from what I managed to sift through was the KeyBorad + Mouse controlling for the PC. It was changed, and not many consider for the best (both layout and character handling are different - more action RPG oriented). After going through many of the threads, I did see 2 points:

1. Developers from Bioware became aware of them and have started discussions on what will go into the patch and how it will be handled, if it will be handled
2. People are offerring suggestions on how to handle it in the meantime, to those do not want to use a controller. And by this I do not mean the "Get a gamepad, moron!" kind of suggestion. I mean using mouse and keyboard as control and remapping the keys. After more filtering, it came that people said remapping on the MOUSE is the problem. It appears that people came up with a solution for that as well but I did not manage to follow up on that.

But these two points are so difficult to find because the complains and posts that bring no additional useful information just keep piling and piling and piling. The few useful information provided again and again seems to be ignored and drownd in the next pile of "Ïss broken!" "I hate it too" "Really, it's broken?" "Yeah!" "Oh, I heard it's broken".

And this whole thing is relevant for me, because I plan on playing DAI with mouse and keyboard (form EU here so it will be released tomorrow for us)

It was fairly easy to find information on Denuvo, for example. But for other issues, it is becoming increasingly difficult to get the useful/informative/constructive parts of information or discussions (overall, my impression is that K+M is not that big of a train wreck actually )

I'm not saying not to complain or not to get alarmed. They can both be perfectly valid points. I am saying do some research before getting alarmed and listen to some of the reason before complaining.

Aethryl

Jul 16, 2014
Adam Jensen said:
I've been very happy lately with my decision not to buy AAA games on launch. I successfully avoided Watch Dogs, AC:U, Far Cry 4 and now DA:I. There's probably more but I can't remember.
I've spent more time playing indie games anyways. From the Depths is my current and I don't really see myself switching to anything else for a long time.

As for the issues with DRM. If a company can't be bothered to make DRM convenient for me I can't be bothered to play its games. But my main issue with EA is that when I tried out origin a few years ago it was rather frustrating and annoying to deal with. Not really sure how accurate the harddrive killer issue is.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
BloatedGuppy said:
razer17 said:
In all fairness, Fifa 15 which uses this Denuvo thing hasn't been cracked yet, 2 months on.
It's not the best example. FIFA is generally played for online matchmaking, as opposed to games against the AI.
Pretty sure all the other Fifa's on PC were cracked like straight away. Some people do play single player. Ignoring that, Lords of the Fallen uses it, and that hasn't been cracked either, though that only came out about a month ago. But still, a month is a life time in terms of pirates.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
True or not, this won't effect me not buying the game.

Sworn off the crap Bioware makes. If I want to be bored I'll go read a fucking textbook, not boot up a video game.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
It is worth noting this is an "Apparently" thread.

It's a rumour, and I posted this as a warning, as SSDs are expensive, and personally, I don't want to risk one playing Dragon age and there are probably some people who think the same.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
Why would you spread this stupid rumor about? Your ?source" is just a forum post; I could easily enough lie and say ?Obama sacrifices goats? and it?s just as creditable.

I honestly think a rival publishing company (Probably Ubisoft, considering Farcry 4?s release date) is hiring people to discredit Dragon Age: Inquisition. DA:I is not a terrible game, but it?s getting a tidal wave of 0?s on metacritic. Now there?s this rumor saying DA:I destroys SSD's? Something doesn?t smell right.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
Lovely Mixture said:
RagingTiger said:
So basically the honest consumer has to deal with a flurry of DRM headaches and a shortened lifespan for SSDs while pirates can play with 0 worries in any regard? I thought piracy was meant to be the least desirable option, seems our honesty comes at a price.
At this point I'm wondering if the preferable option for PC game consumers is going to be:

1. Purchasing games legitimately to show that they are honest and are willing to pay.
2. Then downloading a crack or a cracked pirated version (of the game they just bought) so they can play it with no issues.

At this point, most of my boycotts are matters of convenience since I refuse to download another DRM platform other than Steam.
You mean the way that you should have been playing PC games for 10+ years?

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
Steve Waltz said:
Why would you spread this stupid rumor about? Your ?source" is just a forum post; I could easily enough lie and say ?Obama sacrifices goats? and it?s just as creditable.
No, it's not. Obama does not have a well catalogued history of sacrificing goats, such that your best defense is "Obama's not sacrificing goats today." That is the position EA is in. After the fifth or sixth time you ruin everything (crippling Command & Conquer, DA2, the ME3 ending, the Dungeon Keeper pay-to-play remake and the way the app only lets you vote if you're going to give it a 5...) you only have yourself to blame if people stop giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Just watched a TotalBiscuit review of the port(not the game). He says he has yet to see any evidence of this being true and that the game only has a few minor performance issues, overall it seems to be a good port. This site has gotten so silly during my hiatus, still carrying on the EA witch hunt long after the ME3 cataclysm.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
Grumman said:
Steve Waltz said:
No, it's not. Obama does not have a well catalogued history of sacrificing goats, such that your best defense is "Obama's not sacrificing goats today." That is the position EA is in. After the fifth or sixth time you ruin everything (crippling Command & Conquer, DA2, the ME3 ending, the Dungeon Keeper pay-to-play remake and the way the app only lets you vote if you're going to give it a 5...) you only have yourself to blame if people stop giving you the benefit of the doubt.
So because they made a few games you did not like you are going to blindly accept any wild accusation made against them without any proof? That is practically the definition of stupidity.

The Forces of Chaos

Mar 25, 2010
Dansen said:
Just watched a TotalBiscuit review of the port(not the game). He says he has yet to see any evidence of this being true and that the game only has a few minor performance issues, overall it seems to be a good port. This site has gotten so silly during my hiatus, still carrying on the EA witch hunt long after the ME3 cataclysm.
As the post Above you has wisely stated (Grumman), this is more than just Mass effect 3 ending. EA and its developers have had a lot of issues with their products for a long time. You can't fault people for being a bit careful and not pre order the game or buying on day 1.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
The Forces of Chaos said:
Dansen said:
As the post Above you has wisely stated (Grumman), this is more than just Mass effect 3 ending. EA and its developers have had a lot of issues with their products for a long time. You can't fault people for being a bit careful and not pre order the game or buying on day 1.
Nobody is telling you to preorder or buy the game on day 1. The issue is that the source that is linked in the op is calling this guy on his bullshit.

hyurnat4

Oct 2, 2012
Calm down. Denuvo in DAI is only an antitamper for the .exe file. The only DRM being used is Origin.

As for Denuvo itself, Fifa 15 also uses Denuvo and there have been no reported issues for that game, from what I can see. It's much more likely Lords of the Fallen is a buggy mess.

DoPo

Jan 30, 2012
hyurnat4 said:
Calm down. Denuvo in DAI is only an antitamper for the .exe file. The only DRM being used is Origin.
Incorrect, as per what I have said before.