Dragon Age Origins low fps

lemby117

Apr 16, 2009
I just bought dragon age origins for my PC and the frame rate is absolutely horrible, Fraps is telling me I have 17 fps but my pc should be more than capable of running this game, any help would be appreciated.

My specs:

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5-4430 (6MB Cache, up to 3.2GHz with Turbo Boost Technology)
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 8 64bit, English
GRAPHICS CARD: 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 645
RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600Mhz
HARD DRIVE: 1TB (64MB Cache) 7200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s
OPTICAL DRIVE: Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD RW, CD-RW)
WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY: DW1506 Wireless-N WLAN Half Mini-Card

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Other games running fine?

You clearly should be able to run this maxed with frames to spare.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Might just be the game. I run it maxed out on my old gtx 560 but still not high fps 45 with drops to 30 or so. The 645 is 30-40% less powerful than that one so it could be that your getting 17 fps.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
The game has a memory leak that was never completely patched out. No matter your PC, if you play DA:O for an extended amount of time, say 3-4 hours, it will slow down until it eventually seizes up at a loading screen, at which point you need the old 3 finger deathpunch to close out of the game. Plus it has compatibility issues with PCs not XP so regardless of whether you run the game as admin in XP mode, it will occasionally CTD. I still play it regardless, doing another playthrough as we speak so I have a refresher before Inquisition arrives.

Sep 14, 2009
Remus said:
The game has a memory leak that was never completely patched out. No matter your PC, if you play DA:O for an extended amount of time, say 3-4 hours, it will slow down until it eventually seizes up at a loading screen, at which point you need the old 3 finger deathpunch to close out of the game. Plus it has compatibility issues with PCs not XP so regardless of whether you run the game as admin in XP mode, it will occasionally CTD. I still play it regardless, doing another playthrough as we speak so I have a refresher before Inquisition arrives.
err...now I'm not saying this doesn't happen for people, but I've NEVER had that happen, let alone had a problem with DA:O, I've beaten the game 20+ times now and the first 3-4 times I would do multiple 5-6 hour sittings on it (I had lots of free time years back, so gaming in long sessions was a typical afternoon for me).

OT: do you have every setting maxed out? On occasion I've had certain games have one setting turned on or up too high and it would drastically throw off the framerate, so perhaps toy around with some of the options and see if your frames get better that way. Also, close out if you are running anything in the background, doesn't hurt.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
Remus said:
err...now I'm not saying this doesn't happen for people, but I've NEVER had that happen, let alone had a problem with DA:O, I've beaten the game 20+ times now and the first 3-4 times I would do multiple 5-6 hour sittings on it (I had lots of free time years back, so gaming in long sessions was a typical afternoon for me).
Well I can confirm that there is indeed a memory leak for most people, although it seems to only really start once you get out of the prologue and into that first town. By the end of the game, it was so bad I had to stop every half hour or play a powerpoint presentation.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
That Memory Leak. It started getting so bad... I hadn't saved for about half an hour, and tried to transition from a Templeish area to the overworld, and it was loading for forty minutes, Had to save, quit, and start it back up, this was until I got a new computer.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
lemby117 said:
I just bought dragon age origins for my PC and the frame rate is absolutely horrible, Fraps is telling me I have 17 fps but my pc should be more than capable of running this game, any help would be appreciated.

My specs:

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5-4430 (6MB Cache, up to 3.2GHz with Turbo Boost Technology)
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 8 64bit, English
GRAPHICS CARD: 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 645
RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600Mhz
HARD DRIVE: 1TB (64MB Cache) 7200 RPM SATA 3Gb/s
OPTICAL DRIVE: Slot-Loading Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD RW, CD-RW)
WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY: DW1506 Wireless-N WLAN Half Mini-Card
Strange... Do you have any other games installed that have the same problem? If your pc is idling at desktop whats your performance on cpu and ram? I'd have to go with either a driver problem or you sir have some freaky spyware on your pc. If your pc had a clean format and reinstall and you still had this problem... Then I'd get more professional help then me cuz what the fuck

EDIT: only other thing I can think off is that you're textures could have a long time loading... Youre hdd is at 7200rpm. If its heavily defragmented that could screw with textures loading. In some cases fuck up your framerate. But that woould also depend on the game and I am not sure if this is a problem with DA:O... Any more IT savvy people that can comment?

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
With that rig you should be able to run DA:O with maximum settings at more fps than you'd care for.

Is your PC running fine otherwise? Other games? High-quality videos?

Make sure you have the newest drivers. http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Make sure you have DirectX up-to-date. http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Directx also, Steam handles that automatically if you have it there. Most games include DX APIs installer as well.

Otherwise, press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC in Windows to see if there's something crazy going on in processes or performance, like a firewall/antivirus software bloated resource-wise and fighting windmills.

If that will not point to the culprit, then open the Task Manager again while in-game, and see what's up.

It's not the hard drive, and massive memory leaks mess up the game generally only through extended continuous playtime. I'm quite sure it's either GPU/sound drivers or a background software problem, like having two firewalls/antivirus' running at the same time, but I'm guessing you'd already noticed the latter's effect while doing any basic task.

Oh, and make sure that you have your GTX 465 as the primary GPU and in use, both in Windows and for the game. In case you have an integrated GPU as well.

lemby117

Apr 16, 2009
So I've tried your suggestions and no joy so far, I'm actualy still in the prologue of the game and this is happening, I can run much newer games like bioshock infinite on max settings at a solid 30fps but I'm only getting 11fps here

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I've never had that issue myself, not even after 6+ hours of play. And that was (at the time) with a much older system than yours and playing on max. You should be blowing through it.

I searched a bit on the internet with few results. Apparently some people were having issues with multi-cores, disabling Vsync and SLI helped for some people.

Did you apply the latest patch (depends on what version of the game you're using)? (http://social.bioware.com/page/da-patches)
Also check out this thread in general, it has quite a few solutions to issues: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/58/index/6265850.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Ok so for more info:
1) did your pc come preinstalled? Like Acer or Samsung or something? The real question: Does it have any bloatware or is it a clean windows 8?
2) are you running DA:O in compatibility mode? If so, what kind?
3) what is your native screen resolution and what resolution are you playing the game?
........3b) what resolution are you playing bioshock at? Same or different? If different: which resolution?
4) if you play the game, how is your cpu/ram holding up? Press alt+tab and then ctrl+shift+esc
5) is it a constant frame rate at 11fps or does it wobble around the place?
6) What version of the game is it? Is it fully patched?

gotta love pc gaming when this type of shit happens xD

Nemusus

Jun 10, 2013
Remus said:
Never noticed this before... It'd get a lot slower in loading screens, but it never actually stopped responding at any point, even though I was playing 5-6 hours (I miss school holidays).

As for the 17 fps, I was able to run it at a decent, but not amazing fps with max settings with my GTX 470 and i7-860, around 30 fps or so, definitely not less. I thought the GTX 645 would run it better than my 470 if anything, but my knowledge of computer hardware tends to be... seasonal? I spend a lot of time looking up parts and learning all about current hardware and such when I'm getting ready to buy a computer, but then I can't be bothered keeping up to date until I need a new one. Since I built my last PC in 2010, my knowledge is extremely dated. Even so, I'd have thought that the GTX 645 would be a better chip than the GTX 470, no?

lemby117

Apr 16, 2009
I'll try patching it now, I can't believe I missed that I got the disk version so I didn't even think to patch it as steam usually does that for me but of course this isn't on steam, I'll patch it now thanks