Dragon Age Promo Items Go Free

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
That's pretty sweet! No idea when I'll get back to those games, I have too many in my "pile", but a nice gesture nonetheless.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Yyyyyyyyyyyyoink!

Well, I guess one of the advantages of being really behind on my games is this. I haven't finished Origins and I haven't started DA2 so...this will help! :D

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I'm like 1/4th of the way through my first playthrough so these items will prove valuable. Thanks for the free goodies (and thank you Mr Chalk for informing me of this)

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Tank207 said:
xedobubble said:
Tank207 said:
Oh sweet, Yoink!

Now I have an urge to start a new Origins character.

EDIT

Quick question, does anyone know how to actually access this stuff in Dragon Age: Origins? I just loaded up one of my characters but I have nothing in my inventory or Bodan's shop.
If memory serves, before you load your game, click Downloadable Content on the main menu. After the game synchronizes with your bioware account, you'll have the option to download all the promo items. After that they should just appear in your game, or at least they did when I first rolled a character in DaO. I don't know how it interacts with existing characters.
Unfortunately I don't have anything popping up in the downloadable content area. I found a site(dragon age wiki page) that has links to download everything, but you have to download and install them all manually one at a time... and that just isn't going to happen.
This is how I did it:
http://na.llnet.bioware.cdn.ea.com/u/f/eagames/bioware/dragonage/assets/downloads/walkthrough/redeem/DA_DLC_PS3_buy.pdf

You gotta go to the Bioware site first and register your account. In my case, I figured my Bioware account was the same as my PSN email address and password. But I assume that in case that doesn't work, you can make an account and link your XBLA/PSN username to it. But I think it should work since it always logs you in to the Bioware servers when you're playing.

The hassle is downloading them all one by one. But hey, it's for free.

EDIT: Yeah, once you do all that, it just pops in on your inventory.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Huh. Well, maybe I'll go back to Origins after I finish up replaying Assassin's Creed 2. I'm kind of in a "replay old games" mood right now anyway.

Mysten

Sep 28, 2008
I had most of the items anyway but it's nice to finally have the few things I was missing. Love BioWare for this.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
I thought to myself 'I guess I should finally fire up that DA:Ultimate Edition that I bought a while ago.'

Two hours later I'm still tearing my hair out trying to get past EA's online activation.

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
Great job Bioware, even if you are a few years late. Now how long will we have to wait until you do the same thing for Mass Effect 2 and 3?

sunsetspawn

Jul 25, 2009
Won't these items unbalance the gameplay?

I'm always skeptical of DLC items after having gotten a few for DA:O. I had my rouge using that Warden Commander armor and I felt that it totally unbalanced the game. With the backstab damage bonus from that armor combined with other backstab enhancing items I had Liliana, whom was in my party for the locks and traps, doing damage comparable to my main warrior while being very well protected. I feel like that, and the few other DLC items I had (ahem, Starfang) enabled me to decimate that game on HARD and wish I had played on NIGHTMARE.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Well that's kinda cool. been looking for an excuse to re-install Origins, again.....now if they could just do this for the Mass Effects, that'd be great.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
dyre said:
Pretty cool. I've already played DA:O twice, which is enough for me, but another DA2 run might be interesting. Just gotta find a mod to increase dungeon variety first.

Andy Chalk said:
A veritable plethora of digital extras is yours! (You do know what a plethora is, right?)
Isn't "veritable" better used when describing an actual object (with the object being used as a metaphor) rather than a concept? As in, would perhaps a "veritable cornucopia" would be more appropriate?
It's a joke from Three Amigos.

Jefe: I have put many beautiful pinatas in the storeroom, each of them filled with little suprises.
El Guapo: Many pinatas?
Jefe: Oh yes, many!
El Guapo: Would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?
Jefe: A what?
El Guapo: A *plethora*.
Jefe: Oh yes, you have a plethora.
El Guapo: Jefe, what is a plethora?
Jefe: Why, El Guapo?
El Guapo: Well, you told me I have a plethora. And I just would like to know if you know what a plethora is. I would not like to think that a person would tell someone he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has *no idea* what it means to have a plethora.
Jefe: Forgive me, El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education. But could it be that once again, you are angry at something else, and are looking to take it out on me?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Vuliev said:
Now, if only they'd do that for the Blackstorm and Blood Dragon armor for ME2.
There was another unique armor, as I recal. Inferno and Terminus. One of them showed up in a DLC pack, but i forget which (inferno, I think). So the other one is still impossible to obtain. The preorder rifle from Steam showed up later in one of the packs too. Some of the Dr. Pepper promo helmets showed up in DLC packs, but I'm not sure all of them did.

That said, I never really liked any of the pre-built armors in ME2 or 3.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
cursedseishi said:
sunsetspawn said:

I'm always skeptical of DLC items after having gotten a few for DA:O. I had my rouge using that Warden Commander armor and I felt that it totally unbalanced the game. With the backstab damage bonus from that armor combined with other backstab enhancing items I had Liliana, whom was in my party for the locks and traps, doing damage comparable to my main warrior while being very well protected. I feel like that, and the few other DLC items I had (ahem, Starfang) enabled me to decimate that game on HARD and wish I had played on NIGHTMARE.
You may be confusing DLC equipment with pre-order fluff. Unless the items are stated to explicitly scale with level, a lot of these would be nothing more than beginner trinkets, or losing any semblance of their effectiveness by the time you get a third or halfway through.

All of these promo items were available from either pre-orders or playing the online tie-in games, and thus immediately available from the start, and largely were designed around that fact.
He is, but he's not wrong. The pre-order items did tend to be balanced for mid to late game, so your memory band or wolf's tooth amulet would be perminantly bolted to your equipment slots for at least the first 60 or so hours of DAO.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
...and sometimes the captcha system plays hell with my phone.

EDIT: double post

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
Starke said:
cursedseishi said:
sunsetspawn said:

You may be confusing DLC equipment with pre-order fluff. Unless the items are stated to explicitly scale with level, a lot of these would be nothing more than beginner trinkets, or losing any semblance of their effectiveness by the time you get a third or halfway through.

All of these promo items were available from either pre-orders or playing the online tie-in games, and thus immediately available from the start, and largely were designed around that fact.
He is, but he's not wrong. The pre-order items did tend to be balanced for mid to late game, so your memory band or wolf's tooth amulet would be perminantly bolted to your equipment slots for at least the first 60 or so hours of DAO.
Chiming in: yes, a little. Then again, at this point after the release, most of the people getting this stuff will have probably already played the game once or even a few times without them so... grind reduction/little boost = not unwelcome. I don't think any one platform had access to ALL of them at launch at once (they kinda sprinkled them here and there) - unless maybe the PC folks.