Dragon Age Writer Calls BioWare Forums "Toxic"

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Gaider might be spot on about the forums, but with Bioware's recent history of unprofessional behaviour and atrocious PR it's not a good thing to be saying. For comparison, the WoW forums are much, much worse but Blizzard community staff are way more diplomatic.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Starke said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Well it dose not help you are writing and designing games for the COD crowd these days.... Quality WHO NEEDZ IT! We can sell more cheap crap!
You know the funny thing though? Aside from the lack of dedicated servers, my impression was always that Activision took quality control on the CoD games very seriously. Granted, I've never spent a lot of time in multiplayer, but, at least with MW, MW2 and Blops, and I've never picked up a CoD game in the same year it was released, but that perception stands.

They're stupid games, and maybe I'm wrong, but near as I can tell, they're not shoddy. In contrast to, you know, Warfighter, or Battlefield 3...
Ture but I am looking at COD as a very over simplified shooter, it might have quality bits here and there (I love the zombie stuff its far more fun/interesting than the game itself) but the over all game is made for morons....( I can call people names since I am a snobish idiot :p)

As simple as Quake 1-2 and DOOM 1-2 were they were works of art compared to the reality TV of COD.

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
"those who remain start to see only those who agree with them- and, because that's all they see, they think that's all there is"
Might not agree with everything he posted but this, along with the HEATED debate on the homosexual DA2 characters (or at least the homosexual MALE ones, male homophobes are RARELY so frothingly offended by lesbians...) proves that Gaider, at least to some extent, knows exactly what he's talking about.

Subject7 said:
Man is that war still going? I was angry at Bioware for like a month, then I got over it. It's 2013 for pete's sake, move on.
Even better: the most active "participants" in it are the ones fastest to shut down any reasonable discussion about it with "UUUUUUUUGH STOP TALKING ABOUT IT ALREADY!!!" Then they go into every forum about it to post about what bullshit it is and even bring it up when anyone's talking tangentially about it.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
stranamente said:
To be fair he also did this: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.274827-David-Gaider-says-Bioware-decides-what-dead-means-in-Dragon-Age-2?page=1 , that ended this way: http://social.bioware.com/%20http:/social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/304/index/6589945/10 .
I think it's fair to say that both parties have a fair share of blame.
Hah, I'd forgotten about that. I was in the thread, too. I still stand by my point that Gaider was unnecessarily rude to a customer bringing up a valid concern (and then justifiably rude to me, after I compared him to Darth Vader).

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
someone put this in picture form please:

"You either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain."

But don't worry, you can rise again Bioware!

Though I was never really that upset. Mass Effect was tons of fun besides the unfinished ending at release. Dragon Age II was pretty lack luster, but I imagine Dragon Age III is gonna knock my socks off.

Or it had better

Meanwhile I'll just play DA:O for the millionth time again.

SIde Note: Stop it with the online passes or don't make multiplayer critical to some of the single player. I'm pretty sure you can't do anything about the online passes, but my Shepard Prime's universe suffered because of you. And I am still not happy about that.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Bioware fans are kind of like Star Wars fans, which is ironic because Bioware also makes Star Wars games. They love(d) Bioware games so much that they absolutely hate anything less than stellar. I'll admit, I was sorely disappointed by Dragon Age 2, but that doesn't suddenly invalidate all of their work in the past. I liked Mass Effect 3 and didn't care about the ending. I still pay for Star Wars: The Old Republic and play it on a consistent basis.

Getting acquired by EA was probably the worst thing that happened to them, given the way EA does business, but if it wasn't for EA footing the bill, we wouldn't have gotten Dragon Age: Origins or Mass Effect 2, so it's not like it was all bad. But EA tends to put a rush on their developers, which creates a less-than-great product. SW:TOR needed more time than it was given, but was pushed out ahead of schedule due to their prodding. They also have unreasonable expectations - I feel terrible for Visceral Games, because EA is going to let the Dead Space franchise go if Dead Space 3 doesn't sell 5 million, and that's with none of the marketing it's predecessor had.

That's not to say that Bioware hasn't made it's share of mistakes, but if people think that the writers need to listen to fans, I'll tell you that those fans are absolutely wrong. If fans knew what would be a great contribution to an existing product, then 96% of fan fiction wouldn't suck as hard as it does.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
Starke said:
Bocaj2000 said:
-SWTOR sucks? That's news to me... I always considered it part of the top tier MMOs. In fact, for every MMO you give me that are better, I'll give you two dozen that are worse.
I know you're being rhetorical here, but let's try off the top of my head:

Age of Conan: Better Combat, more content, releases content more frequently, more classes, better character customization, open world PvP.

Champions Online: Better Combat, more content, releases content more frequently (and yes, this is not a strength of CO).

DC Universe Online: Better Combat, more Classes, better voice acting, allows dual specing, open world PvP.

Guild Wars: Better Combat, better party dynamics, better pvp, companions, multispecing, more class choices.

The Secret World: Better Writing, More varied combat, quests that require actual thought and logical deduction, does not charge you for hot bars, allows dual specing (to about 12 different builds simultaneously), does not actively punish non-subscribing players, releases content more frequently.

Star Trek Online: Better Combat, Space combat that isn't on rails, Full Companion Customization, Better Character Customization, Does not call torture rape of companions "romance", does not charge you for hotbars, more racial choices, releases content more frequently (that is to say, almost never, but still faster than TOR).

Oh, and let's be clear on something, STO is a bad MMO, but it's still better than ToR by leaps and bounds.

By your math you owe me 72 MMOs now that are actually worse than TOR... I'm guessing you meant to include a bunch of burn in a year Korean f2ps, but, you know what? Have fun.

Bocaj2000 said:
-ME3 ending sucks? Where were you during Deus Ex: Human Revolution's complaints? Or Uncharted 3? LA Noir? KotOR 2? All of the others according to our subjective opinions? Where were their cupcakes? Should we revolt every time an ending isn't good enough? Does a denouement you don't want spoil the entire experience? What if I didn't like the ending to Legend of Grimrock? Does that discredit my entire experience? Should I spend countless hours bitching about it to strangers and hold a grudge against the people that made it?
Yeah, the problem is, Deus Ex: Human Revolution never said, "it won't be you press one of three buttons and get the same ending", I mean, it's a Deus Ex game, that's almost to be expected, you kill this guy or that guy, you get a different ending? You push these buttons and run and get a different ending? Yeah, that's EVERY DX game. But Bioware went out and said, "no, we're going to tailor your ending to your game, it won't be this thing where everybody gets the same couple endings, they'll all be unique."

Bocaj2000 said:
-Dragon Age II sucks? Why? Because it isn't as good as DA: Origins? Not being "as good" does not equal "bad". I don't like Mass Effect II as much as its predecessor, but that doesn't make it a bad game. It just means I have a preference. One's enjoyment is not binary; there are numerous ratings in between 'amazing' and 'shitty'.
No, what made ME2 a shitty game was the giant space terminator baby, and Timmy's magical "you will do what I want you to because PLOT powers." ME1 didn't magically make it a stupid game. It did, however, disrupt expectations. If you're writing the second act of a trilogy, it better be the second act of a trilogy, ME2 was Mass Effect: When Collectors Attack, from a plot standpoint. If you're writing the second part of a series, it better fit within the framework of the original, even if it bends it a bit.

It's like if you were doing a movie series, and those films were send-ups of the old sci fi serial adventures, and then decided to make the fourth and fifth outing about a complex political struggle... oh, wait...

Bocaj2000 said:
Why am I typing this? They don't care. Never mind.
Because you were waiting for someone to wander in and show you the error of your ways, enjoy.
I owe you 72 bad MMOs? I'll just give you this: http://mmohuts.com/ Browse at your own pace. Trust me when I say that SWTOR is a top tier MMO, I have tried a LOT of them, including the ones you listed. And even though I agree with some of your choices, your reasons are inane and subjective. I hate to say, but I'm pretty much going to dismiss this section of your argument until you can give more legitimate reasons than "better combat" and frequent content.

Second, the ending. I don't care what Bioware said. Answer my questions and don't change the subject this time.

Third, sequels. What's your point? You just ranted on how you didn't like the Reaper larva. What does that have to do with what I said? You once again ignored what I said and ranted about something for no reason.

Lastly, your clever comment at the end... all you did was prove my point. You don't care what I have to say; you just want to complain. I wasn't expecting to agree with you; I wasn't even expecting you to be polite. But I expected that you would at least answer my questions.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
He's right. He's not a perfect human being, but he's earned a smidgen of sympathy from me that time he shut down that homophobic douchebag, so I'm willing to take his side on this one.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
I must say, his verbatim quotes are very reasonable, and level-headed.

I foresee people reading only the title of this article, and spraying vitriol at the poor guy.

Aug 1, 2010
Sounds like a smart guy.

Those forums are garbage. The people there represent the worst that gaming has to offer.

Though I never like the word "Entitled" in ANY context...

Lictor Face

Nov 14, 2011
I hope DA3 will be good though. DA2 removed all the tactics and thought processing involved in adding the skills for each character and changed it into VANILLA SINGLE SKILL UPGRADES ALA MASS EFFECT. While i did play ME3 and 2 and enjoyed both immensely, ME3 is a shooter. The meat of the game eventually boils down to shooting skill and your usage of abilities. DA 1 was an immensely challenging squad-based-esque tactical dungeon runner. DA2 turned it into fable two with companions.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Oh dear, a large, somewhat controversial dev's forum being an utter cesspool wallowing in its own negativity when it comes to -anything-?

Who'd have thought? =O

Seventh Actuality said:
For comparison, the WoW forums are much, much worse but Blizzard community staff are way more diplomatic.
They've been dealing with that for a good five years now. I doubt anyone can get under their skin.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Always nice to see people calling the people who paid money for their products whiners. Don't worry Mr. Gaider, if you keep it up you wont have to worry about whiners not liking the games you've contributed anymore, cause your company will be out of business when they stop buying them.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
thanatos388 said:
I think you misunderstood. It was that people wanted a refusal ending that somehow ends with you winning against the reapers with your magical EMS. Yes the whole ending is bullshit, the whole game has a horrible plot. Why could't Shepard tell the kid to just leave? Hey your wrong the solution doesn't work so just turn off the reapers and go away. But no Bioware wanted a dark ending and people want to somehow just have a way of winning without starchild.
From what I saw it wasn't so much that people wanted to tell the Starchild to fuck off so much as just cutting the bastard, and giving some actual closure to the game, instead we got the extended cut which actually added more nauseating exposition... and the option to snuff the little bastard... so, I guess partial credit.

So far as a "dark ending." Bioware has gotten it in their heads that they're now mature adults writing for mature adults, and instead they've gone from writing "teen fantasy" to writing "angsty teen fantasy". In other words, Mass Effect was screwed.

EDIT: And yes, you're right, I did read what you said as, "all them whiners just wanted a happy ending", which, I've honestly seen off enough of Bioware's fans for it to start to blur together.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Bocaj2000 said:
I owe you 72 bad MMOs? I'll just give you this: http://mmohuts.com/ Browse at your own pace. Trust me when I say that SWTOR is a top tier MMO, I have tried a LOT of them, including the ones you listed. And even though I agree with some of your choices, your reasons are inane and subjective. I hate to say, but I'm pretty much going to dismiss this section of your argument until you can give more legitimate reasons than "better combat" and frequent content.
More frequent content updates. You know, new things to do, new places to go, new people to kill, and turn upside down for loot. New content. Stuff most MMOs that actually want to keep subscribers turn out on a fairly regular basis.

As to better combat, combat that goes beyond standing in one place staring at someone waiting for cooldowns to finish. Hell, a quarter of the game's classes rely on literally NEVER moving in combat at all as a mechanic.

Bocaj2000 said:
Second, the ending. I don't care what Bioware said. Answer my questions and don't change the subject this time.
I didn't. And you may not care what Bioware said, but a lot of people did. If you can't understand how lying to people might produce a certain level of dissatisfaction, then I'm pretty sure I can't help you.

As to Deus Ex and Uncharted? That's like complaining that Doom 3 involves using a gun or that Tomb Raider expects you to play as a girl.

Bocaj2000 said:
Third, sequels. What's your point? You just ranted on how you didn't like the Reaper larva. What does that have to do with what I said? You once again ignored what I said and ranted about something for no reason.
Okay... no, wait, then who wrote this?

Bocaj2000 said:
I don't like Mass Effect II as much as its predecessor, but that doesn't make it a bad game.
Oh, right, that would be you. So, no, I was talking about what you said. Exactly what you said. Again, I'm sorry, but if you don't know what you wrote, maybe you should reread it, or take notes, or something.

And here's the part that might confuse you a bit, I don't actually hate, or even dislike DA2.

Bocaj2000 said:
Lastly, your clever comment at the end... all you did was prove my point. You don't care what I have to say; you just want to complain. I wasn't expecting to agree with you; I wasn't even expecting you to be polite. But I expected that you would at least answer my questions.
Did you now? So, you knew I was going to post, how interesting. Well, as we established I did answer your questions, and, while I wasn't terribly polite, you still haven't answered your own question there: Why are you typing? Especially if you actually think no one cares. If it's not looking for someone who has an opinion they can back with evidence, I really can't tell you.

Staal

Jan 11, 2013
Maybe it has something to do with how BioWare has set itself up as preaching liberals wanting to enforce their world views on everyone else. Just take the whole debacle around Dragon Age 2 and the bi-sexuality of characters. They deliberately under served their biggest demographic. When people complained BioWare and David Gaider in true liberal-tyranny style of the modern day castigated those people by alluding to them being x, y, z. Alongside a sub-par product in DA2 and other game disappointments (I don't play Mass Effect so I can just go on hearsay) I don't see how it is difficult to see why there is such dislike for them.

Personally I have no problem with bi-sexuality in a game but the manner in which BioWare preaches political correctness to people deserves nothing but contempt. If they want to offer something to a minority group, great, but then do it in the appropriate manner, i.e. write an interesting character to appeal to a section of the community. Instead they copy-paste a lazy bi-option for nearly every character and then condescendingly write off complaints from straight "white" guys that they had fewer normal romance options than before with comments that they are bigots/spoiled etc. Or reskinning characters to suit "appropriate representation" when it makes no sense (Lothering in DA1 for example)? I didn't even care about the generalized bi-option. I just thought it was rather cheap. But the response to those complaints? Shocking to say the least. There was not one single white human female romance option in DA2 and you act surprised if a section of the community says "hang on". Really? They have every reason to be disappointed and denouncing them as *insert favourite lefty put down* is pathetic and disingenuous.

I for one will have a careful look at the next DA not because I am intrinsically opposed to anyone's freedom or such nonsense but because I get enough PC forced down my throat at work and on regular TV for me to not want to willingly subject myself to it in my gaming hobby.

Of course this is just one topic that some people are upset about but overall BioWare has done itself no favours. There is bad thinking going on at top.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
ZippyDSMlee said:
Starke said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Well it dose not help you are writing and designing games for the COD crowd these days.... Quality WHO NEEDZ IT! We can sell more cheap crap!
You know the funny thing though? Aside from the lack of dedicated servers, my impression was always that Activision took quality control on the CoD games very seriously. Granted, I've never spent a lot of time in multiplayer, but, at least with MW, MW2 and Blops, and I've never picked up a CoD game in the same year it was released, but that perception stands.

They're stupid games, and maybe I'm wrong, but near as I can tell, they're not shoddy. In contrast to, you know, Warfighter, or Battlefield 3...
Ture but I am looking at COD as a very over simplified shooter, it might have quality bits here and there (I love the zombie stuff its far more fun/interesting than the game itself) but the over all game is made for morons....( I can call people names since I am a snobish idiot :p)

As simple as Quake 1-2 and DOOM 1-2 were they were works of art compared to the reality TV of COD.
Yeah. There's some surprisingly sophisticated historical nods in Black Ops' single player campaign, they run at right angles to the material itself, but it's kind of amusing to anyone who studied the Cold War in college. The juxtaposition is pretty damn hilarious. You have the insanity of a CoD game in full action movie mode over Operation 40, which was an actual operation that had the intent of overthrowing Castro. The Gulag was a real place, which had an uprising around the timeframe the game sets it to. I can't remember every detail, but the game is absolutely rife with ludicrous reimaginings of historical events, or historical places. And of course, the fear of sleeper agents, and Manchurian candidate reprogramming were major conspiracy theory at the time.

I don't know, I find Blops fascinating in that it's exactly the kind of pulp that MW and MW2 were doing, but, the themes only make sense in the time frame of the game, while still liberally snapping up anything that was declassified in the 50-40 years since the game's events and slapping them into the material.

Other than that? Yeah, it's all dumb fun. And I mean really dumb. Anyway, I'm sorry, I literally don't know why I felt the need to defend the franchise. Though I have noticed in the last few Activision games I've played, they seem to have figured out that QA is a vital element to high sales... if only Ubisoft and EA would follow suit... :\

EDIT: Yeah, I reread your original comment, and, yeah, that does pretty much sum up EA's stance these last few years... so, uh... cookie I guess? Sorry for being really weird there.

Ascarus

Feb 5, 2010
Scyla said:
Maybe they should start to make decent games....

:p
yep. while two of their last three games have been commercial successes (DA2 and ME3) the quality has dropped considerably. ME3 was 90% good so i don't knock it too hard, but DA2 was an absolute shit storm of crap, problems and repetition. I never played SW:TOR but given how quickly subs ran away and they went to a free MMO service speaks volumes to its longevity.