Dragon+ App Outperforms People Magazine and Maxim In One Week

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Dragon+ App Outperforms People Magazine and Maxim In One Week

The official Dungeons & Dragons magazine app - Dragon+ - surpassed both People Magazine and Maxim in a single week.

Tabletop RPGs are more popular than ever, but it's not a form of entertainment many call mainstream. Perhaps that's changing, if figures for the Dragon+ app are anything to go on. This free service - launched to replace the long-running Dragon Magazine - has quickly become one of the most popular apps <a href=https://itunes.apple.com/us/genre/ios-newsstand-entertainment/id13015?mt=8>on iTunes' Newsstand. In fact, Wizards of the Coast noted that Dragon+ reached the #1 Newsstand Entertainment category in its first week - surpassing major publications like People Magazine and Maxim.

Sadly, exact download figures for Dragon+ aren't available at this time. But according to a Wizards of the Coast press release, the app hit some very substantial benchmarks. After launching on April 30, it was featured in Apple's "Best New Apps" section, rose to #1 in the Newsstand's Entertainment category, and was ranked #3 in the entire Newsstand.

It's lowered in the rankings since then, but in fairness, Dragon+'s next issue won't launch until June. Meanwhile <a href=https://itunes.apple.com/us/genre/ios-newsstand-entertainment/id13015?mt=8>it's still sitting within the Top 40 as of writing, beating several other gaming and entertainment news publications. Meanwhile ratings sit at a solid 4.5 and 4.59 for iTunes and Android, respectively.

That's not to say the entire entrainment world is flocking to read about Dungeons & Dragons, but it certainly suggests Dragon+ has a very solid following, perhaps even compared to Dragon Magazine. This debut issue featured interviews with Dan Tudge and Rob Overmeyer on the Elemental Evil storyline, along with details on the Forgotten Realms setting. Six issues are expected to be published every year.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
josemlopes said:
Are People Magazine and Maxim free?
No, both require a subscription or per-issue purchase.

infohippie said:
A much more important question, is Dragon+ available on Android devices?
Yes [https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wizards.dragonplus]

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Being free I'm not as surprised but I AM surprised there are so many people interested in D&D. I wish I could get a heat-map metric of where its being downloaded/used because I feel like I can't find anyone who plays D&D or TTRPGS at all where I live. In Tampa or Orlando maybe but I'm not for driving out of town.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Another important question is why the Hell can't I find it? Is it gated to the US version of the App Store?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
IamLEAM1983 said:
Another important question is why the Hell can't I find it? Is it gated to the US version of the App Store?
Try searching for "Wizards of the Coast." Searches for "Dragon" get buried under thousands of free-to-be-shit games.