Dragon Ball: Super Debuts - First Dragon Ball Anime in 18 Years

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Dragon Ball: Super Debuts - First Dragon Ball Anime in 18 Years

Dragon Ball: Super is the direct continuation of Dragon Ball Z, and the first Dragon Ball anime in 18 years.

Akira Toriyama's classic martial arts anime Dragon Ball has seen somewhat of a resurgence in recent years. After a couple of an entirely new anime series [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138637-F-Is-For-Frieza-In-New-Dragon-Ball-Z-Movie-Coming-2015] would be made. Dubbed Dragon Ball: Super, its first episode has just debuted in Japan and it is glorious.

Picking things up from the end of the Majin Buu saga, Dragon Ball: Super completely ignores the travesty that was Dragon Ball: GT, and instead tells a new story of Goku and his friends. The first episode is a comedy piece - Chi-Chi wants money so she sends Goku out to get a job... as a radish farmer.

We know that the first two "sagas" of the anime will be a retelling of the two most recently released Dragon Ball movies: Battle of Gods and Resurrection: F. After which... who knows?

The episode has not been released in English yet, and there are currently no plans to bring it stateside, but considering previous Dragon Ball remake Dragon Ball: Kai made it over, we can probably expect it sometime in the next few years.

For now, please enjoy the opening sequence!

recurve6

Jan 8, 2011
As much as I really, REALLY want to watch this, I'm going to wait until Funi dubs it - I can't stand the original Japanese dub. I'm glad they're doing something with DBZ again, though.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I thought Funimation already said they were working closely with the studio in Japan to get these dubbed in the west ASAP. Anyway, seems weird that they are retelling Battle of the Gods and Resurrection of F. Hopefully they don't take too long to get through.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
We know that the first two "sagas" of the anime will be a retelling of the two most recently released Dragon Ball movies: Battle of Gods and Resurrection: F. After which... who knows?
If that's the case, I hope they retcon the new transformations a little. The recolors don't bother me too much, but do remind me of pallet swapped enemies in RPGs. The names, though, are horrible. Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan sounds like a 4th grader's half-hearted effort at fan fiction. [small]Super Pooper Scoopers are just legend![/small]

If one good thing came out of GT, it was SSJ 4. How it was attained was kinda dumb, but it looked cool, while not being as ridiculous in the hair department as SSJ3.
recurve6 said:
As much as I really, REALLY want to watch this, I'm going to wait until Funi dubs it - I can't stand the original Japanese dub. I'm glad they're doing something with DBZ again, though.
Masako Nozawa might have her fans, but I was never fond of Goku and adult Gohan sounding like toddlers. I also prefer the Bruce Falconer soundtrack to the original Japanese music. I never watched Kai because of it going with the latter.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
recurve6 said:
Pretty much yeah. I've just got too much nostalgia pinned up in the english voices to watch DBZ any other way. I don't usually mind subs either, but DBZ and Cowboy Bebop are two animes I make a specific point to only watched dubbed.

That being said, I am pretty excited to see how this all goes. Hopefully it'll be the DBZ continuation we all deserve this time. Maybe they'll actually do something different with super saiyan 4 (I always founded it exceedingly dumb looking) when they get to it again.

Mostly though, I wanna see the redemption of Gohan D: He was built up as something amazing from the very first episode all the way through the Cell Saga. Then he became an adult, and his mother ruined him, and he only did one or two cool things ever again.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
rcs619 said:
recurve6 said:
Pretty much yeah. I've just got too much nostalgia pinned up in the english voices to watch DBZ any other way. I don't usually mind subs either, but DBZ and Cowboy Bebop are two animes I make a specific point to only watched dubbed.

That being said, I am pretty excited to see how this all goes. Hopefully it'll be the DBZ continuation we all deserve this time. Maybe they'll actually do something different with super saiyan 4 (I always founded it exceedingly dumb looking) when they get to it again.

Mostly though, I wanna see the redemption of Gohan D: He was built up as something amazing from the very first episode all the way through the Cell Saga. Then he became an adult, and his mother ruined him, and he only did one or two cool things ever again.
I really hope one of the future Sagas focuses on Gohan, Piccolo and Pan. Piccolo and Gohan were the heart of the show in the Saiyan Saga and for like half of the Frieza Saga. I like Goku, but we get way too much of him.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Finally, I'm so happy about this lol...
I haven't watch an anime in a while that I've been excited about...

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Fappy said:
Anyway, seems weird that they are retelling Battle of the Gods and Resurrection of F. Hopefully they don't take too long to get through.
I recently watched Battle of the Gods and while I don't know how the uncut and theatrical versions differ, the Uncut version felt a lot like several episodes of the anime mashed into a film to me. It wasn't a bad movie, it just seemed to have a lot going on in it. I can't really watch Ressurection F yet since it hasn't released on disc in the US...kinda hoping it'll be out here sooner rather than later.

In the meantime though, I can at least count down the days until Extreme Butouden launches...October 20th won't get here soon enough.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Dunno how I feel about this. I haven't actually watched either of the two most recent movies, but their plots sound kind of... eh. I don't know. I like the idea that the universe is a whole lot bigger than everyone was led to believe, and that there are fighters out there that make DBZ's cast seem like a joke, but at the same time it all just seems like too much.

Hairless Mammoth said:
If one good thing came out of GT, it was SSJ 4. How it was attained was kinda dumb, but it looked cool, while not being as ridiculous in the hair department as SSJ3.
I have to respectfully disagree there. I thought the form looked downright silly, especially with its magically appearing cargo pants. I liked the idea that it was a manifestation of their simian nature (which is absent in previous transformations), but it didn't impress me visually.

I thought the saving grace of GT was the Shadow Dragons - or rather, the concept of them. The execution of that last saga was actually pretty damn horrible, but the idea of the final villains of the series being the Dragonballs incarnate was genius.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Fappy said:
I really hope one of the future Sagas focuses on Gohan, Piccolo and Pan. Piccolo and Gohan were the heart of the show in the Saiyan Saga and for like half of the Frieza Saga. I like Goku, but we get way too much of him.
It'd have to be after a substantial time skip, as this series starts before Gohan and Videl have even married.
OT: I hope the Ginyu Force get revisited in some way. They CLEARLY had a big impact on the way Gohan developed, and I want to see some reactions, and maybe a 7(8?)-person group pose.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
ccggenius12 said:
Fappy said:
It'd have to be after a substantial time skip, as this series starts before Gohan and Videl have even married.
OT: I hope the Ginyu Force get revisited in some way. They CLEARLY had a big impact on the way Gohan developed, and I want to see some reactions, and maybe a 7(8?)-person group pose.
Oh yeah, I am expecting some time skips. Z had quite a few, and considering the Frieza movie takes place a few years after Battle of the Gods I imagine this series will continue in that tradition.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
GT started off as a parody, if I recall correctly. It was never supposed to be canon. Anyway, I'm not really interested. It's nice and maybe I'll see it some day. If I was still a kid I'd flip out. I do have a friend who's 30 years old now and I'm pretty sure he will flip out when I tell him. It's really strange too because he's not a geek at all. He's one of those too cool for school guys. He's into cars, bodybuilding, nightlife, partying, drinking etc. But he freakin' loves Dragon Ball.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
rcs619 said:
Well, now that I am old -and looking at statistics-, many child prodegies as well as regular people's hopes and dreams just hardly ever pan out. That's why in fantasy/books we always follow the ONE person who actually does make it all the way to the top. So... DBZ; somehow realistic in at least one department? ;)

I've never liked Gohan myself. Since I started off with DB I was always about Goku, and then later about Vegeta. So I am hoping for some major Vegeta redemption!!! ^_^

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Makes me wonder why they bothered doing Battle of Gods and Resurrection [F] as movies if they're just going to cover the same territory in Dragon Ball Super. Maybe there'll be a few changes here and there to spice things up a bit, otherwise I hope it doesn't take too long until we get something new! Although that being said, more Frieza is never a bad thing...

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I wouldn't say it was glorious, the animation quality isn't even at what was typically offered from DBZ but it is nice to finally see story continuity I actually enjoy after so long. I do hope Gohan gets to shine as he always was meant to and it doesn't just end up as more "goku saves the day" story lines over and over.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
I hated "battle of the gods", but while I was watching the opening it really dawned on me, "I'm watching a true DBZ sequel!". It's a strange feeling to describe after all these years.
(Also, this episode keeps furthering the school of thought of Goku being a terrible father and husband)

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
"travesty that was Dragon Ball: GT"? Really? it made use of characters from all over the series, including Uub who had very very little to go from, fit characters in pretty convincingly (Gohan going all business rather than martial artist considering his education, Gotenks being a bit of a wannabe player) and took you around the universe somewhat. Also, Baby was a fairly formidable foe. And Piccolo met a pretty suitable and well rounded end (going from the spawn of an attempted Earth-taker to protector to ultimately deciding to die with the planet). Travesty? No. That's a really ignorant way to look at it imo.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I would like to see the older characters being used in this new series. It has been such an incredibly long time since some of the original characters have done anything, for example, the last fight Yamcha won was against the Invisible Man.

I'm sure that Toriyama has many great plans for this new series and many good jokes. Whatever he does, I'll still love it.