Dragon Ball Xenoverse, and all things there-of.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Wait. So... it's good? The "create your own cannibalized Dragonball fanfic character" DBZ game I've been wanting for years? (not Dragonball Online)

I... don't know how to feel about this. Excuse me while I check my wallet.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
The game started off great, but the madness finally seeped in.

- Computer opponents are either way too easy (I'm not even good at fighting games and I can combo them into oblivion) OR they are ultimately cheesy (see above complaints regarding SSJ and Ultimates)

- Acquiring moves for custom characters is tedious

- Fighting the same battles to level up gets boring

- Enemies bug during quests and secret objectives cannot be completed

- Vanishing is broken

- Only Saiyan's get cool transformations, proving that the franchise ultimately only gives a fuck about Saiyans

- Equipment stat increase choices are mind boggling, resulting in me never changing my appearance.

The game has a lot of potential, but I'm having a hard time finding a reason to keep playing it. I've played MMOs that are less tedious than Xenoverse can be.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
I usually can't play a fighter for more then 20 minutes at a time though, so it's saying something if this game has me as hooked as it does.
RJ 17 said:
have to keep Super Buu from dying...and he seems magnetically attracted to all of Goku and Gohan's spammed Kamehame's...LITERALLY dive-dodging straight into them. >.>
lol reminds me of this:

I'm dreading getting to those missions if that's how they are -_-

If you "fail" a mission, do you keep all your XP and loot, or do you have to get all that shit back on the time you DO clear/win?
You keep some of the exp you earned, but none of the bonuses (i.e. using 3 throws, hitting with 10 regular ki blasts, etc) nor do you keep any of the loot you got

Hardest story mission by far (at least for me): trying to keep Krillin and Gohan alive while having to take out 20 respawning Frieza henchmen. Oh I do just fine...but Krillin and Gohan bruise like a couple of bananas.

Mahorfeus said:
Wait. So... it's good? The "create your own cannibalized Dragonball fanfic character" DBZ game I've been wanting for years? (not Dragonball Online)
Funny you should mention that, Game Grumps did an hour long episode on the game and were laughing at everyone's OC...saying "This is literally Deviant Art: The Game." :p

Because there actually is a surprisingly decent range of customization options for your created character.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I've actually had a few questions about this game. Anyone here mind being awesome and answering them?

Can I play this game solo?
Are the fights insanely hard?
Do I need to know Dragon Ball to enjoy this game?
Are stats that important?

I've been checking this game out and my friend at work is singing its praises. I'd enjoy some second opinions.

Jak2364

Feb 9, 2010
Finally a thread about this game! I've been waiting to find opinions about it, I don't understand why I haven't seen any reviews from any of the usual websites I go to yet. Judging from what I've seen and the opinions here, sounds like I should get this when I get the chance. The only thing that's confused me is the voice acting. It's mostly the same voices, so why does it somehow sound...worse? Was it always so bad and I'm just now noticing or did they just not try with their performances this time around? ._.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Elfgore said:
I've actually had a few questions about this game. Anyone here mind being awesome and answering them?
Only if you answer what anime your avatar is from. :p

Can I play this game solo?
You certainly can.

Are the fights insanely hard?
The difficulty curve is kinda a roller-coaster on this one...some fights are indeed very challenging yet when you get past them the next few fights will be a breeze.

This is - at least from my experience - due to some of the fights having objectives of "don't let this chucklehead die". Even if your'e doing fine, if your moronic AI companion that you have to protect gets beat, you'll lose.

From the main story quests, so long as you're appropriately leveled, there's only one or two REALLY challenging fights, though. The rest are pretty fair/easy.

Do I need to know Dragon Ball to enjoy this game?
Hmmmmmm, most likely. If you're not a fan of the series/don't know much about it you probably won't appreciate it nearly as much as someone else who is a fan of the series.

The main story line, for instance, has your created character showing up to take part in many of the series' most famous battles. If you don't know much about the series then it'll just seem like a random assortment of fights.

Edit: This should go without saying, but the main story line contains pretty big spoilers from the series if you haven't seen it. :p

Are stats that important?
From what I've noticed, they're more tweaks to your character than anything else. You generally grow more powerful as you level up, but if you want to specialize in being a brawler then you can put points into your standard attacks while if you want to be more specialized in firing off big beam attacks you'd put points into your ki attacks. I went for a pretty right-down-the-middle balanced approach with my first character and she did just fine.

I've been checking this game out and my friend at work is singing its praises. I'd enjoy some second opinions.
This topic has actually been pretty successful in pointing out all the negatives about the game, however as you can see the general concensus is that the game is still - over all - very fun.

Again, though, if you don't know the series or aren't particularly a fan of it, you likely won't have the same amount of appreciation for it.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Anime is called Haganai. I wouldn't get too excited either. That scene is from when they play Monster Hunter in episode 2 I think, the rest of the series is a comedy with harem and romantic themes. Lot's a fanservice too.

And thank you for all response. My friend is a big fan of Dragon Ball so that could easily make him favor it more. I'll most likely pick it up when it drops in price a bit. Thanks, RJ

Sep 14, 2009
RJ 17 said:
ugh gross. that's gonna piss me off later, I'm sure.

Anytime I notice an ally taking too much damage, I tend to do the golden spear move where I fly into the person pressing strong attack (Y button for controllers) to get the fucker away so the ally can hopefully recover a bit.

speaking of buttons, what is everyone using for controls? since it's a fighter, I plugged in my controller right away and it seems like the game is pretty well built with a controller in mind, anyone using the keyboard?

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I miss BT3's roster size. Other than that, I love the game. I've been waiting for it, and it hasn't really let me down.

As excited as I was for female super saiyans, I made a female Buu first. Pretty balanced in approach, I do what I gotta do. I love the ability to mix and match moves. At times I'm spoiled for choices as I love destructo disc type moves, and mouth beams, and energy blades.
Outfits have maybe a little too much impact on stats, but I guess I'm ok with it. Most aren't hideous, and I'd flip if they let me dress as Agent Mai.

Kinda hoping that Buu get some sort of transformation, and Namekians, and Frieza race.

The cheating AI kinda irks me with their no sells of any attack they get hit by from psychic move to candy beam to what ever attacks, or throws.
Speaking of cheating AI, them staying in frikking super saiyan permanently is annoying. getting hit by a half dozen ultimates in less than 2 minutes is pretty damn rough. I swear if Trunks power geysers me again. =-=

The servers are being dumb, but honestly, I can't remember the last game that had online and didn't have issues. Seems like no one can adequately prepare. Not even Rockstar, mind you. Not that it makes it right, just saiyan'.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Scarim Coral said:
Haven't played it (it's on my wishlist) but I letting you know 2 things-

1. It turns out they Takahata101 do voices on of the player character voices that you choose in the character creation. It's number 8-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKWxRtn5-Yg#t=1067

2. TeamFourStar are doing a letplays on it http://teamfourstar.com/video/tfs-plays-dragonball-xenoverse-1/#video-container All hail Dumpling!
Ah, I knew I recognized the DBZA nappa voice in there, I first heard it from one of those random patroller NPCs in a parallel mission. I don't know if it was required, but I had vegeta and nappa on my team, and when I went up to duel him, his line was "hey vegeta" in that same voice, he also had a line during the fight where he said something along the lines of "hey, it's me" which I'm assuming he was referring to the computer controlled nappa on my team.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
shintakie10 said:
My other annoyance is the transformations. Kaioken sucks. I know in lore it sucks compared to literally every other transformation (even giant form namekians have fewer downsides than that, and they turn themselves into gigantic targets!), but making it so you deplete stamina makes it borderline unusable. Dashing at enemies uses stamina. Getting hit while using an ultimate reduces stamina. Vanishing uses stamina. Hell, blocking uses stamina. If you drain your bar all the way with Kaioken you sometimes can't use any stamina using things until your bar charges (I have no idea what causes that, but its really annoyin). Compare that to SSJ where you drain Ki which only fuels special attacks and it makes it look even weaker.
Kaioken x20 is actually really legit if you combine it with the right abilities. Right now I have 6 bars of Stamina and can keep x20 going for a long ass time using stamina drain (which steals and heals 3 full stam bars, DAMN!). Drain can also be used right when you drop out of kaioken to eliminate the downtime of stamina depletion. Actions that require Stamina are FREE during Kaioken x20 (not for x2 or x3) so you can spam vanish, dash everywhere and spam your defensive Ultra.

Combined with Recoome Kick (which buffs your Attack Power) and Form K (which gives you temporary super armor) you can wreck pretty much anything in the game no problem including Beerus and Super Saiyan God Goku by comboing straight through their combos and then stun-locking them.

I tend to hold off on Kaioken until the right opportunity, and tend only to use it at full Ki and Stamina. Stacked with all the above it is brutal.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Solaire of Astora said:
The_Blue_Rider said:
One question about this game, does it support local multiplayer or is it online only ?
It does support local multiplayer. Which is pretty nice, for sure. However, there are limitations: 1v1 is the only option, and there's only one stage.

Kinda sucks, but at least it's there.
The one stage thing sucks, but the fact I can play it with a friend is awesome, we had so much fun playing Buodkai Tenkaichi against eachother for hours on end

RolandOfGilead

Dec 17, 2010
I knew it would take until they did absolutely every dragonball story they could before they'd allow a player-created character.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
RolandOfGilead said:
I knew it would take until they did absolutely every dragonball story they could before they'd allow a player-created character.
Nah, there's a new movie coming out post Battle of the Gods. In fact I think they're making a new dragon ball series, but that's just a rumor. Also a previous dragon ball had a guy only create a character mode.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Tonight, the adventures of Space Jam Sam began. His progress shall know no limits. Probably. The only thing hindering him is low resolution due to my crappy PC and really, really bad graphics. Also due to crappy PC. But he shall overcome.

Dagda Mor

Jun 23, 2011
I made a female Majin named Birbu. I'm not a clever person, so I didn't try to make any sort of clever name--I just made up some nonsense that sounded somewhat feminine and Buu-ish. I started out pretty physical, but as the game started getting harder, I settled into high defense, stamina, and blast damage. I like to play aggressive, so I put a lot of points into basic attacks, but most of my damage output is still from my ki attacks, and even at close range I use Death Slice to top off a combo. I like to combo the ultimate that damages and paralyzes enemies with a chargeable super. I noticed a bunch of Frieza race characters trying too hard to have cold-related names, so I made one simply named Refrigerator.

As for the game itself, Xenoverse is a weird sort of game that seems awful on paper, and indeed you can see a lot of flaws while playing it, but the game is surprisingly enjoyable when you're actually playing it. The grinding is obnoxious, but not so obnoxious to be a deal-breaker, the character customization sits in the uncomfortable area between neat and awesome, high-level play is trivial, the writing fails to take your gender into account 99% of the time and often doesn't match up with what's actually happening, and although the actors all sound pitch-perfect, their lines are delivered terribly and it sounds like they have no direction to speak of.

And yet, I just can't stop playing it.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I've been thinking about it. I never got into any DBZ games, but it got overwhelmingly positive user reviews on Steam, and the concept looked impressive.

Still, this thread is making me have second thoughts about getting it. A game that you win by exploiting AI and spamming attacks sounds like it will get old very fast.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I was going to buy it until I learned the local multiplayer only has the one stage. Going to get it when it's really cheap now because of that. I have seen plenty of other stages that would have been fine with the single screen local versus mode, but only the world tournament stage. Considering my flat mates and I are huge DBZ fans and played Raging Blast 2 to death, this is disappointing.