Dragon Fin Soup Empowers Women, Alcoholics

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Dragon Fin Soup Empowers Women, Alcoholics

There's additionally a detailed crafting system, which will let you craft everything from a delicious meal to equippable items. I only saw the intro, so I'm not sure how deep it goes, but you are able to experiment with mixing reagents to see what concoction you come up with.

The demo I played was basically the first 30-45 minutes of the game. It begins in a dream sequence, and basically ends with an undead invasion of Red Robin's town, where she is forced to fend off a slew of shambling zombies. Red Robin doesn't particularly fit any of the preconceptions you might have for game protagonists. She's not a loner, enjoying the company and conversation with her townsfolk. She's not angsty, she's just looking for her next job so she can get a little coin. She's also an unrepenting alcoholic.

I played on a touch screen - it'll be launching on PC and PS4 before it makes its way to mobile - and it controlled fairly well, though the touch-interface is still a work in progress, since it's not always intuitive where exactly you need to touch for certain actions. I'll almost certainly be playing with a controller on release, though, since it lends itself to slightly better control for more tactical choices during combat.
[gallery=3110]
Despite being a classic isometric view, the graphics are gorgeous, and I'm told will be full HD. Taking a dark twist on fairy tale tropes, Dragon Fin Soup is looking like a grim story in oddly cheerful trappings. The game's website [http://dragonfinsoup.com/] has a Beta tab labeled "coming soon," so keep an eye out if a roguelike JRPG sounds like it might be up your alley.

Dragon Fin Soup is targeting either holiday 2014 or Spring 2015 for release across PS3, PS4, PS Vita, PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android.

[kickstarter=grimmbros/dragon-fin-soup]

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I'm kind of sick of the modern, dark takes on the Grimms fairy tales but this seems like it remembers to have a laugh and i'm all for spunky, adventuring tom-boys.

Hang on... the worlds on the back of a giant turtle... huh.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Why Little Red? Aside from the studio name I'm not seeing anything that references fairy tales (ok, a quick still pic @ :58 could be snow white but there's no indication that's not just concept art they threw in). The game title ([i/]Dragon Fin Soup[/i], wtf does that mean?), enemies, and world all seem to be completely original so cribbing Little Red just seems lazy to me.

Also, is the alcoholism just character flavor? Because from the article title and that "Drunken Master" claim I'm expecting it to be integrated into the game mechanics.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
I tried this at PAX East, it was on the outermost row of the main hall, kinda close to the giant hamster ball + oculus VR thing. It was a pretty typical roguelike, in a good way. A bit on the comedic side, but gameplay wise it was typical roguelike plus the crafting system you've mentioned.

Looking forward to it, but I'm a fan of roguelikes.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
So...basically, A Wizard's Lizard, but with what looks like an actual budget, and not done in Flash.

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
Ah sweet, a drunken fantasy character. Now that is a premise I can get behind.

Got a very Lara Craft kind of empowerment thing going on. I dig it.

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
Rocket Girl said:
I've seen this game before. It looks very interesting. Her design is pretty icky, though - the whole hips to the side, big bust, heels and short shorts thing.
Actually, she appears to be wearing a short skirt.

OT: Anyway, this reminds me a little bit of the 2000 released isometric action game "Nox" for dark, humorous fantasy, but that had a more realistic aesthetic. The more recent Bastion has similar cartoon aesthetics and more original setting, sans most of the laughs, just add feels.

The roguelike twist is the only reason I could see interest in this title, but not from me.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Empowering or not, it seems like a fun game with interesting mechanics and a cool art style. I'll have to keep an eye on this.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
piscian said:
pretty certain the main character is a direct rip off of grace helbig

http://www.reactiongifs.com/grace-helbig/
Yes, because this "Grace Helbig" person created the idea of animated gifs on a short loop.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Antigonius said:
Excuse me where? I, off course, don't any sexism, but neither do I see any sort of empowerment. Or is nowadays alcoholism + women = empowerment of the latter?
Don't mind The Escapist, they've been bitten by the clickbait bug the past few weeks or so. Hopefully it'll pass, because I'm honestly getting tired of reading news articles that are only tangentially related to the interesting-looking header.

That said though, Red Robin is a strong action character who isn't overtly sexualized. I suppose we could debate about what a character needs to be "empowering", but as compared to the usual fare of female leads who need to be ultra sexy and/or ditsy (Bayonetta, Lollipop Chainsaw, Classic Tomb Raider - even if it was mostly in promo material), she is at least a step in the right direction if nothing else. Of course, give Anita time. She'll find some reason that Red Robin is blatantly sexist in her portrayal.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Antigonius said:
Excuse me where? I, off course, don't any sexism, but neither do I see any sort of empowerment. Or is nowadays alcoholism + women = empowerment of the latter?
It's a hot topic to talk about nowadays. It's an exploitable topic.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Antigonius said:
kael013 said:
Why Little Red? Aside from the studio name I'm not seeing anything that references fairy tales (ok, a quick still pic @ :58 could be snow white but there's no indication that's not just concept art they threw in). The game title ([i/]Dragon Fin Soup[/i], wtf does that mean?), enemies, and world all seem to be completely original so cribbing Little Red just seems lazy to me.

Also, is the alcoholism just character flavor? Because from the article title and that "Drunken Master" claim I'm expecting it to be integrated into the game mechanics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Red_Riding_Hood

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon_Crawl_Stone_Soup

Oh and yea - completely fucking original. Not that mash is bad, but it's utterly stupid to think, that just because designers mashed up thousand details in one doesn't mean it's original.
Well I didn't know about Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, so excuse me. Don't know why you linked to the Little Red Riding Hood article though, my whole question revolved around the inclusion of that character.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
1) "Empowers women" in the title.
2) Never mentioned in the rest of the article about HOW it actually does that.
3) If the character was male then I doubt this article would even exist.

Escapist please stop. I know click-baiting is the cool thing to do in journalism these days, but I have stopped visiting too many sites which do this. Please don't join the parade : /

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Wait...this totally reminds me of (character design wise) Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ.

Huh...maybe I'll check it out, just for that.