Dragon Quest VIII Screens Show Off New 3DS Version

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Dragon Quest VIII Screens Show Off New 3DS Version

Square Enix has released a new gallery of screenshots from its 3DS port of Dragon Quest VIII.

Earlier this month, Square Enix made JRPG fans everywhere happy as heck with the announcement that it would be bringing a port of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140777-Dragon-Quest-VIII-Port-Announced-for-3DS>Dragon Quest VIII to the 3DS. Now the publisher has released a collection of new screenshots aimed at showing off how well this new version of the PS2 classic will visually transition from the living room screen to the 3DS's miniature ones.

The (not half bad) images in the gallery range from overworld screens, to battle shots and dialogue sequences. They also included looks at the previously unplayable characters Garda and Morrie who, in the 3DS edition, will be added to the player's roster of combat characters. As previously reported, their addition will just be the tip of an iceberg of fresh content including new story scenarios focused on the protagonist and the jester Dhoulmagus, StreetPass functionality and a new version of the musical score recorded by the Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra.

The only downer is that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/square%20enix?os=square+enix>Square Enix still hasn't confirmed whether or not the game will be releasing anywhere outside of Japan. Some would likely say that the chances are of that happening are dubious. The company, after all, previously chose <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137211-Square-Enix-May-Not-Release-Dragon-Quest-VII-3DS-in-North-American-Because-of-Localization-Costs>not to translate the 3DS remake of Dragon Quest VII, claiming that the resources required to do so weren't "justifiable" given the poor performance of the franchise in the West. That being the case, there might arguably still be hope for VIII. With VII, the primary problem was that Square Enix didn't want to pony up the dough for an English translation. Dragon Quest VIII already has one from its original PS2 days. The company, in turn, would only need to translate the text pertaining to the new content it's adding in. Come on Square Enix, throw us a bone here.
[gallery=4189]
Source: Siliconera

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Two new characters, increasing the roster by 50%, and they make it handheld exclusive. All the news about new content in this remake just makes me sadder.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
The West cannot handle Jessica's jumblies in 3D. Some of us would like to try though. I'm interested in the new characters, since I never really liked Angelo, and Yangus was fine as a character but rather less than useful in battle aside from a few moves primarily used on metal slimes.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
KoudelkaMorgan said:
The West cannot handle Jessica's jumblies in 3D.
Damn if we won't find some way to try! Even if it takes us another petition to bring JRPGs to the West, we will find a way!

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
That being the case, there might arguably still be hope for VIII. With VII, the primary problem was that Square Enix didn't want to pony up the dough for an English translation. Dragon Quest VIII already has one from its original PS2 days.
VII also has a translation already, from the PS1 version. I dunno how good it is, because it never came out in the UK but Final Fantasy VII has a dire translation that they never really bothered fixing so I doubt they care.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
My question is is it on the "new" 3DS or can I play it on my current one?
And lo, Nintendo's naming schemes have confused we the customers yet again.

I'm curious, too. I've wanted to play this one for a while, and I love having JRPGs on my handheld consoles.

AxelxGabriel

Nov 13, 2009
Well I hope you guys enjoy the screenshots cause none of us will EVER see it over here in the west as an official release.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
Dear SquEnix,

The mojority of us that like this stuff don't care about big-budget English ADR. Given the choice, we'll go for the original audio anyway. Subtitile that ish and ship it out. I know it's more complicated than that - there are taxes on exports, there are production costs, licensing and distribution costs, etc. But it isn't the back breaker it's made out to be. You could even go digital distribution and eleminate the majority of distribution / export cost right there. If you're maried to physical retail, do a special edition - Atlus style. See, Atlus knows what's up.

Sincerely,

A fan that loves you for Bravely Default but hates you for this kind of stuff.