Dragonball FighterZ - arc system works are making a dbz fighter for non-handheld consoles/pc!

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Dreiko said:
Bumping for more gameplay footage to be noticed!
Maybe it's the fact that you have bang Shishigami as your avatar, but I get an ever so slight, sneaking suspicion that you're hyped for the game.

Vassassell

May 4, 2017
Once again, i literally cannot see what is going on. Come on, guys, you cn do better than two goddamn poses for every attack.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
We have control scheme confirmation!

Light Attack
Medium Attack
Heavy Attack
Special Attack (think of this as the drive button from blazblue, it does unique things based on the char, Goku's is his regular Ki blast apparently)
Z Assist

Light + Special = Charge (self explanatory, fills your super meter)

Medium + Heavy = Vanish (the teleport that acts like a classic RC where you cancel any action and appear behind your foe wherever they may be, uses super meter)

Light + Medium = Dragon Rush (the dust-like mechanic where you launch them in the air, chase up after them with a cool camera angle, then do an air combo)

Heavy + Special = Super Dash (Homing Dash from arcana heart, reportedly it can be used to avoid projectiles, not sure if it's projectile invuln or you just maneuver around them with it)

Light + Medium + Heavy + Special = Sparking Blast (your usual Arcsys burst, in this game it seems to be one per round instead of the regenerating bursts in GG, it also restores your blue life for a small period after use, and seems to also be usable to cancel attacks and extend combos as well as to escape from being comboed)

Additionally, the inputs required are similar to persona 4 arena with no DP inputs, just fireball inputs.

DarklordKyo said:
Dreiko said:
Bumping for more gameplay footage to be noticed!
Maybe it's the fact that you have bang Shishigami as your avatar, but I get an ever so slight, sneaking suspicion that you're hyped for the game.
Look at DarklordSherlock over here, being smart! :D

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Dreiko said:
Look at DarklordSherlock over here, being smart! :D
Why, thank you for recognizing my obviously-masterful powers of deduction. Sherlock Holmes, eat your heart out, lol :p

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
This looks like it'll be the best Dragonball Z game to ever be made. It looks exactly how I envisioned my favorite ideal gameplay.
Street Fighter controls would be nicest. The Marvel vs Capcom influences are also nice. Very short charge-ups versus those SFV minute long always the same, predictable damage mini-movies are cool once, and become significantly less cool with every time you have to wait for the thing to finish.

PurplePonyArcade

Apr 9, 2015
Once I can build enough endurance in my system to stomach something like Dragon Ball Z I think I will find an incredible fighting game. Even better since I did not learn of the PC release until today.

Amigastar

Any Color you like
Jul 19, 2007
This and Super Street Fighter V update gets me all excited to take out my fighting stick.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
MC1980 said:
is there going to be not shit tier SP content, or will they go cheap and shit like Capcom (that MvCI looks embaaaaaaaarrassing, and SFV sp was hot dogshit)

'cus so far it's all been FGC-bro bait, and that's turning me off incredibly already, giving the vibe that they're doubling down on vs and nothing else, always talking about that esports shit

who am I kidding
It might have a decent single player. Every other recent Arc Sys game has had a robust single player offering. If it does, it'll probably be in the style of Guilty Gear Xrd (smaller stories in the Arcade mode, and a massive film that makes up the main story mode).

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
MC1980 said:
is there going to be not shit tier SP content, or will they go cheap and shit like Capcom (that MvCI looks embaaaaaaaarrassing, and SFV sp was hot dogshit)

'cus so far it's all been FGC-bro bait, and that's turning me off incredibly already, giving the vibe that they're doubling down on vs and nothing else, always talking about that esports shit

who am I kidding
Anime fgc is closer to an anime fan gathering than a bro gathering :p. (people cosplay, we go to korean BBQ or Karaoke, there's actual women around, the works!)

But yeah, you can base that on their other properties. Blazblue Central Fiction came out with something like a 30+ hour storymode on top of arcade mode on top of other various single player modes and with great netcode.

PurplePonyArcade

Apr 9, 2015
MC1980 said:

who am I kidding
I cannot understand your grammar. Sorry.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Producer interview:

Quote to end all quotes:

"In this game, rather than merely using a level up system or a customization feature, users will have to use their mind, their skills, and their techniques to master the game."

All of my yes.

MC1980 said:
DarklordKyo said:
It might have a decent single player. Every other recent Arc Sys game has had a robust single player offering. If it does, it'll probably be in the style of Guilty Gear Xrd (smaller stories in the Arcade mode, and a massive film that makes up the main story mode).
Dreiko said:
Anime fgc is closer to an anime fan gathering than a bro gathering :p. (people cosplay, we go to korean BBQ or Karaoke, there's actual women around, the works!)

But yeah, you can base that on their other properties. Blazblue Central Fiction came out with something like a 30+ hour storymode on top of arcade mode on top of other various single player modes and with great netcode.
Yeah, I was in a mood when I wrote that, didn't want to seem as snide towards the game. I'm a bit familiar with some of the BB games, and have looked at GG videos. I was thinking of something with higher production values than those.

I enjoyed BB's content, especially when they added stylish mode in the 2nd(?) one, for what it was, but it really wasn't more than a cheapo VN with fights. GG looks like budget in engine anime/VN hybrid. And the extra game modes are always, I don't know, half-assed? Arcade mode is expected but 10 fights where only 4 matter and the rest is filler is really pushing it. Score Attack, Abyss mode and whatever else all seem a bit barebones. Like, they're stretching something way too far. Their existance is welcome, as it shows that they understand what a fighting game post the year 2000 should be like, unlike other companies, *cough*Capcom*cough*, but it's still kinda thin.

I'm just looking to see if they improved the overall production quality in their SP stuff, 'cus a BB style VN or even the GG cutscenes as they are come across kinda cheap. But, I guess Arc Sys is not that big of a company to do that. Hoped that they could elevate themselves in that department too, now that they're working on huge brand like DBZ. XV1&2, for all their mediocrity, are still the most effort put into the SP of a DB game.
Arcsys I believe is something like a 130 person team, and Xrd was made with only like 30 people, so expecting production values in those areas is kinda unreasonable :p. They make visual novel fighting game hybrids, that's their niche. Gameplay-wise and competition-wise, they're at the top, so as a fan of good games from a depth aspect, I can't complain. Also, as an anime fan, the voice actors they use are my sign of high production values, because they really are top notch anime VAs. You'd have to follow anime to appreciate that though, I guess.

And yeah, the other modes outside of netplay, storymode and the various tutorials are kinda throwaway, because people get these games to fight humans and improve. They do put in the modes for the few people who might prefer them and to have a bigger offering but these games primarily focus on making as best a pvp experience as they can manage. I must have played Xrd some 1500 hours already since 2014 and not once have I bothered with a mode that isn't story, training, tutorial or vs/online vs.

Oh and "cheapo vn" with some 30+ hours of entirely voiced content from top tier anime VAs is an oxymoron. It's about as un-cheapo as a VN can get!

PurplePonyArcade

Apr 9, 2015
MC1980 said:
DarklordKyo said:
Dreiko said:

Yeah, I was in a mood when I wrote that, didn't want to seem as snide towards the game. I'm a bit familiar with some of the BB games, and have looked at GG videos. I was thinking of something with higher production values than those.

I enjoyed BB's content, especially when they added stylish mode in the 2nd(?) one, for what it was, but it really wasn't more than a cheapo VN with fights. GG looks like budget in engine anime/VN hybrid. And the extra game modes are always, I don't know, half-assed? Arcade mode is expected but 10 fights where only 4 matter and the rest is filler is really pushing it. Score Attack, Abyss mode and whatever else all seem a bit barebones. Like, they're stretching something way too far. Their existance is welcome, as it shows that they understand what a fighting game post the year 2000 should be like, unlike other companies, *cough*Capcom*cough*, but it's still kinda thin.

I'm just looking to see if they improved the overall production quality in their SP stuff, 'cus a BB style VN or even the GG cutscenes as they are come across kinda cheap. But, I guess Arc Sys is not that big of a company to do that. Hoped that they could elevate themselves in that department too, now that they're working on huge brand like DBZ. XV1&2, for all their mediocrity, are still the most effort put into the SP of a DB game.

PurplePonyArcade said:
I cannot understand your grammar. Sorry.
No need to apologise for your personal problems with English.
Cheap? Well I do remember Accent Core's attempt at a "story mode" boring me to tears. I admit BB's are kind of very basic but that's sort of the thing I expect visual novel fans to enjoy and I suppose it might be too expensive to make every scene in BB an actual anime. Then again there was apparently enough money floating around to make that godawful anime series so who knows?

As I said before I could care less if Fighter Z has a story mode since I am not a fan of Dragon Ball Z but Arc System Works' flavor of fighting games, even then I am not saying it should not have one.