Dragon's Crown Review: Buxom Babes and Battleaxes

Nasrin

Leviathan
May 30, 2011
Dragon's Crown Review: Buxom Babes and Battleaxes

Ever seen a mermaid with a butt? You have now.

Read Full Article

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Wait, this only just came out?

Huh. What with the controversy and all, I kinda assumed it was out months ago.

Oh well. Moving on.

So, about them breasts...

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Here's a question:
How's the lag?

Odin Sphere, at least the NTSC-U released, had some damn near CRIPPLING lag during some of the fights.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
So the game that drew so much controversy over the character art turns out to be a fairly good game? Who'd woulda thunk?

I like the Pro/Con list at the end of the video. It's a good way to summarize.

"Cons: Questionable taste" had me grinning in memory of the forementioned controversy. :)

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I've been reading that this game has actually been selling out in Japan ever since it's release. While the the models for the characters are...interesting, I saw who the publisher was and then realized that it was to be expected.
All I can say is that Capcom's probably kicking themselves at the fact that they refused to publish this game. XD

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
It seems like it's a rather "meh" game overall. I'm not hating on it, but frankly the character models look stupid.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Hmmm... not sure I agree with using "Questionable taste" as a con. While I can see why the reviewer may not have appreciated the visual design of the game, and I find it rather offputting as well, that's just far too subjective a thing to be labelled as a ciriticism in a professional review. We're not talking about the game allowing you to kill children here, we're just talking about women (and men) drawn in extermely exaggerated fashion.

Either way, the actual gameplay looks and sounds pretty good. It doesn't sound like a day one purcahse to me but maybe somewhere down the line after a price drop or three.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, I certainly love a mindless brawler from time to time, if I had a PS3/Vita, I'd definitely pick this up. As for the art style (they're not "models", because they're not 3D models... -_-'), I definitely dig it, not that I'm a fan of massive cleavages or overly muscular fems, but I certainly like the over the top design overall, also, like any Vanillaware game, it simply looks freaking gorgeous.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
I think we can add this to the list of "overblown controversies" right alongside the tomb raider "OMG He caressed her leg WITHOUT PERMISSION!!" scandal and the ken levine box art fracaus.

That bitter nonsense aside I cant wait to play this Ive always loved vanillaware games.

edgecult

May 4, 2011
Tanis said:
Here's a question:
How's the lag?

Odin Sphere, at least the NTSC-U released, had some damn near CRIPPLING lag during some of the fights.
Curious about that myself. Hardest bit in the whole game for me was the back to back odette, queen of the dead boss fights... so much lag.. but even still game was bloody beautiful and loads of fun when you weren't choking out your ps2 processor to pump out all that pretty.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Well, the girls are intentionally modeled after the work of Frank Frazetta, where everyone is naked or nearly naked for no real reason. Conan the Barbarian and Fire and Ice are two major influences going into this game. I know some people will obviously be put off by the RIDICULOUS floating magic breasts of the sorceress or gratuitous butt of the Amazon or any of the other crazy monster girls, but the game is packed with homages to Disney, D&D Tower of Doom, Frank Frazetta, classical Renaissance artists, and Ray Harryhausen. There's a definite pulp fantasy feel about the game and while I won't argue that some people will find the game in "questionable taste", or they might call it "generic", but there's also a wealth of art history that this game is intentionally trying to invoke.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Pro/Con breakdown is a great addition to the review.

This game looks stunning, I'll definitely be picking it up.

King Kazma

Apr 25, 2013
Back when I was nay taller than a short sword there was a game called Golden Axe, and it was glorious. I'm sure this game is just as great in terms of play, and obviously much better to look at.

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
The fact that people were offended by this game at all pretty much guaranteed I was going to buy it at some point. I'm glad to see it actually looks fun though.

Devilot

May 1, 2013
I find it really funny, that only 2 reviews so far have given the game average scores. And both reviews state that part of the reason is how the game depicted women...

I dont really care, since the game is selling like hotcakes and VW is an incredibly talented developer, but I always thought of the escapist as an objective and serious game site...

loilane

Jul 10, 2013
Cool review. Is there, however, any multiplayer, local or online, in the game? Would like to get my friends for some local co-op button mashing.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
rbstewart7263 said:
I think we can add this to the list of "overblown controversies" right alongside the tomb raider "OMG He caressed her leg WITHOUT PERMISSION!!" scandal and the ken levine box art fracaus.

That bitter nonsense aside I cant wait to play this Ive always loved vanillaware games.
Actually, XSEED is now refusing to localize Senran Kagura due to fear of being attacked by Kotaku or the rest of the gaming media.

MooseHowl

Dec 20, 2008
erttheking said:
It seems like it's a rather "meh" game overall. I'm not hating on it, but frankly the character models look stupid.
Yeah. They really do look quite poor.

For me, it comes down to the perspective - seeing it in-game, it's just all over the place. Are the characters leaning into the background? Are they leaning into the foreground? Are their heads really small, or just further away for some reason? Why are the feet and heads so tiny simultaneously; are the characters being bent towards (or away from?) our viewpoint, like bows?

The answer to all those questions seems to be "Yes", often all on the same screen. My eye just can't follow the look without picking apart its inconsistencies.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Devilot said:
I find it really funny, that only 2 reviews so far have given the game average scores. And both reviews state that part of the reason is how the game depicted women...

I dont really care, since the game is selling like hotcakes and VW is an incredibly talented developer, but I always thought of the escapist as an objective and serious game site...
I don't really think that you can be objective when it comes to video games.