Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC Review - Ye Olde Monster Mash

Nick Monroe

Oct 8, 2015
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen PC Review - Ye Olde Monster Mash

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen brings its monster-killing madness to PC, and it's worth checking out.

Read Full Article

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
The Article said:
There are nine possible vocations (classes) in Dragon's Dogma for PC, as it includes the three introduced in the Dark Arisen expansion.
What? The nine vocations were in the base game. My friend played a mystic archer on launch. It added more skills to each class.

Really loving this PC port, Dragon's Dogma is severely underhyped. To me it's up there with Dark Souls 1 in terms of quality.

Dominic Crossman

Apr 15, 2013
Benpasko said:
The Article said:
There are nine possible vocations (classes) in Dragon's Dogma for PC, as it includes the three introduced in the Dark Arisen expansion.
What? The nine vocations were in the base game. My friend played a mystic archer on launch. It added more skills to each class.
Beat me to it, now to read the rest of the article.
Was a good a game shame the f2p sequel in Japan exclusive.

Chronologist

Feb 28, 2010
Benpasko said:
The Article said:

Really loving this PC port, Dragon's Dogma is severely underhyped. To me it's up there with Dark Souls 1 in terms of quality.
Absolutely true, all nine vocations were in the original game, and the game is definitely underhyped. The lackluster quests undermine a really excellent story about the nature of free will and some interesting meta-commentary on the nature of video game protagonists.

For any new players to the series I heavily recommend the following:
- Make a character in the Small weight class (50-69 kg).
- Start as a Fighter and work towards picking up the Sinew augment
- Finally, switch to Assassin and stick with it as much as possible

This build will give your character excellent mobility, carry capacity, damage output, and lets you use the widest variety of weapons in the game. It's excellent at taking down large enemies and the assassin's counter-moves make it great when you're outnumbered. It works well with a Mage pawn for healing and support magic, or you can go completely solo without suffering too much. The Assassin has augments (passive abilities) that make it exceptionally strong when fighting alone or at night, and while they were nerfed slightly in Dark Arisen they're still substantial enough to make a solo adventure quite doable. Basically, if you think the best defence is a good offence, this is the build to go with.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
To bad capcom is aparantly unable to make a coherent storyline. I mean Gregory the dragon was the most awesome antagonist i have seen in a while who actually seems like a legit threat... but all other characters barely get any light to shine.

Oh and one thing you forgot to mention in this review:

There is actually a lover system in this game!

You can give gifts to NPCs and raise their affection by talking to them. Once theres a pink sheen around their head it means they have fallen in love with you.

This can have hilarious consequences like the weapon and armor shop owner falling in love with you because of course he is the npc players will talk to the most naturally for buying and selling equipment. Oh and it doesnt matter what gender you are either.

Its a shame really that the different characters dont get more spotlight since they are actually interesting, like that maniac cultleader who worships the dragon and wants to destroy the main character since standing against the dragon (and thus destruction incarnate) is heresy to him... yet you only meet him like 3 times in the game. Same with the "mysterious" black knight... wich again you only meet like 3 times and 2 out of those 3 times you dont even really interact with him.

Where dragons dogma absolutely shines are its fighting system and the fights against huge monsters. Hanging onto a rampaging griffon for your life while trying to cripple its wings... awesome.

And the final fight against the dragon... hell yeah... skyrim could have learned one or two things about how to set up an epic fight against a dragon. Especialy since Gergori makes Anduin look like a baby.