Dragon's Dogma Expansion Debuts in April

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Dragon's Dogma Expansion Debuts in April

[video=6749]

Dark Arisen brings players underground for new enemies, equipment, and skills.

major expansion [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9658-Dragons-Dogma-Review]," will touch down in April and bring the standard assortment of new enemies to fight, items to equip, and skills to learn with it.

[gallery=1015]

The expansion takes place on Bitterback Isle, which invites players to take their adventure underground. There, they will encounter over 25 new enemies and find more than 100 pieces of new equipment. Each class will have access to a new tier of skills, and both players and their pawns will have additional augments to choose from. New players can start a game with the expansion content activated, while veterans can import their characters and receive a number of rewards for doing so, including Rift Crystals, Ferrystones, and a new set of armor.

In an age of piecemeal DLC packages, an old-school RPG expansion is welcome news, although it comes with a caveat. Dark Arisen will sell for $40, making it a considerably bigger investment than the usual modern add-on. Adventurers willing to open their wallets will find the game for both retail purchase and download on April 23 in North America and April 26 in Europe on both the PS3 and 360.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Heh I'd settle for a shock collar that goes off whenever they state the obvious or repeat the same piece of text within 3 hours.

OT: I'm actually liking the sound of a proper expansion and it sounds like they've put the effort into it, though I'm going to wait to hear more info about it before I decide whether to fork money over for it or not.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
I really need to check this game out, I never got around to it the first time.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
CO-OP OR DIE. It's the perfect game for co-op and they won't let us have it those damnable folks at capcom.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
Zagzag said:
I really need to check this game out, I never got around to it the first time.
It's an odd game that not everyone likes but I liked it. Especially after
You kill the dragon and the fucking biblical Apocalypse happens.

I hope we get a full sequel sometime, maybe on the next set of consoles. One with less talkative pawns and more large monsters. The large monsters are always fun to fight but fighting that same cyclops a dozen times starts to wear on you.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
I wonder if Assassin will still be incredibly broken still. What's the increase after all is said and done? about 400%?

I might buy it, I thought it was worth $60 at least.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
Man, $40? I mean, if "old school RPG expansion" is what they were going for, awesome, and good on them. To be honest, I'd rather pay a higher price for a great piece of content that will last a decent amount of time. Dragon's Dogma was one of my favorite games last year, so I'm looking forward to this, and if it's as good as I hope it is, will probably pick it up.

Did that higher difficulty ever make it into the States, by the way? Or was that still just a Japanese exclusive?

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
I've been a huge fan of this game, and was stoked about Dark Arisen. Was, until I saw that $40 price get mentioned. I'll shell out the money for it, if they refund my money for their shitty "Under a Different Sky" quests.

I'll probably still buy this expansion, but I'm severely disappointed.

And it'll beat the Borderlands 2 add-ons. God, I'll never stop getting suckered by that series, even when I know I'll regret it.

jollybarracuda said:
Did that higher difficulty ever make it into the States, by the way? Or was that still just a Japanese exclusive?
Yes we finally got the Hard and Speed Run modes, which I was enjoying until my Xbox bricked this morning.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
More Dragons Dogma? Oh god yes.
Though for $40 I will have to check out some reviews first.
I really hope it's worth the price tag and the wait.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
Definitely excited for this and am going to put-off finishing my current game so I can get the NG+ when this comes out (and put it on "hard more").

I find it interesting that they're including the original game on the disc (not mentioned here but I've read this info on various other sites). This doesn't scream "an old-school RPG expansion" to me, seeing as those would typically cost $30 and you'd get the extra content, not the extra plus the the original game. I'll still buy it, and keep my original copy, but it just feels off.

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
I have been holding off on Dogma for $$'s sake. When I played the demo I was sold right away - I will have this game eventually!

s0meNo0b

Feb 21, 2011
Hmm... this might make me get Dragon's Dogma back again. It was incredibly mediocre, but I had a lot of fun with it.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
$40 for DLC? I don't think so, Capcom. I'll be damned if I'm going to shell out two 20s to repurchase a game I already own just to get the new content.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I'm more intrigued by what exactly this "Dark Arisen" is supposed to be. If it's essentially a negative version of

Your own character, similar to after you finish a NG+

then I admit, my interest is piqued. That certainly tripped me out the first time it happened.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I was all set to get this until I saw it was $40. When I learn whether or not its a decent expansion and not the equivalent of adding a few new floors to the Everfall, a ton of probably useless equipment with 1% drop rates, a few new skills, and a smattering of re-skinned enemies I'll probably get it.

Its Capcom so you kind of need to assume the bare minimum, thanks to their continued efforts to disrepute their own brand over the past decade.

Also I'd need a new *working* TV, and gee *money* to properly enjoy it. So yeah...