Drakengard 3 Review - Sister Hacked

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Don't forget Jim, this game is part of a series where the first game has a child molester/pedophile and a crazy baby eater as characters. Protagonist characters at that. So I'm not surprised about this game having a messed up main character.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
... I sort of want to play this game now.

However I'm unsure about jumping into the 3rd installment. I probably won't miss much but I'm a stickler for continuity and would prefer to play the originals. Unfortunately they aren't on PSN and I don't have PS2 to run a copy on.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Alas, if only I had three one PS3. As someone who hasn't met a fictional sexually aggressive woman I haven't liked and a is general fan of crazy-ass Japanese shit, I could probably find in my heart some love for this game.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Sexually aggressive women can still totally be an objectifying sort of thing, it's just tying into male sexual disempowerment fantasies (sex slave dealios) instead of empowerment ones*. Like all things its fine in parts, it's just when its part of a hugely imbalanced pattern that it becomes less cool.

(There's a certain Doctor Who writer who makes awesome quirky, fairly sexually aggressive women who are totally cool until you notice that he only ever writes awesome quirky, fairly sexually aggressive women)

EDIT:* There's actually a really easy way to tell if something like this is written to titillate guys or for the sake of the character/women. Is the women hotter than the people she's having sex with? If it's a hot women making out with a bunch of losers/old men it's totally been written so that people can think 'wow she might force me to have sex with her!'. If she's having sex with a bunch of hot guys then it's much easier to see how that might be empowering for the character/titilating for some women.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
I got this game on release and I love it.

The chars are sex maniacs, The Dragon is a complete child, And Zero and her sisters are all batshit

Now if only i could get money quicker to get the final ending....

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
InsanityRequiem said:
Don't forget Jim, this game is part of a series where the first game has a child molester/pedophile and a crazy baby eater as characters. Protagonist characters at that. So I'm not surprised about this game having a messed up main character.
Dont forget his sister wanted to get down and funky with him :D

Or that the one ending is what leads to NieR

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
BrotherRool said:
Sexually aggressive women can still totally be an objectifying sort of thing, it's just tying into male sexual disempowerment fantasies (sex slave dealios) instead of empowerment ones*. Like all things its fine in parts, it's just when its part of a hugely imbalanced pattern that it becomes less cool.

(There's a certain Doctor Who writer who makes awesome quirky, fairly sexually aggressive women who are totally cool until you notice that he only ever writes awesome quirky, fairly sexually aggressive women)

EDIT:* There's actually a really easy way to tell if something like this is written to titillate guys or for the sake of the character/women. Is the women hotter than the people she's having sex with? If it's a hot women making out with a bunch of losers/old men it's totally been written so that people can think 'wow she might force me to have sex with her!'. If she's having sex with a bunch of hot guys then it's much easier to see how that might be empowering for the character/titilating for some women.
I get that, fair comment. However, the way it is played, I don't get a titillating vibe from it, per se. I LOVE dominant women but I was too busy enjoying the comedy and the characterization to feel like I was being played to from an erotic angle.

As for the question of whether she is hotter than the men - of the four men she takes, two of them are very anime cute, one of them is kinda western hunky, and only one is a weird looking old man. I would say it averages out squarely!

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I think I'll wait till it hits the 40USD mark.

I got the first game for about 5USD, the second game for about 20USD, and thought I underpaid for both games.

I think this game is looking as a solid 30-40USD buy.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Jimothy Sterling said:
I get that, fair comment. However, the way it is played, I don't get a titillating vibe from it, per se. I LOVE dominant women but I was too busy enjoying the comedy and the characterization to feel like I was being played to from an erotic angle.

As for the question of whether she is hotter than the men - of the four men she takes, two of them are very anime cute, one of them is kinda western hunky, and only one is a weird looking old man. I would say it averages out squarely!
Oh well that's really cool then, I'm going to keep an eye out for this game, it sounds insane =D

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
So it's insane...but is it bleak?

By the end of the first Drakengard I was wondering if I'd ever smile again....

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:
Drakengard 3 Review - Sister Hacked

Stupid, messy, and bizarrely hard to hate.

Read Full Article
Shit, that pretty much describes my experience with this game. The past Drakengard titles have actually had great stories set in a dark, grim fantasy world with moments that have really moved me. Drakengard 3 is just one joke after another. It's not even trying, and I hated it for that, but goddammit, I laughed a lot.

Combat is also pretty fun, even if the frame-rate slows to a crawl sometimes and if you summon the dragon to rain fire down from above you can pretty much forget about moving around because of how choppy everything gets, but then the way she kind of soft-locks onto enemies is extremely frustrating. It feels like Dynasty Warriors, but not quite.

Zero herself is pretty amazing though. She's so absurd and single-minded and unlike any female character I've seen in a game before that I was actually pretty endeared towards her. I want to hate this game for the mockery it's made of a series I hold fond memories of, but it's kind of hard to not like it. Kind of like Deadly Premonition - I have every reason to dislike that game but I don't. How does Access Games keep doing this?

anthony87 said:
So it's insane...but is it bleak?

By the end of the first Drakengard I was wondering if I'd ever smile again....
It's fairly upbeat, or as upbeat as a story about a goddess setting off to kill her sisters can be. I mean, it's pretty bleak when you consider what's happening, but the game doesn't take itself seriously at all. No where near as gritty as the previous installments.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Drakengard games tend to be pretty unique. There's a reason the series has such a strong fanbase, even though the gameplay tend to be less than stellar, and in the case of the first one, even downright clunky.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
I don't know about you perhaps deceiving yourself (and potentially others) about the gender politics on offer here. It's not against the law to enjoy something that's problematic, but IMO this game is one of the worst I've personally seen on this front. I got the impression the writer had some quite serious unresolved issues with women, showing up indirectly in this game.

I don't think it understands female sexuality or effectively separates the women's portrayals from a male perspective. Zero's relationship with her dragon arguably classifies her as an abusive mother (it did so with me at least). Five gets the most trigger-tastic death (sprinkled with tasteless jokes) as punishment for little more than existing as a false and obnoxious anime stereotype of a 'slutty' woman. Zero is then pretty much like New 52 Starfire, only it's rarely brought up or directly referred to by her, I presumed to distance her from Five; and I think Dito is basically Elliot Rodger portrayed as a winner who has no troubles with female attention.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Khanht Cope said:
I don't know about you deceiving yourself (and potentially others) about the gender politics on offer here. It's not against the law to enjoy something that's problematic, but IMO this games is one of the worst I've seen on this front. I got the impression the writer had some quite serious unresolved issues with women, showing up indirectly in this game.

I don't think it understands female sexuality or effectively separates the women's portrayals from a male perspective. Zero's relationship with her dragon arguably classifies her as an abusive mother (it did so with me at least). Five gets the most trigger-tastic death as punishment for little more than existing as a false and obnoxious stereotype of a 'slutty' woman. Zero is then pretty much like New 52 Starfire, only it's rarely brought up or directly referred to by her, I presumed to distance her from Five; and I think Dito is basically Elliot Rodger portrayed as a winner who has no troubles with female attention.
Zero does not represent women's sexuality. She doesn't represent anything but herself. Zero is batshit and singular.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Sheo_Dagana said:
Kind of like Deadly Premonition - I have every reason to dislike that game but I don't. How does Access Games keep doing this?
It's important to note that while Access Games is the developer, Drakengard 3 isn't necessarily the guys who made Deadly Premonition taking a stab at a Drakengard game. Drakengard 3 was made by almost the entire team that worked on Drakengard 1 and Nier, people who didn't have a "home" when Cavia was assimilated and closed down. They wanted to make another Drakengard game, and recognized that they weren't too talented with the PS2 hardware back then (and had a hell of a time with 360/PS3 with Nier) and needed help.

The hilarity here is that they went to Access to do it with them because Deadly Premoniton was apparently a sign that Access was skilled with fast-paced combat, action, and programming, and that Access contains some members who left Kojima's team at various points.

I get the impression that these guys are writers and visionaries, unable to work on a technical level with things like the UE3 engine or the PS3 hardware without help; It feels a lot like the work Suda 51 has done in that regard.

I think it's absolutely amazing that Square-Enix was willing at all to bankroll it at all (especially to release it in the west), so I can't fault them for not providing more resources and technical help to actually have it play better and maintain a more stable framerate. Either way, this team and the Drakengard/Nier name have a nice cult following in Japan, and they do well enough over there. I'm glad we get a chance to experience it, and at the end of the day it's probably for the best that it has a charming brokenness to it a la Deadly Premonition.

I loved Drakengard and Nier (didn't get to play Drakengard 2), and I can't wait for this to come in the mail.

Gambler_Justice

Nov 25, 2010
Yeah, this is roughly the same way I felt about the game. It's objectively horrible but goddamn if I didn't love it.

Despite the negativity some people have expressed towards the final boss and ending, it really was the perfect way to end the game: it pulls together this entire crazy, disjointed experience into something beautiful. I mean, I hated it, but at the same time, I loved how much I hated it.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Drakengard 3 actually got a review on the escapist? WHAT SORCERY IS THIS!?

Huh, guess all my whining about it finally paid off...

Anyway, glad to hear this game isn't another Drakengard 2 but ends up following more of the initial game. Now, all I gotta do is go and buy it.