Draugen Rises From the Depths: First-Person Norwegian Horror

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Draugen Rises From the Depths: First-Person Norwegian Horror

Draugen is quickly shaping up to be a terrifying cocktail of fear, freaks, and fjords.

There's something profoundly scary about the unknowable depths of the ocean. There's also something pretty scary about dead people trying to kill you. If you find either of those ideas disturbing, then congratulations: you're the target audience for Draugen, an upcoming horror title from Red Thread Games. The Scandinavian folklore-inspired game just got a suitably creepy teaser trailer, which is good; you may not have time to appreciate the beautiful scenery when you're playing the full game and running for your life.

Draugen takes place on the coast of Norway, sometime in the 1920s. Players take on the role of an American scientist exploring a remote fishing village where everyone has mysteriously disappeared - what's the worst that could happen? It's a nice enough town, aside from the woman in black who likes to move in the shadows, and the creepy little girl singing lullabies to nobody, and the drowned zombies that will inevitably show up in a game called Draugen.

"It's HP Lovecraft meets Dostoyevsky," says Red Thread boss Ragnar Tørnquist. "Or Gone Home meets Amnesia." Those are some big names to drop, and if Draugen lives up to even one or two of those comparisons... well, maybe wear your brown pants to play this one.

Draugen was made possible thanks to a grant from the Norwegian Film Institute [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129180-Norwegian-Film-Institute-Funds-New-Game-From-Dreamfall-Chapters-Dev] last year, and will visit Kickstarter for a final round of production before launching in 2015. The plan is to release for PC, Mac, Linux, and next-gen consoles, with support for VR options like the Oculus Rift.

Source: Eurogamer [https://redthreadgames.com/games/draugen/]

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
If anyone can pull off those bold claims, Tørnquist is the one I'd put my money on. He made the insanity that is the Longest Journey Duoverse work.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Well, I was reminded of Dear Esther for a bit...then I was profoundly glad that I had my volume turned down.

Still, I'm interested.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
That looks really damn good. Looking forward to hear more.

Also, is it just me, or would this game totally kick-ass with an atmospheric black metal soundtrack? It just seems to go with what they are doing perfectly. Norway, lovecraft, horror, darkness, evil, severed goat heads... Seems like a match made in heaven. :D

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
The word 'Draug' can mean the sinister deity that governs the Sea - sort of a maritime Devil, to whom all sunken ships with crew and cargo are said to belong.

It can also refer to the restless, malevolent spirit of a seafarer (usually a fisherman) who was lost at sea and therefore never got a Christian burial. Often, said soul still inhabits its waterlogged and maggot-infested body, which will shamble ashore for revenge (or just to be a dick.)

Wonder which one they're going for here?

Shadowsetzer

Jul 15, 2010
busterkeatonrules said:
The word 'Draug' can mean the sinister deity that governs the Sea - sort of a maritime Devil, to whom all sunken ships with crew and cargo are said to belong.

It can also refer to the restless, malevolent spirit of a seafarer (usually a fisherman) who was lost at sea and therefore never got a Christian burial. Often, said soul still inhabits its waterlogged and maggot-infested body, which will shamble ashore for revenge (or just to be a dick.)

Wonder which one they're going for here?
No reason it can't be both.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
OH MY GOD IT'S ROCHE FROM WITCHER

OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD

I mean uh. Yeah, it's a horror game...

With oceans and shit.

Um.

um.

(Oh my god it's Roche)

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Awww yeah, I'm looking forward to this.

The settlement also looks like the home village in Vikings, especially the seaway entrance.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Elf Defiler Korgan said:

The settlement also looks like the home village in Vikings, especially the seaway entrance.
Err where do think the vikings came from?

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
This looks interesting.

If it can live up to the bold claims I might just get it when it launches.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
albino boo said:
Elf Defiler Korgan said:

Err where do think the vikings came from?
All of Scandinavia looks like this?! It is like the viking age never ended.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Elf Defiler Korgan said:
The coast of Norway is pretty much all fjords. Not all of the fjords have fishing villages at the end of them but there are lots of remote places only accessible by sea. The villages themselves are still built out of timber but now tend to be of clapboard style construction. Stone and brick don't do well in Norway's climate, they get too much frost damage.

Sweden has lots of mountains and lakes but it coast doesn't have fjords in the same way as Norway. Denmarks is pretty flat and boggy.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
albino boo said:
Elf Defiler Korgan said:
The coast of Norway is pretty much all fjords. Not all of the fjords have fishing villages at the end of them but there are lots of remote places only accessible by sea. The villages themselves are still built out of timber but now tend to be of clapboard style construction. Stone and brick don't do well in Norway's climate, they get too much frost damage.

Sweden has lots of mountains and lakes but it coast doesn't have fjords in the same way as Norway. Denmarks is pretty flat and boggy.
Thanks for that information.