Dream of Mirror Online Unveils Same-Sex In-Game Marriage

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

Casual MMOG Dream of Mirror Online [http://domo.aeriagames.com/] has announced that it now offers same-sex marriages as part of its "dynamic in-game marriage system."

The Dream of Mirror Online marriage system puts players on a series of "fun yet challenging" quests, after which they may plan and ultimately take part in an online dream wedding that includes an ideal locale, wedding outfits and even rings. After the marriage is complete, players gain new and unique skills including the ability to summon their partner and to completely heal him or her during battle.

Dream of Mirror Online is a "social MMOG" that focuses on building relationships and offers unique benefits for players who do so. Some players also have special "fated ties" to one another based on the birthday selected for the character during the character creation process. The topic of same-sex in-game marriages has been "popular" since the game went online in fall 2007.

And now, the inevitable social commentary. Why is this a big deal anymore? Gamers, broadly speaking, have seen (and done) some pretty weird things within the context of their hobbies and compared to a lot of that, same-sex marriage is downright mundane. Debate continues in the real world (for some reason) but in the pure fantasy escapism of our games, why the hell would same-sex marriage be seen as any more remarkable than a Bosmer/Khajiit hookup?

Props to Dream of Mirror Online for giving gays the same chance to be trapped in cold, loveless marriages as the rest of us but I look forward to the day when this sort of thing isn't news, it's just normal.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Malygris said:
Props to Dream of Mirror Online for giving gays the same chance to be trapped in cold, loveless marriages as the rest of us...
Aww! Harsh!
And speak for yourself! I love being married to my wife!

But I do agree this is a rather moot point.
Probably just a stunt to get more users.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
It means nothing. There's nothing that guarantees a female character is played by an actual woman, or that a male character is played by a man for that matter. I guess that means same-sex marriages have been going on for quite a while now!

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
And Fiesta has been offering official gay marriage at the release of wedding items, and the staff were conducting marriages for gay couples even before the wedding items were released.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Milkman Dan said:
It means nothing. There's nothing that guarantees a female character is played by an actual woman, or that a male character is played by a man for that matter. I guess that means same-sex marriages have been going on for quite a while now!
This. But it is nice to have the option I guess, for couples that play MMO's.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Malygris said:

but I look forward to the day when this sort of thing isn't news, it's just normal.

yeah me too Malygris, me too

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Baby Tea said:
Malygris said:
Props to Dream of Mirror Online for giving gays the same chance to be trapped in cold, loveless marriages as the rest of us...
Aww! Harsh!
And speak for yourself! I love being married to my wife!

But I do agree this is a rather moot point.
Probably just a stunt to get more users.
Foolish fool, thats what you've been conditioned to think!

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
Props to them for doing this. Who knows, it may even make conventional headlines, and be lobbied by fanatical religious whackos.
But hey, maybe this is something that should be incorporated into every MMORPG. After all, plenty of people have formed relationships that way.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Oh God no! The Gay agender is playing out even now! Be careful, soon They'll be asking for bestiality opportunities. It's straight down to Hell for the lot of these Satanic developers!

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
So... if a game has same-sex marriages, are we assuming that it's advocating it? Why then doesn't anyone say that PvP combat advocates murder of your fellow man?

9of9

Feb 14, 2008
Malygris said:
Props to Dream of Mirror Online for giving gays the same chance to be trapped in cold, loveless marriages as the rest of us but I look forward to the day when this sort of thing isn't news, it's just normal.
Well, if this isn't news... why are you posting it as news? :D

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Labyrinth said:
Oh God no! The Gay agender is playing out even now! Be careful, soon They'll be asking for bestiality opportunities. It's straight down to Hell for the lot of these Satanic developers!
Fuck with one bean,
you get the whole burrito.

I mean if you get on that Horse, you gotta ride it.

(hot damn, ever since I subscribed to the "George Bush" school of thought, my life's become so much easier!)

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Aries_Split said:
Fuck with one bean,
you get the whole burrito.

I mean if you get on that Horse, you gotta ride it.

(hot damn, ever since I subscribed to the "George Bush" school of thought, my life's become so much easier!)
What's that? "If it's oil, steal it. If it's people who agree with me, sell them oil. If it's people who don't agree with me, dick move!"

Ronwue

Oct 22, 2008
/read... /chuckle... /attempt at giving a damn... /failing miserably

Seriously though... way to go I suppose... We are going towards an age when we will stop and ask ourselves... what exactly makes a game. Till then, this sort of thing is news I suppose.

J.E.T.

Mar 9, 2009
I skipped Fable 1 and 2 for the qweer shi-, [not that I give a crap about this stuff but I dont like the idea of a virtual me getting butt-f***ed thank you], if you wanna be gay leave it out of the virtual world and screw yourself already. And if its for a man having a male character and a woman having a dude character getting in-game married then just make another character already. I hate it when people start taking real life crap and throwing it into games.