Drink Driving Commercial

SilentFlames26

Sep 9, 2011
So we have recently had a campaign from the government in New Zealand to lower the rates of 18-21 year old DUI cases, this is the advertisement they came up with:

Personally I think the ad is really funny and it uses that to get the message across, but what do you Escapists think? Does the humour outweigh the message?

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
Yeah, I think it worked quite well and didn't blow it out of proportion, which is exactly the right way to do it. Not "If you drink drive you will crash and DIE HORRIBLY, look at this man's ribs implode and spear his heart!!!", like some British adverts I've seen. Humour always works better than the grim sledgehammer used by the Think! adverts here in the UK.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I think it's good as well. It keeps things a bit lighter so as not to blow things out of proportion, but still offers a reasonable way to approach the situation. Too many drunk driving ads try too hard to scar the kids for life by showing them horrible, disgusting images of dead bodies and mourning families without offering them any ways to actually confront someone in that situation.

FilipJPhry

Jul 5, 2011
You seem to ave trouble embedding
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.202272-The-Escapist-Community-and-Forums-Codex-Index-Guides
Look at the guide to posting commands. It should teach you everything about embedding videos and pics.

OT the ghost part was pretty funny, and the part where he basically made this pose

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
Ill be honest I could barely understand this! But after watching it about 3 times I got through the accents and finally understood. When that happened I laughed. I loved the Haunting part. Really good and seems like a good way to combat Drunk Driving. Horray Humor!

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Well, I must say it was a nice change from our drink-driving commercials...

... But I didn't understand half of what they said in it. Now I feel compelled to learn to decipher the New Zealand accent!

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Haha I love the little reference they threw in there! Not sure how effective it will be though. At least they avoided using scare tactics.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
What? ya call that a drunk driving commercial?

THESE are drunk driving commercials:

They work by not making you want to drive... ...ever again.

edit: Got some of the more brutal ones. I'm so sorry.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I really like it, Think! adverts in the UK are more fear tactics than anything. Although judging by the state of some of our drivers that's what we need. I nearly dropped my phone the other day when some taxi tried to take me out.

J-dog42

Aug 1, 2010
SilentFlames26 said:
Personally I think the ad is really funny and it uses that to get the message across, but what do you Escapists think? Does the humour outweigh the message?
Let's just say that it's a hundred times better than staying in mantrol. Or a collision between a truck and a giant cheeseburger if you've seen that one.

SilentFlames26

Sep 9, 2011
FilipJPhry said:
You seem to ave trouble embedding
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.202272-The-Escapist-Community-and-Forums-Codex-Index-Guides
Look at the guide to posting commands. It should teach you everything about embedding videos and pics.

OT the ghost part was pretty funny, and the part where he basically made this pose
Thanks for that, I really couldnt get embedding to work :)

SilentFlames26

Sep 9, 2011
trollnystan said:
... But I didn't understand half of what they said in it. Now I feel compelled to learn to decipher the New Zealand accent!
Mr. Google said:
Ill be honest I could barely understand this! But after watching it about 3 times I got through the accents and finally understood. When that happened I laughed. I loved the Haunting part. Really good and seems like a good way to combat Drunk Driving. Horray Humor!
Is the New Zealand accent really that thick? We'll make sure to work on it.

Hero in a half shell said:

The government tried some pretty horrible ones, not quite on the level of yours, but still pretty bad, but they were never taken seriously, nothing over here ever is, so they took a lighter approach so that they couldn't make jokes about it.

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
Hero in a half shell said:

...wow

Like you said, I don't think I want to even get IN my van now.

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
SilentFlames26 said:
trollnystan said:
Mr. Google said:
Is the New Zealand accent really that thick? We'll make sure to work on it.
Well to be fair Im and American and I dont think Ive EVER had to deal with a New Zealand accent before. But I still feel it was really thick. If it wont be shown in the US though then I doubt it matters much.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
trollnystan said:

At least the message in the NZ video was understandable, whereas in that bizarre Swede one I didn't understand the point they were trying to make at all.

OP: I thought that was brilliant! I fully agree with the user who said that the UK Think! adverts are a waste of space; they just try to terrify people into not drink driving, but since the people they're trying to terrify are waste-of-space chav scum, that's not going to work at all. Yet more UK government strategies thought up by upper class toffs who've never met 99% of the populace. We don't really have democracy in the UK, rather we vote for which aristocrat we detest least, and it shows in all our ineffective government propaganda.

On a side note, why was the video aimed solely at Maori?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
That is hilariously bad :D
Then again all of these are, the best one I've seen sofar is one where all the hotties fall for the responsible guy, on teenagers that could actually work quite well...

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Those were pretty cool. You can't really keep telling people they'll die in a crash, people turn off after a while. Similarly:

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
BGH122 said:
trollnystan said:

At least the message in the NZ video was understandable, whereas in that bizarre Swede one I didn't understand the point they were trying to make at all.

SNIPPED REST
Well, it was a bit of a play on the Swedish word "fyllehund" (Eng. translation: boozer (person)), that's why everyone has dogfaces. The text at the end says, "Boozers can ruin lives. Even the day after."