DRM Be Damned, Spore Is A Hit

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
DRM Be Damned, Spore Is A Hit

This is why Spore [http://www.ea.com] is a big hit.

In spite of the Sporepedia [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86246], the online component of the game that hosts the various creatures created and uploaded by users, currently contains roughly 26.5 million of the home-built beasties.

"Spore is a hit," said Frank Gibeau, president of EA Games. "We're off to a great start moving into the holiday season and believe Spore will deliver a platform of creativity for gamers of all stripes for years to come."

"We're humbled by how quickly the community has taken to the creativity tools in Spore," added Executive Producer Lucy Bradshaw. "It's amazing to see the sheer imagination represented in the hundreds of thousands of creatures, vehicles and buildings that have been uploaded around the clock since launch."

That Spore is a big sales hit isn't terribly surprising but it is some welcome good news for EA, which has faced both lower-than-expected review scores as well as withering fire from consumers over the game's DRM. At release, Spore could only be installed on three computers (although that number was recently increased to five [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86392]) and even more frustrating for many gamers, each copy was good for only one online account, while support for multiple users on that account was non-existent. EA's response to those complaints was to suggest that the system worked fine for the vast majority of gamers, and that those who had a problem with it simply failed to comprehend the problems created by piracy.

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
The figure is though a bit "faked". Counting in all the new-buys due to DRM running out... that's hardly a fair number to base yourself upon. I would definitely not call this game a hit by any measure.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Yes, it's a good game I'm sure. But I'm gonna play it on my backup hard drive and not my main computer.

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
I fully agree with this. I didnt even KNOW what DRM was until like, 3 days after my first go of Spore. It's awesome =P

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
Odjin post=7.72435.760524 said:
The figure is though a bit "faked". Counting in all the new-buys due to DRM running out... that's hardly a fair number to base yourself upon. I would definitely not call this game a hit by any measure.
I highly doubt enough people have had to reinstall enough times to run out of DRM allowances, and thus having to buy new copies, for it to really skew the numbers.

Plus, if people are running out of installs and go out and buy it again, and again, then clearly it is a hit in spite of the DRM.

Dec 1, 2007
Oh goody. More evidence sufficient hype is all a company needs.

GOOD WORK EVERYONE.

Zeez.

*angrily installs Vampire the Masquerade for his 7th playthrough*

Wyatt

Feb 14, 2008
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6198136.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;5

gamespot also had news that SPORE is being sued over the DRM.

and since its almost the exact same thing SONY BMG used a few years back on its music CD, and SONY 'lost' its case and settled with the FTC

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2007/01/sony.shtm

it will make for some very interesting results if they do in fact loose a court case and end up having to pay not only for the purchase price but damages as well. SPORE could very well sell alot and still end up costing EA far far more than any pirate ever could.

the one thing though that really pisses me off is that i have looked forward to SPORE for years. its very much the kind of game id enjoy. but this DRM really is a sticking point for me. i dont want to rent a game number 1. i want to buy the game and then I <---- I will choose if i want to continue a relationship with the maker or not. i wont have that choice forced on me for something as trivial as a game.

ive never in my life really been a sheep and just blindly follow along with what other people are saying. im far to old to not judge for myself the reason i say this is that ive never held any opinion about EA 'sucking' before. ive seen that repeated more than afew times over the years but my opinion has allways been try their product you might just like it. in any event ive never NOT bought a game based on a given company that made it. i dont discount new games simply because they are EA or Bioware or who ever. i judge the game itself and not the company responcable for it.

in this case i dont even get that far. BECAUSE of the DRM i wont be trying the game at all unless the DRM is removed. its really too bad too. im sure id like the game but i wont get the chance to find out one way or another because of EA and this bone headed manuver.

anyhow i wont say that EA sucks because of its games but i WILL say that EA sucks because of this DRM. and as long as they hold the opinion that they have the right to rent me a game then highjack my computer to make sure that i have to do what they want with MY purchase i will be calling EA 'evil' along with all the rest from now on. not because im a sheep who just likes to ***** about something. but for good and proper reason. they brought it on themselves in spades this time.

anyhow i wont 'debate' this point with anyone. its in the proper place now (the courts) to settle this issue, and ill be very interested to see how this plays out. and let me be clear that im not one that supports the lets sue everyone over anything concept either but sometimes you really DO need something like this. not so much to punish EA but more to establish what the consumers actualy have a right to expect for their cash. even still im not so much anti-EA as i am pro-consumer in this case. i think EA crossed a 'line' this time, and i hope that the courts will say so. im not really looking to punish them as much as im looking for the courts to say its wrong and force them to undo it and stop any OTHER companys from follow their example in the future. otherwise us gamers are in for a bad time.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Imitation Saccharin post=7.72435.760598 said:
Oh goody. More evidence sufficient hype is all a company needs.

GOOD WORK EVERYONE.

Zeez.

*angrily installs Vampire the Masquerade for his 7th playthrough*
Your name adds a sweet and palpable layer of irony to this comment. ;)

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
"EA's response to those complaints was to suggest that the system worked fine for the vast majority of gamers, and that those who had a problem with it simply failed to comprehend the problems created by piracy."

I can't believe they can say that with a straight face. There's not a lot of complaining (or, not as much) right now, but later on when peoples computers screw up, or someone gives the game to their sister...people are gonna get mad when they see "BUY THE GAME AGAIN TO PLAY!"

LivemeLifefree

Mar 27, 2008
Odjin post=7.72435.760524 said:
All you have to do is call EA and they restore the ammount of installs.

TheDorque

Sep 26, 2008
Rooster Cogburn post=7.72435.760749 said:
We're disappointed that consumers eat shit, not surprised.
Because every single person who bought Spore is "eat[ing] shit", amirite?

It couldn't be possible that different people hold different beliefs and tolerate different circumstances.

Oh, no.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
TheDorque post=7.72435.761686 said:
Because every single person who bought Spore is "eat[ing] shit", amirite?

It couldn't be possible that different people hold different beliefs and tolerate different circumstances.

Oh, no.
Nicely garnished shit?

Captin Planet

Aug 28, 2008
This game has been marketed to mums and dads just as much as it has been to the children. so its little surprise its a hit. I just wonder how mummy and daddy feel about SecuROM staying on there computer unless you format your hard drive? Another reason to not give them your money I say!

Murmur95

Sep 18, 2008
i really want to know how people can totally fall in love with this game, after 8 hours i was "done" with the game... after 12 i did everything you could and i was like "wow what else can i do" and the answer to that was...nothing.

As much as its open ended there isn't anything to do at the end...at least with the sims i can make a new house and change his shirt but its go here, make friends with him and terraform that.