DRM Kills Angry Birds

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
DRM Kills Angry Birds

If recent updates made your Apple apps unplayable, you can blame FairPlay DRM.

Over the last few days over 70 apps - including such fan favorites as Angry Birds - have been rendered unplayable, and now the problem has been linked to Apple's FairPlay DRM. Thanks to improperly managed implementation, the DRM fails to recognize the game after the update has been applied. It then crashes the app, and even uninstall/reinstall won't solve this problem.

Affected developers claim that the problem is being resolved, but that for the moment there is no certain cure. The problem is thought to have affected users in the UK and US who had updated at some point between July 3rd and July 5th. One developer, Readdle - makers of ScannerPro - said that the fault meant that after installation the application "doesn't pass DRM validation and terminates immediately." The problem only affects users who updated within that July time frame, so in theory the best solution is simply to wait for an unbroken copy before reinstalling.

Apple has since claimed that the problem has been fixed and wasn't as widespread as first thought, though the affected developers dispute this. Moreover there are some indications, as yet unverified, that even installing a clean copy after the 5th wasn't enough to solve the issue in all cases.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike DRM, without Apple giving its customers a reason to curse FairPlay. Timing is everything, and for something like this to happen over the 4th July - when America goes on a day-long holiday - is doubly unfortunate. There will have been thousands of people trying to download Angry Birds and many other popular apps on the 4th. For FairPlay, of all things, to stop playing fair during a national holiday is an Apple nightmare.

Source: Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jul/05/iphone-apps-app-store-corruption?intcmp=239]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
The picture used for this article fits perfectly.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Pardon my ignorace, but what was the point of this DRM in the first place? Isn't the App store and the multiple Apple locked OSs already a sort of DRM system? What would FairPlay accomplish?

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I see that DRM continues to penalize legitimate customers more than actual pirates.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Another own-goal by DRM in the anti-piracy debate, I see. Honestly, I'm starting to think they want people downloading their games.

Nobody is really expecting DRM that works at this point, but you'd think they could at least stop it from breaking peoples' legitimate copies. Why don't they just release dummy programs and call it DRM? At least a placebo doesn't actively make things worse...

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
TopazFusion said:
"FairPlay"
. . . and it's not fair, and you can't play it.
Alternatively, it's being Fair and stopping everyone from Playing. Letting nobody play is just as fair as letting everyone do it, after all. :p

Stripes

May 22, 2012
Thanks pirates! I never realised there was DRM on apps, now there is and its fucking us up because people wont even pay a dollar/59p for a game.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Seems like Apple, like so many others, is failing to see this as an indication that using DRM at all is a bad idea.

thomaskattus

Dec 15, 2011
Yea, my android port of Angry Birds never stopped working. *pets his Droid 3 in a disturbing fashion* My precioussssssssss.

galaxygamer

May 23, 2008
shiajun said:
Pardon my ignorace, but what was the point of this DRM in the first place? Isn't the App store and the multiple Apple locked OSs already a sort of DRM system? What would FairPlay accomplish?
I was thinking [em]the exact same thing[/em].

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Im sorry but if you spend your long awaited day long holiday downloading and playing fucking angry birds, i feel sad for you. Angry Birds is what you do when youre NOT on holiday!

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
hooksashands said:
Now imagine how pissed everyone will be when this starts happening to $60 games.
It already has. Bioshock for the PC never functioned right and the Assassin's Creed games regularly crash to desktop because of DRM.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
XMark said:
I see that DRM continues to penalize legitimate customers more than actual pirates.
Nicolaus99 said:
Ah, one more reason to envy pirates. Nothing like paying good $ to be treated like a thief anyway.
Succinctly, the problem with DRM in its entirety.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
thomaskattus said:
Yea, my android port of Angry Birds never stopped working. *pets his Droid 3 in a disturbing fashion* My precioussssssssss.
Except we now know that Rovio is in favor of putting DRM on their games. If they find a way to do it on Android, they probably will.