Drone Hunting License In the Works In Colorado Town

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Drone Hunting License In the Works In Colorado Town

Deer Trail, Colorado, is examining the possibilities of offering hunting licenses - and bounties - for drones that fly over the town.

The word "drone" these days conjures up all kinds of mental images of unmanned aircraft flying overhead, spying on behalf of the U.S. government on all the naughty things you do when you think nobody is looking. It's government intrusion of the most galling sort - cheap, simple and almost impossible to avoid unless you want to stay inside forever and line your windows with tinfoil - which is why some people are so passionately and vehemently against them.

People like the citizens of Deer Trail [http://www.deertrailcolorado.org/], Colorado, for instance, which is now considering a new law that would provide drone hunting licenses and a $100 bounty for anyone who can shoot one down. "We do not want drones in town," Phillip Steel, who drafted the law, told ABC 7 News. "They fly in town, they get shot down."

Steel admitted that he's never actually seen a drone flying over the town but described the law as "very symbolic. Basically, I do not believe in the idea of a surveillance society, and I believe we are heading that way." He also pointed out that the licenses, which would sell for $25 for a year, could be a big source of revenue for the town, stating that they'd "sell like hotcakes."

"Even if a tiny percentage of people get online [for a] drone license, that's cool. That's a lot of money to a small town like us," added town trustee David Boyd, who said he's "leaning towards yes" on the vote. "[We] could be known for it as well, which probably might be a mixed blessing, but what the heck?"

Town Clerk Kim Oldfield said there's also the possibility that the town could use the bounties to promote itself, perhaps with a festival of some sort, a position backed by mayor Frank Fields. "It's all novelty. Do a little drone fest, get people to come out, have fun."

Steel sees it differently, however. "To him, it's a novelty," he said. "To me, I'm serious."

Source: TheDenverChannel.com [http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/eastern-plains/town-of-deer-trail-considering-hunting-licenses-for-unmanned-aerial-vehicles-bounties-for-drones]

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Here in Mooresville, North Carolina I might have to talk to the mayor, I'd love a law like this. If one of them flies low enough it should be possible to down it.

Klonoa Prower

Jul 23, 2008
Yes... because the idea of people shooting guns into the air at model airplanes and bottle rockets in, at least, mildly populated areas is such a great idea. This is just as much of a scary idea as actually having spy drones...

Cookiegerard

Aug 27, 2009
Just a thought. You shoot down a drone flying over a town. Drones are made of metals, be light weight or not, so when you shoot it down, you have a rain of metal. In a town. A rain of metal lumps and/or shards in a town filled with people. Even if they are made of plastics, it is still a rain of large lumps and or/ pointy bits of said plastic.

Zaydin

Mar 2, 2009
Assuming they can even shoot down any drones, I hope they are willing to pay the government the millions of dollars in fines/compensation they'll be facing, because I hope the government charges the down for any drone that gets shot down. Fastest way to get the chuckleheads behind this driven out of town is to hand the town the bill.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Because there is no possibly way this could go horribly wrong at all, none.

Uhg, how long before somebody flies a scale model plane over the town, it gets shot down and kills somebody on impact?

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
As various states have learned recently over medical marijuana, just because something is no longer illegal in your local laws, doesn't make it legal, and the Feds are more than willing to step in.

Still, since nobody wanted to watch them anyway, they're probably going to have to start making their own "skeet" drones to fly nearby just for people to shoot at, if this thing really takes off.

Bill Nye the Zombie

Apr 27, 2012
I just looked these people up on Google maps, and they're like 45 minutes away from an Air Force base, and maybe an hour away from the freaking Air Force Academy. Not to mention there maybe 45 minutes away from Denver itself. This is not (pardon the pun) gonna fly with anybody in the state government, let alone in Washington.

And I'm sure the government would just LOVE it if someone shot down billions of dollars of government property because "It was flying overhead".

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Drones aside, shooting guns up in the air over a populated town/city is not a smart idea. And the government would surely fine the town for the loss of the drone. I don't like surveillance drones but this is the wrong way of getting rid of them.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
And some people have the nerve to believe that the Orwellian nightmare society is coming soon. It's already bloody here! Seriously, these people are just introducing more and more shite like this to see how we react. If there is no significant resistance on our behalf, they introduce MORE shite! I mean bloody hell, maybe, just MAAAAYBE the government does NOT have the interest of the people in mind. Maybe they are just venomous power hungry lunatics that wish to completely enslave us! They regard us as pieces of meat (expressed in their scientific popular belief) that they keep in coops like chicken, to feed of of our lives. And they have the nerve to declare humans as free! And we allow this. We just sit there passively, acting like low-consciousness level sodding lizards, eating each other up like cancer, cowering in fear, instead of becoming conscious of the obvious! Look at the way they used problem - reaction - solution techniques to introduce more and more control and insane laws. All this political correctness bullshit that seeks to make you unable to say anything because "you might offend someone". Well, I am offended by you saying I can not offend anyone! Seriously people, how much obvious must it become?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
And if this plan fails, they'll build a giant dome over the town to stop the drones from seeing inside. It'll be airtight to stop the government using their bio-gas missiles and completely opaque to stop them looking in. Nothing could possibly go wrong!

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
That's the most badass hunting license ever.

"I hunt deer!"

"I hunt geese!"

"I hunt unmanned surveillance drones!"

*all* "Ooooooh!"

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Klonoa Prower said:
Yes... because the idea of people shooting guns into the air at model airplanes and bottle rockets in, at least, mildly populated areas is such a great idea. This is just as much of a scary idea as actually having spy drones...
While people are injured from 'randomly falling bullets', and firing up in the air is illegal in many places. The chances of it occurring are astronomically small all things considered, a casual search puts it around the fatality rate of lightning. There's something to be said that 0 is still better than 1/500,000, especially for something controllable - can't really ban lightning, but it's a pretty insignificant. Even in a densely populated area, there's still a lot more open space than there are people.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Cookiegerard said:
Just a thought. You shoot down a drone flying over a town. Drones are made of metals, be light weight or not, so when you shoot it down, you have a rain of metal. In a town. A rain of metal lumps and/or shards in a town filled with people. Even if they are made of plastics, it is still a rain of large lumps and or/ pointy bits of said plastic.
Then I guess they'll just have carry guns big enough to obliterate the drones in mid air!

Unless they want to become the first community to legalize short range surface-to-air missiles...

...I'm liking this plan more and more.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
As an Englishman I have but one thing to say:

Lol America. You are so funny sometimes.

I mean we have some surveillance bullshit going on but actual spy drones? Really? That's like a thing now? Legitimately? A Land of the Free (lol jk) joke is waiting to be told...

First reaction is not to protest against them or anything like that, nope fuckin' destroy them with lasers! Best!

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Slycne said:
Klonoa Prower said:
While people are injured from 'randomly falling bullets', and firing up in the air is illegal in many places. The chances of it occurring are astronomically small all things considered, a casual search puts it around the fatality rate of lightning. There's something to be said that 0 is still better than 1/500,000, but it's a pretty insignificant. Even in a densely populated area, there's still a lot more area than there are people.
Also, keep in mind the kinds of guns people use:

If they're shooting at flying targets, then logically, they're going to use a shotgun. Falling shot, even buckshot, lacks the energy to do anything except bonk you on the head a little.

This is assuming The Man sticks to tiny little quad-rotor drones. If it's a predator drone, your going to need a flak cannon.