Dropping out of college again. What should I do?

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
After six years of misery and aimless meandering through major programs, I've decided to quit school and persue writing. This isn't a "don't quite college or you're fucked" thread though, so I'd like some advice as to what I should do next. What does one do after dropping out? Anyone out there been in a similar situation? What did you do? I've already taken a year off from school before, but how is life different when you don't plan on going back?

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
If you want to be a writer then write as much as possible, try and get stuff published even if it's just short story/ magazine stuff, have a portfolio of material for prospective employers, try writing for a website or newspaper for free to get your name out there.

You already have a job which is a good start, so I guess the next step is saving enough money to move out (if you haven't already) unless it's better you you to stay at home for a bit longer. Basically, keep working and follow your dream, good luck!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
6 years and you still haven't finished? Christ. That's a lot of time and money wasted.

Seriously, at this point you'd have to be pretty close to finishing the requirements for at least SOME major. Just pick one and finish, otherwise the last 6 years of your life will have been a pointless waste of time.

Seriously, your degree doesn't mean that much, 80% of people don't even work in the field they majored in.

Quit being lazy and just FINISH. You've had 6 years, you have no excuse for quitting.

Lokithrsourcerer

Nov 24, 2008
yeah if u are that far through you may as well finish.

If you're really adamant about quitting and want to write then write as much as possible and read as much as possible. Most important would be to learn/read about technical writing otherwise you'll end up ruining your own writing. also you might want to check out the "Screen Wipe" writers special
its season 5 episode 3

I imagine it will be on youtube or the other usual places.

letfireraindown

Jul 28, 2010
Hey, If you're looking for writing, Crenelate has a good point. It is a skill and must be practiced, but direction can help a lot. I'm fairly certain I haven't read anything like this on the escapist, but a lot of humor sites that take their content directly from writers will have workshops to try and raise and gain talent. Cracked is the one I've seen most often.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19574_are-you-secretly-great-writer-like-money-read-this..html

That is their most recent iteration, but if you search writer's workshop on the site you'll dig up some older articles. Usually twice a year or so I think. Mostly around the end of the semesters.

That's all I got for direction, I'm not exactly the creative type.

Escapist_V

Apr 8, 2009
I'm pretty much in the same position that you are right now, and this is what I think:

How far away from graduation are you? If it's only one or two courses I'd recommend finishing them of anyway. Becoming a career writer is kind of a gamble, so you want to make sure that your world doesn't fall apart if you don't succeed. But don't go around thinking that you won't succeed either. :)

Make sure you keep your job and your ability to support yourself by all means. Don't cut back on hours to make time for your writing unless it's started to generate some steady cash flow. Just because you've written a book doesn't mean it's going to get published tight away, even if it'd been published you won't be getting the royalties right away.

As for writing tips:

1. Always keep something around to write on in case inspiration strikes you. Many good ideas have been lost by people thinking "I'll remember to write that down later". I keep a notepad next to my bed if something pops into my head just before I go to sleep. Even if what you write down doesn't turn into anything good, you'll at least go through the process of evaluating it, gaining an understanding of how you can improve your ideas and pump out quality material in the future.

2. If you haven't already, study and follow the principles of rhetorics so you know how to make your texts reader friendly and attractive.

3. Get to know your field. Writing for a particular genre? Read lots of different books there. Try to figure out what's been done before, what needs to be done and what you can do better.

4. Look for projects. It's not writing books, but there are zines, blogs and other entities looking for short stories. You might not make any money of it but you'll have your work analyzed by people who've got some experience as well as getting some moderate exposure.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I'm actually in a similar situation. I'm currently in my second year of college and I'm feeling like I'm not really getting anywhere. Especially considering I have to go through four math classes in order to get through the math requirement for graduation requirements and I'm still in the first class. And I hate math.

So I'm thinking of dropping out and finding a job. There's a grocery store near my house and I have experience working as a courtesy clerk at a place I'm currently volunteering at.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
ravensheart18 said:
sir.rutthed said:
After six years of misery and aimless meandering through major programs, I've decided to quit school and persue writing. This isn't a "don't quite college or you're fucked" thread though, so I'd like some advice as to what I should do next. What does one do after dropping out? Anyone out there been in a similar situation? What did you do? I've already taken a year off from school before, but how is life different when you don't plan on going back?
How did you spend 6 years and college and NOT qualify for a degree in anything? Really? How many credits short are you in finishing a degree in anything? If you are close you might as well get the piece of paper.

Writing in particular is a hard industry to crack. Most people fail at it. I'm not saying don't try, but you better have a plan B ready so you don't starve.
I never knew what I wanted to do, so I changed degrees quite often. My first two years were in a private Baptist college where I studied religious classes mostly. I quit for a year due to sickness and money problems, then transfered to a public university to save money. Most of my credits didn't transfer though, so here I am. I'm about two years away from getting a degree in English, which from my research is utterly useless unless you want to teach which I don't.

Sparcrypt

Oct 17, 2007
Either stick it out and graduate or get a job, any job. Then work your arse off in said job so you can advance.

Enverex

Oct 6, 2010
Education counted for nothing with me. All the jobs I wanted to go for, even "foot in the door" jobs all wanted prior "experience" so it was a continual catch 22 situation.

Just find somewhere that will take you on which will count as experience in the ladder you want to climb and go from there, the experience and claims you can make from where you have worked will hold more weight than any qualification (in most instances anyway).

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
I dropped out of UC Merced 11 months ago, because of general apathy and my foolish notion that I could do no work and still succeed. So hopefully you can get some wisdom from my experiences. Oh and sorry in advance for the wall of text.

sir.rutthed said:
There are two ways you can write. You can either put out dumb books that you write in a week with catch titles like 101 ways to say "I love you." That have mind numbingly stupid content but can earn you some easy(I guess?) money. Or you can try to write about things that interest you and write respectable books. For this path however unless you are extremely lucky you will have to work a second job(usually menial labor) and write nonstop with a huge amount of effort. And even if you are on the top 20 books released for an entire month, you will still only make about 30,000 $ for what will likely be 5 months work at least(and that's if you're lucky.)

Look at 90% of all sci fi movies, they get stars like Keanu Reeves, Matt Damon, Harrison Ford and are all based off Philip K Dick Books. Holy shit Philip K Dick must be a big deal and have made a lot of money while he was still alive(and yes Blade Runner was released while he was alive.) Well no, he actually was only able to survive by purchasing and eating dog food. Yes. He did that.

My point is that you can live and you can be an author, you might even make a far amount of money. But you have to write because it's your passion in life not because it's just something to do. When I write and work on novels, It's because I literally do not get tired while I'm doing it. I am so interested in the material that I can work nonstop without getting exhausted or bored.

What you have to do, is you have to find out what you want to do in life. For me, I meandered my way through high-school with a low C average, working just enough to stay afloat where grades are concerned. I went to community college after that and did the same thing taking lots of random classes though mostly history ones, without putting much effort into them. I started pulling my grades up the past two years though so I have a B average now(though with lots of Fs dragging me down.) I was able to transfer then to a University which fell through because I fell into old habits.

I received the news that I was being kicked out on Christmas evening, last year, nice huh? After which I lived with my parents for about 6 months, mostly playing video games and analyzing my life. And I finally came to a solution. While at Saddleback Community college, I had taken an awesome class on peace studies, which inspired me to become a pacifist and introduced me to an organization called the Nonviolent Peace Force. The aforementioned NVPF is a privately funded NGO that goes around the world promoting peace, often by inserting themselves unarmed into war-zones in between civilians and the armed military militias that want to kill those civilians. Which sounds insane at first until you understand the psychology behind nonviolence. It's a hard organization to get into but the pay is quite good and it's far less dangerous than serving in the military.

Because its hard to get into I need to have skills that would be useful to them, so I thought about career paths that are helpful that I can get at a community college. Which is how I found myself in an EMT program, at the above community college. I will get certified for EMT work in a little under a months time, and at that point I will apply for jobs at ambulance companies and hospitals and hopefully get a position as a trauma or psych tech in a hospital. Will take classes for another year and a half or so, and then apply to either the paramedic, nursing program or possibly try to become a physicians assistant. I will then get a job in the field and apply every year to the NVPF until I can get in.

So as a conclusion more applicable to you:

1) You have to figure out what you want to do in life no matter how long it takes. I have a minor fear of needles and used to be so afraid of surgical practices what I had planned to simply cash in my chips if I ever needed major surgery, but I worked through it because I really want to help people however I can. So if its something you care about enough, you can work backwards. Try to think of what matters to you most in life and then develop your long term goals around achieving them. And don't be discouraged it they don't come to you right away, it took longer than most for me, but in the end I know that I will be happy with my choices, and that's what counts.

2) Check into how many credits you have of what, and if you can, get an general ed associates degree. It will help you get jobs and so forth.

3) Consider learning a trade at a trade school, it's usually quicker and can find a job easier. My family is huge on intellectualism, but we have veterinarians, mechanics and barbers in the family as well as computer scientists, marine biologists and PhD getting philosophers and engineers. My point is don't look down on certain career paths because you were hung up on the university 'ideal.'

4) This probably wont help you if you didn't put enough work in to get a degree(because they are going to require hard work from you.) But you can also consider the military, while it obviously wouldn't be my path, I have a few good friends who went that path and are enjoying it. Much like the trade school path you can get into it right away and start working on your longer term goals.

Hopefully this was post was helpful and not too cumbersome that you didn't read it. Good luck with life, man.