Dropping Out of Too Many Splatoon 2 Matches Could Get You Blocked from Playing Online

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Dropping Out of Too Many Splatoon 2 Matches Could Get You Blocked from Playing Online

It looks like Nintendo plans to keep an eye on folks who rage quit out of Splatoon 2 multiplayer matches.

If you're one of those people that can't seem to keep from rage quitting in the middle of a match, you might want to tone it down when you play Splatoon 2. It looks like Nintendo will be blocking habitual leavers from playing its upcoming shooter online.

During the Splatoon 2 beta last weekend, there was a message that popped up for players who left a game early for whatever reason, and of course it was posted on Twitter.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/hypwnotic/status/886273207837356032]

It sounds like an occasional disconnect won't be an issue, but if you're repeatedly leaving matches early, you might get blocked from playing online for a while. That's not terribly surprising, as early leavers tend to make games a lot less fun those that stick around.

Splatoon 2 is launching this Friday, July 21, on the Nintendo Switch.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Prooobably not a good idea to have this system in place during the testfire, you know the one that tests the systems ability to deal with many people trying to connect and likely will face issues? Just seems like a very big lack of foresight.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Blizzard, take notes.

Also, when does everyone think the people batching about it not being fair for them will come in?

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
RaikuFA said:
when does everyone think the people batching about it not being fair for them will come in?
I'm surprised they haven't already started if it's in open beta.

Samos205

Dec 14, 2011
Country
New Zealand
RaikuFA said:
Blizzard, take notes.

Also, when does everyone think the people batching about it not being fair for them will come in?
as soon as it launches

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Fair enough. Hopefully servers can distinguish between an accidental disconnection and a purposeful one.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
RaikuFA said:
Blizzard, take notes.

People already throw a hissy fit at Blizzard's punishment. I think there would be deaths from aneurysms if Blizzard ever did this.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Rednog said:
RaikuFA said:
Blizzard, take notes.

People already throw a hissy fit at Blizzard's punishment. I think there would be deaths from aneurysms if Blizzard ever did this.
Then they shouldn't be DCing in competetive.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
RaikuFA said:
Rednog said:
RaikuFA said:
Blizzard, take notes.

How about you let them do what they enjoy and not force them to things they don't enjoy? If they don't give a fuck anymore because they're frustated, they're just as useful as them leaving. Except leaving doesn't waste their time.

Assuming I would play games with already rather draconian rules, I would just go AFK for the rest of the match if I didn't want to play anymore and there would be any form of leaver penalty.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3557701/Texas-man-bit-smothered-two-year-old-daughter-fit-rage-interrupted-video-games-say-police.html

Damn kids interrupting my games don't the little shits realise I could get banned.

Disciplining kids

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Bindal said:
RaikuFA said:
Rednog said:
RaikuFA said:
Blizzard, take notes.

How about you let them do what they enjoy and not force them to things they don't enjoy? If they don't give a fuck anymore because they're frustated, they're just as useful as them leaving. Except leaving doesn't waste their time.

Assuming I would play games with already rather draconian rules, I would just go AFK for the rest of the match if I didn't want to play anymore and there would be any form of leaver penalty.
In society and communities (such as an online game community), we have these things called norms. One of the norms found in nearly all of these groups is that when one commits to doing something, they follow through on that; showing that you don't care for those affected by your actions as you continually break your agreements leads to consequences. Your actions have an effect on others; you have no right to be upset when your actions leads to others ostracizing you.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Bindal said:
RaikuFA said:
Rednog said:
RaikuFA said:
Blizzard, take notes.

Then you finish the match. I have not had one competitive Overwatch match where I had won. Why? Cause I kept getting some asshole who would disconnect putting my team at a huge disadvantage. It's not fun losing because you have a dipshit teammate.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
I don't like systems like this. If I'm having a bad time, and dont see that changing, I'm really not going to care about other people enjoying themselves. My fun is what's most important.

The only reason this crap is being treated as being important is because shooters latched onto moba trends and shrunk teams down to the point 1 bad player will determine who wins or loses. It's not about things even being fun anymore. It's always a comp mentality, even in non ranked shit.

I also don't play team stuff anymore, so be glad none of you have to put up with my abhorrent attitude.

Wiggum Esquilax

Apr 22, 2015
Chronic disconnecters shouldn't be permabanned. It's overkill, and it's unfair. Permanently lump them together instead.

I don't even play Splatoon, and I don't care why you DC'd. Kids, medical emergency, work, internet hiccup, Game of Thrones is on? It's all good; life happens. As long as it doesn't happen all the damn time.

Playng online is a commitment to the rest of your team. You shouldn't be able to constantly take off in the middle of a match, anymore than athletes can just take the fuck off the field/arena whenever they damn well please. Not without finding themselves suddenly unwelcome.

I'm not saying that this solution has to be all or nothing. There's a big difference between someone who disconnects 20% of the time, compared to 75% of the time. A few separate matchmaking brackets which account for disconnect frequency would be fair for everyone. Queue size permitting OFC, if there's not enough players to populate a match, then by all means lump the DCs together.

Do you disagree? Good. Sincerely, may you continue to enjoy your game among the like-minded. You are entirely welcome to do so.

Just don't mess up mine.