dropping the bomb on japan? yes or no?

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
heavymedicombo said:
I WASN'T COMPARING THEM YOU FUCKING IDIOT
Thats how you feel after someone disagrees with you, now imagine suffering four years of atrocities against a seemingly (emphisis on seemingly) ideologically homogenous foe. Imagine seeing and hearing those who trusted you die in situations that you could prevent. Imagine what you feel now dragged out day after day, because then you might begin to understand what those who fought through this actually went through.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Kenko said:
maddawg IAJI said:
The Japanese weren't gonna stop. We gave them a warning, they refused, we dropped the bomb. We let them look at what just happened, we asked them again and they did not listen. So we dropped another one.

You can't say we didn't give the Japanese ample warning to surrender and while I don't condone mass killings like in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I can see how it saved countless lives on both sides of the fighting.
Both sides? You make it sound like the Americans did something noble lol. Were they takin a shortcut to end the war faster,yes. While genocide is never the right thing to do, i'd say this is a morally dark grey zone tbh. Its right in one way but so horribly fucking wrong at the same time.
If the Americans had invaded Japan, a lot of people would have died. much more than the A-Bombs killed. Street to street fighting would have been Brutal. And if the Soviet invaded.. it would be even worse. Dropping the bomb saved more lives any way you look at it.

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
It was absolutely the right choice, from any standpoint.

If the bomb had not been used, many tens of thousands more soldiers on both sides would have been killed, far more innocents would have died in the various battles than died in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and the entire civilization of Japan would have been utterly ravaged by the war.

Gray Monk

Sep 25, 2010
America was like yo dawg wanna go bomb those japense niggers g dawg and they were like yeee dawg then they killed like tons of people and they were like dat was cool wanna drop another one and he was like yeeeee dawg and then it happened the end /sarcasm

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Hosker said:
I don't believe the killing of innocent people is ever justifiable.
This is the only correct answer that anyone could say. I don't even need to look through the rest of the thread.
What America did was wrong, but they did it anyway. It is in the past. Nothing can change that now. We just have to accept that bad choices are made by those in high places.

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
heavymedicombo said:
the clockmaker said:
heavymedicombo said:
I WASN'T COMPARING THEM YOU FUCKING IDIOT
Thats how you feel after someone disagrees with you, now imagine suffering four years of atrocities against a seemingly (emphisis on seemingly) ideologically homogenous foe. Imagine seeing and hearing those who trusted you die in situations that you could prevent. Imagine what you feel now dragged out day after day, because then you might begin to understand what those who fought through this actually went through.
No it's the fact that he got completely wrong what I was talking about.
then thats how you feel after someone misinterprets your (very) poorly worded statement, the point still stands.

KingTiger

Nov 6, 2009
Only scum and genocide lovers would endorse nuking a country...Killing women, children and the elderly all in one hit. Redneck cannibals!

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Swollen Goat said:
-All Hail Britannia Snip-

Yeah, why would you want to see another point of view? Do you think having conventional forces storm the mainland with bombing and artillery would have been any better? Really, is there any GOOD way to end a war?
Even you are getting it wrong...
Why even fight a war? It just causes more death... bombing civilians was wrong. Sending in forces to wage traditional warfare would also cause casualties.
Humans warring against each other is backwards. Yet we will need to be backwards to unite this backwater...

mythtech

Oct 16, 2010
lets look at some statistics...

iwo jima was on of the pacific islands taken by the americans in ww2
american forces. 105000.
japanese defenders. 22000.
american casualties 32000, 7000 dead.
japanese casualties 21000, most dead.

planned invasion force of japan. 1.25 million
population of japan millions (if someone could clarify this number they would be thanked, does'nt make the point less valid).
massive casualties would of resulted

casualties of hiroshima. 75000.
casualties of nagasaki. 25000.

based on the iwo jima averages these add to about the same amount as just the allied casualties let alone the japanese casualties. dropping the bombs was the lesser of the two evils.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Swollen Goat said:
-All Hail Lelouch Snip-

Oh, I totally agree that war is horrible and should be avoided at all costs. BUT the US did not start that war, and while terrible I truly believe that the civilian casualties incurred by the dropping of those bombs would pale in comparison to what conventional warfare would have wrought. I was just so dismayed to see you say 'I don't even need to see the other posts'. You've always struck me as such an open minded person here. I just think that there was no GOOD way to end the war, and this one (while terrible) probably did save more lives (yes, even civilian)than the other options.
*Sigh*
The reason I need to see no other posts, is because there is no good war, and if I read through, I'll just see loads of people going "Yeah!1!!1! Nuke those Japs!1!!!!1!" >.<
If I didn't have to see posts like that, I would happily read through it, but I have seen these threads before, and I know the sort of answers I will see.
If it makes you happy, I shall now go and read through all ten previous pages. But this is the sort of thread where you get an answer of one extreme or the other. It is hard to accept nicely when people say it is best to kill civilians. All deaths caused by war are a waste...

ChaoticLegion

Mar 19, 2009
maddawg IAJI said:
The Japanese weren't gonna stop. We gave them a warning, they refused, we dropped the bomb. We let them look at what just happened, we asked them again and they did not listen. So we dropped another one.

You can't say we didn't give the Japanese ample warning to surrender and while I don't condone mass killings like in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I can see how it saved countless lives on both sides of the fighting.
The major flaw with this is simple to identify... It is the Japanese Military who refused to stop fighting, so you dropped two bombs on two major cities, causing massive Civilian casualties rather than military.

Regardless of whether dropping the bombs was correct to do or not, the target of the bombs was certainly barbaric.