DSi-Only Titles Coming in the Fall

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
DSi-Only Titles Coming in the Fall

The first titles to rely on the DSi's upgrades may be coming soon.

Sources tell Kotaku that the first retail Nintendo DSi-only games will be available in the fall. The DSi not only added two cameras, an internal web browser, a music player, internal memory, and an SD card slot, but also upgraded the DS's internal components somewhat. Apparently we now have a general timeframe as to when we will be seeing the results of developers taking advantage of the system's new features.

DSi-specific titles will be packaged differently to make sure that shoppers know the difference. They are going to be sold in white cases (in opposition to the DS's current grey cases), which sounds similar to how Wii games are packaged. Cries of "Mommy this won't turn on!" are likely anyway.

Just what the upcoming DSi-only games will be able to to that is so special is anybody's guess, but a hint comes by way of the first announced DSi-only title for Japan. Monster Finder [http://mf.alphastation.jp/] is coming to the region this winter, and features the ability to use the DSi's camera to capture monsters that you will force into battle.

A monster capturing game? How novel! Even though the idea is played out, I can't say it still doesn't appeal to me in a deep, dark way that I'll never understand. I hope to see some really creative retail DSi-only games, especially now that we've seen what can be done through DSiWare [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94170-Hunt-Ghosts-in-Real-Life-With-Ghostwire-and-the-DSi].

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5349422/first-dsi+only-games-hit-stores-this-fall-with-distinct-look]

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
In all honesty it was only a matter of time.
My one fear is that the first-party games for the DS in production (the Pokemon remakes, Zelda: Spirit Tracks etc) will be changed over to the DSi, Twilight Princess style.
I won't buy one...yet. I don't get enough use out of my old DS for a start...

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
I can't help but feel that developers will see the new features as gimmicks and return to the old style DS.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Wow. This is a jerk move. Forcing people to move up to DSi just to play the new games is not cool.

Then again Nintendo has a history of doing this, so surprise surprise.

PartyMonkey

Jun 26, 2009
I use my DS for mainly playing Adavance games anyway...after the disappointment of there being no decent games for it. I will not buy a DSi even though I want one.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Too bad many people are NOT going to buy DSi just few few games and zero backwards compatibilty. Who cares about music player, cameras (piss-poor, might I add), internal memory, if those things (except for the camera, obviously) can be already used in the DS with R4.

Yeah, I know there is also more RAM and so on, but only the newer games will use it. The old ones won't change at all.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Sounds good, cause I'm going to buy a DSi as a gift for my 9 year old cousin this Christmas.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
Wow. This is a jerk move. Forcing people to move up to DSi just to play the new games is not cool.

A history you say?

Jun 6, 2009
The DS Lite was the only upgrade that the DS could ever need. When I heard that the DSi was coming out, I just said, who cares? Then I continued to play Metroid Hunters.

Rodger

Jan 27, 2009
And thus final confirmation that the DSi IS Nintendo's new handheld. Anyone who doesn't like it can always wait for the DSi Plus I suppose, the old DS/Lite will likely be phased out by then. I have a strong feeling that thats what the next version of the DSi will be called for some reason. And its biggest addition will be more internal memory.

Anyway, my biggest hope is that they take advantage of internal memory/SD card slots and give us EXTERNAL SAVE FILES. I don't care if they don't use ANY of the other features the DSi has to offer, expanded RAM and processor speed included, as long as we can save onto the DSi and/or SD cards. It'd be the greatest thing to happen to a Nintendo portable device since rechargeable batteries, in my opinion at least.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
Pendragon9 said:

A history you say?
Yeah, I mean what was wrong with the original DS? Nothing, that's what. Had a good library, did it's touch screen job, and people bought it up. But they just want to screw their fanbase ONCE again.

Next thing you know, they're just gonna stop selling DS's and make all games incompatible with it.

I was actually hoping to save up for a DS because I had alot of gameboy games and I wanted to also get my hands on the new Professor Layton series. But I ain't gonna bother if they're pulling this nonsense.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Pendragon9 said:

From a consumer perspective it is a dick move. Nintendo is not making any money with a consumer mentality. They gotta move the DSIs. To move them the devs have to support them. Making the older console obsolete only makes sense. Ithink Sony made a huge mistake by not doing this sooner. If games like Persona 3 hit the PS3 instead of the PS2 it would have inspired more people to move into the next gen than save thier money and keep the console they have.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
squid5580 said:
Pendragon9 said:

From a consumer perspective it is a dick move. Nintendo is not making any money with a consumer mentality. They gotta move the DSIs. To move them the devs have to support them. Making the older console obsolete only makes sense. Ithink Sony made a huge mistake by not doing this sooner. If games like Persona 3 hit the PS3 instead of the PS2 it would have inspired more people to move into the next gen than save thier money and keep the console they have.
Wouldn't people have complained though about them not supporting their previous console generation? I thought that was the general vibe.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. That's the new slogan in the gaming industry, isn't it?

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Pendragon9 said:

A history you say?
Yeah, I mean what was wrong with the original DS? Nothing, that's what. Had a good library, did it's touch screen job, and people bought it up. But they just want to screw their fanbase ONCE again.

Next thing you know, they're just gonna stop selling DS's and make all games incompatible with it.

I was actually hoping to save up for a DS because I had alot of gameboy games and I wanted to also get my hands on the new Professor Layton series. But I ain't gonna bother if they're pulling this nonsense.
I was actually expecting to get a detailed history of how Nintendo screw screwed their fanbase, but instead...well I didn't. Squidd's right, they need to move units, and it's hardly like they just said "every game from now on will be on the DSi, DS owners, you're screwed, G'nite!" They need to give people a reason as to why they should get a DSi, and DSi exclusive games only make sense, along with the shop and other features.

From a consumer perspective, obviously there is stuff there that you feel you should be getting, but aren't due to the upgrade, but this hardly seems to be business as usual for Nintendo in terms of "screwing their fanbase" as you put it.

In fact, considering this is a new IP, no one's being screwed. They didn't start it on one console and jump to another, they brought out content for those who shelled out the money for it.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Oh my, it's a very bad thing for Nintendo to promote one of their console. Bad Nintendo bad. You don't show love to the DS lite/phat anymore and now I won't support you. /sarcasm.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
squid5580 said:
Pendragon9 said:

Wouldn't people have complained though about them not supporting their previous console generation? I thought that was the general vibe.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. That's the new slogan in the gaming industry, isn't it?
Funny how every console before the PS2 had no BC, had no support when the next gen came out and people still flocked to the stores in the millions to buy them. 1 console does it then all of a sudden it becomes a feature that is needed for all. Does this not defeat the whole purpose of moving into the next gen?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I'm not going to get a DSi because that would mean I wouldn't have my precious backwards compatibility.

I'll stick to getting a normal DS, if anything.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
squid5580 said:
Pendragon9 said:

From a consumer perspective it is a dick move. Nintendo is not making any money with a consumer mentality. They gotta move the DSIs. To move them the devs have to support them. Making the older console obsolete only makes sense. I think Sony made a huge mistake by not doing this sooner. If games like Persona 3 hit the PS3 instead of the PS2 it would have inspired more people to move into the next gen than save their money and keep the console they have.
Gives us early PS3 owners the smug satisfaction of owning a system that still normally plays PS2/PS1 games. It's actually rather odd that any company can still make huge sums of money even after alienating their fan base.

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
Excellent! This gives further evidence to my theory that Okamiden will be a DSi exclusive! Woo!

This is good news people. Nintendo has upgraded the hardware, and developers are going to be taking advantage of it. Games are going to be bigger, and nicer to look at. Plus, we could finally find a decent game (other than that downloadable WarioWare game) to take advantage of those cameras.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
squid5580 said:
Pendragon9 said:
squid5580 said:
Pendragon9 said:

Funny how every console before the PS2 had no BC, had no support when the next gen came out and people still flocked to the stores in the millions to buy them. 1 console does it then all of a sudden it becomes a feature that is needed for all. Does this not defeat the whole purpose of moving into the next gen?
Hey, I wasn't the one that started the whole notion for it. I've just always heard that people hate it when the next gen doesn't support BC.

But meh. It's all confusing to me anyway. And since this is Nintendo, of course everyone will defend it. So it's to be expected.

I just hope I'm not right. If they do start screwing over DSi owners, much like they did Gamecube owners when the Wii came out (the whole delving into casual territory which has a thread for it already), then know I called it.