Dubstep in game soundtracks

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Jazoni89 said:
AC10 said:
To me, when they do it, it just seems like they're jumping on a bandwagon.
Dubstep has existed, as it currently does, since around the year 2000, and I can't think of a single game that has had any in it prior to 2011. That's about a 12 year span for people to put dubstep in their soundtracks. I think it's just odd that, now that dubstep is suddenly popular it's magically the sound every game studio claims "fits" their games.

Let's just say I'm doubtful a single studio is putting it in their soundtracks to achieve a certain sound, and more just because it's cool and popular and they just want to appeal to what's seen as hip.
It's a British genre that's been It's been "Americanized" so to say, and you know America has more of an influence in music nowadays than Britain anyway. That's why it's popular today, rather than back then.

Also, the sound is much different from it's East London/Bristol roots. Obviously it still retains some of the sound (otherwise it wouldn't be called Dubstep), but most of it's Garage influence was gone, instead replace with an aggressive Dub style that has nothing to do with the core Dubstep sound. Now, I'm all for evolution in music, but not a evolution that totally destroys the spirit of a genre.

This is Dubstep, notice how different it is from the mainstream stuff. It's like a whole different genre.

The orginal Dubstep sound thrives on atmosphere, rather than a metric ton of obnoxious bass drops. Which makes it sad that not much of this style is being made anymore.
Well, I'm fully aware of the roots of the genre, though I really never liked dub or UK garage. Lucky for me, as there is basically zero in terms of a scene here for that. As such, I guess I just don't know much about it so I shouldn't pretend to be an expert.

You're right though. It hasn't really existed in it's mainstream fashion, eat least exactly as a lot of the mainstream stuff is now, as it did in the past and it was wrong of me to claim that. Though we can see a lot of the evolution towards what people seem to be calling (unfortunately) "brostep" now with artists like DJ Hatcha. His stuff sounds worlds apart from what we have now, but the influences would be clear to a deaf man.

I guess it's a question of genre distinctions between dubstep, filthstep, etc. Electronic music seems to constantly struggle with that. For example, happy hardcore has evolved into something nearly unrecognizable from it's past (it's a sister genre to drum and bass) where it was, mainly, breakbeat. Even the 2000ish stuff with really bubblegummy sounds and chipmunk vocals (what is, to me, truly defining of the genre) have been basically given up in its modern incarnation.

Should we call modern dubstep, dubstep? Or is it far enough away in sound that it should be it's own genre at this point?

I know this is getting really far away from any semblance of topic, I just like talking about it :p

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
AC10 said:
Jazoni89 said:
AC10 said:
To me, when they do it, it just seems like they're jumping on a bandwagon.
Dubstep has existed, as it currently does, since around the year 2000, and I can't think of a single game that has had any in it prior to 2011. That's about a 12 year span for people to put dubstep in their soundtracks. I think it's just odd that, now that dubstep is suddenly popular it's magically the sound every game studio claims "fits" their games.

Let's just say I'm doubtful a single studio is putting it in their soundtracks to achieve a certain sound, and more just because it's cool and popular and they just want to appeal to what's seen as hip.
It's a British genre that's been It's been "Americanized" so to say, and you know America has more of an influence in music nowadays than Britain anyway. That's why it's popular today, rather than back then.

Also, the sound is much different from it's East London/Bristol roots. Obviously it still retains some of the sound (otherwise it wouldn't be called Dubstep), but most of it's Garage influence was gone, instead replace with an aggressive Dub style that has nothing to do with the core Dubstep sound. Now, I'm all for evolution in music, but not a evolution that totally destroys the spirit of a genre.

This is Dubstep, notice how different it is from the mainstream stuff. It's like a whole different genre.

The orginal Dubstep sound thrives on atmosphere, rather than a metric ton of obnoxious bass drops. Which makes it sad that not much of this style is being made anymore.
Well, I'm fully aware of the roots of the genre, though I really never liked dub or UK garage. Lucky for me, as there is basically zero in terms of a scene here for that. As such, I guess I just don't know much about it so I shouldn't pretend to be an expert.

You're right though. It hasn't really existed in it's mainstream fashion, eat least exactly as a lot of the mainstream stuff is now, as it did in the past and it was wrong of me to claim that. Though we can see a lot of the evolution towards what people seem to be calling (unfortunately) "brostep" now with artists like DJ Hatcha. His stuff sounds worlds apart from what we have now, but the influences would be clear to a deaf man.

I guess it's a question of genre distinctions between dubstep, filthstep, etc. Electronic music seems to constantly struggle with that. For example, happy hardcore has evolved into something nearly unrecognizable from it's past (it's a sister genre to drum and bass) where it was, mainly, breakbeat. Even the 2000ish stuff with really bubblegummy sounds and chipmunk vocals (what is, to me, truly defining of the genre) have been basically given up in its modern incarnation.

Should we call modern dubstep, dubstep? Or is it far enough away in sound that it should be it's own genre at this point?

I know this is getting really far away from any semblance of topic, I just like talking about it :p
I'm surprised, most of you American's don't know about it's roots, and just lump all Dubstep with Skrillex, so you have my upmost respect in this regard.

I agree with you, it's an interesting subject to discuss. Do we still consider what we call Dubstep now, actual Dubstep, or has it gone far enough to not be called that Anymore. That debate will probably go on till the end of time, but I know one things for sure, the original Dubsteppers are not happy with it one little bit.

Even Rusko, one of the orginal pioneers of Brostep.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
It might have been said already, but I think it depends on the style of game. Syndicate is a great example. I'm not normally a fan of the genre, but Syndicate is the type of game I almost expect to have something resembling dubstep, and I think the composer (who may have been Gerfberg) did a great job at integrating that into the score. It should be used sparingly, when the style of the game will fit it, not just because it's kewl.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
if it works, it works. doesnt mean i want to see it in every game.

just like heavy metal-ish rock music in the devil may cry series. i love it in those games, doesnt mean i want to see it everywhere (although FF 13-2 did a good job using it, look up the song limit break)

blaqknoise

Feb 27, 2010
It only took until the 3rd reply for someone to ***** about how they hate dubstep.

This is gonna turn into a bad thread.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I must admit that I don't really care for Dubstep but I do think it works for the Borderlands 2 and the Syndicate game. I prefer Trance over Dubstep unfortunately I don't know of any games that have any Trance songs in them.

Sep 14, 2009
blaqknoise said:
It only took until the 3rd reply for someone to ***** about how they hate dubstep.

This is gonna turn into a bad thread.
i do find it funny how dubstep is one of those you "hate it or love it" with a passion things, and the haters definitely love voicing that. (not saying there is anything wrong there, just an observation)

OT: there are definitely some games that could benefit from it, especially fast paced parts or very heart pounding ones, but i don't think it should be in all games.

syndicate/borderlands 2 are both great examples..besides my own mixes i turn on in the background, i can't think of any other ones off the top of my head already in games.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I'm not really hip to what's cool these days, but does this count as dubstep?
I think its use in the trailer is kind of laughable though.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:

[HEADING=1]ALL THE WUB WUBS![/HEADING]

I love me some awesome dubstep.
The song in that Borderlands 2 trailer:

Nero is awesome. His entire Welcome Reality cd golden.

OT: Whether or not it should be incorporated into games more solely depends on if it fits the scene or not.

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
I would take all the dubstep and replace it with didgeridoo, which sounds similar but is far more awesome.

Srkkl

Apr 1, 2009
Trailers fine. But in the actual game? No, never. Dubstep does not have the timeless qualities that orchestral scores have. Also with the relatively slow tempo with the trancy bullcrap added it just pisses me off to listen to. I also don't see it fitting in Future Soldier, not looking forward to that part at all now, oh well I'll deal.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
It can work with some games (especially sci-fi-ish games) like Syndicate, but it isnt something that I would want to see in games just for the sake of being there.

What I would like to see a bit more is use of licensed songs in games that arent about sports, Alan Wake seems to be the only game that uses it.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Do I think Dubstep should be in more game soundtracks?
no
no
no
no!

I'm not a fan, in fact it can cause headaches, nausea and in extreme cases violence on my part!

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
You do know every fucking trailer made in the last year featured dubstep right?
You are basically saying Justin Beiber hasn't got enough attention...

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I don't know, dubstep doesn't really mesh with Borderland 2s tone and style.

The absolute most memorable moment from the first game was the intro set to Cage The Elephant's - Ain't No Rest for the Wicked. The punky, bluesy rock felt really appropriate with the game's post-apocalyptic frontier look.

Of course, it's only a trailer and there is no saying whether the ingame soundtrack is going to be dubstep.