Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Review

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Review

While continuing a tradition of excellence, Duels 2013 still doesn?t feel new.

Read Full Article

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
If it makes you feel any better the supposed next 5 decks for the expansion/dlc are all supposed dual-colored, so that manual mana tapping will be really useful...........a bunch of months from now. :p

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I wish I could figure out why Planechase mode keeps crashing on the iPad.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Tiamattt said:
If it makes you feel any better the supposed next 5 decks for the expansion/dlc are all supposed dual-colored, so that manual mana tapping will be really useful...........a bunch of months from now. :p
That's something that pissed me off about the game. It really felt like there was a lot of content like more dual-colored decks that should have really been included to make the game feel less... well, cheap in my opinion that was cut to sell as DLC later. Perfect example of this? The fact you have to pay $1 to unlock the foil version of each deck (or $1 to unlock the full deck if you don't want to play 30 matches with a single deck). That was a problem with the other DotP games and it's a problem now.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Man whenever I see a new Magic game I always get my hopes up just a little only to be quickly disappointed. When I played Magic many many years ago, the most fun I had was opening up a brand new pack, seeing what you get, then mixing it in to the rest of my modest collection and planning out new decks based on what I had.

Would it be that hard to build a PC game that replicated this? Just a basic RPG where you start off with a legitimate random starter pack (meaning all 5 colours included), and you use in game currency to buy additional booster/starter packs. This is the game I've always played, where it seems like every game they make is for tournament players.

Oh well, maybe there will be hope for me in Mojang's Scrolls.

Theotherguy

Mar 15, 2011
RandV80 said:
Would it be that hard to build a PC game that replicated this? Just a basic RPG where you start off with a legitimate random starter pack (meaning all 5 colours included), and you use in game currency to buy additional booster/starter packs. This is the game I've always played, where it seems like every game they make is for tournament players.
There used to be a game like that many years ago, and it was awesome. Won't happen again tho, Wizards of the Coast are too greedy.

Play the card game dude if you want the old times back. I returned to magic after I finished my law studies, I don't have much time for it because of work/gf/the daily things one needs to take care of but it still brings me tons of joy.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Picked this up for 10 bucks last night on xbla, and it seems I made a good choice, as I fit the exact demographic of "new to magic" and "new to the Duels series". I've only played a bit so far but I really like the in-depth tutorial so far.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Just want tompoint out that unless you're playing planchase (or against more than one opponent) on the iPad,ma simple tap will do instead of dragging for attack.
I truly love my iPad version of it, and the controls are very intuitive for the most part. Unfortunately the few things that aren't (selecting damage against multiple blockers) suffers for it and I've lostba few games because of it. Still, since I love Magic but can't afford to play regulary IRL, evey yeary update is a must buy.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
I had a go of it the other day at my friends.

If you've not played one before, then go right ahead and get this, very simple and fun and a good intro to Magic.

If you got 2012, I'd say give it a miss. It honestly feels like there is less content then before.
Planechase is added, but I didn't see Archenemy anymore. Why?
The number of decks is smaller compared to 2012 after the DLC, and I don't really feel I should have to keep re-buying all the decks like its some kind of subscription.
(It wouldn't of been so bad if you could of kept the old decks from the last game.)

There just isn't enough content to make it feel like a new game to me, especially when compounded with the fact nearly all the previous content is scrapped.
Presentation is mostly the same, decks are a mix of Fun and Boring like last time, 1 new mode is added and the best mode from the last game is removed.
It's a bit cynical and lazy overall.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
vxicepickxv said:
I wish I could figure out why Planechase mode keeps crashing on the iPad.
Not sure why that's happening to you but it plays perfectly fine on my iPad. In fact it's actually smoother than on my 360! Don't ask me how that makes sense :/

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Can someone help me out here, I really like playing MTG but I'm removed from my MTG playing friends at the moment and I'm jonesing. Which game is better, 2012 or 2013? I realise that's probably a subjective question, but I'm interested in hearing what people think and why. Also, I hear complaints about only 10 decks in 13, how many did vanilla 12 have?

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I hate planechase mode vs. the computer it's like the arch-enemy we're you're the enemy and the three other players get the arch-deck. The AI for planechase is retarded and it takes forever they role the dice 30 times before it's your turn and you can't plan ANYTHING based on the deck in the middle. It becomes like 99% luck. I really hope an update brings back arch enemy it was fun to play online with people.

GeorgW said:
Can someone help me out here, I really like playing MTG but I'm removed from my MTG playing friends at the moment and I'm jonesing. Which game is better, 2012 or 2013? I realise that's probably a subjective question, but I'm interested in hearing what people think and why. Also, I hear complaints about only 10 decks in 13, how many did vanilla 12 have?
I'm pretty sure it also had 10 to start with but more of them were mixed.

I liked 2012 more the decks had a lot more difference to them, though I'll admit I don't think they were balanced as well (so tired of playing against people with that green-blue deck)

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
ace_of_something said:
I hate planechase mode vs. the computer it's like the arch-enemy we're you're the enemy and the three other players get the arch-deck. The AI for planechase is retarded and it takes forever they role the dice 30 times before it's your turn and you can't plan ANYTHING based on the deck in the middle. It becomes like 99% luck. I really hope an update brings back arch enemy it was fun to play online with people.

GeorgW said:
I'm pretty sure it also had 10 to start with but more of them were mixed.

I liked 2012 more the decks had a lot more difference to them, though I'll admit I don't think they were balanced as well (so tired of playing against people with that green-blue deck)
Thanks for the info. I've seen that deck in action, it looks like a complete beast. From what I've seen of both games, 12's decks just seemed more fun, but then again, I've only seen the 3 decks available in the demo.

starhaven

Jan 24, 2010
its crap

the old ones where better the only thing that is better is the fact that there is a goblin mob deck and nothing else interesting about it jaces deck feels like a cut down copy of the old mind void deck from the first one that worked alot better than the jaces and other than the planes chasing with my mates the game is over all boring

Ganath

Jan 24, 2011
Squee. The Goblin Nabob. That is all.

Love the addition of planechase and the goblin deck is neat. Shame for the lack of dual or tri colour decks though. But that will be expanded upon, probably.

ConfusedCrib

Oct 30, 2008
Thank God, a review I finally agree with. So many reviewers have failed to point out the disappointing decks, and how lackluster this title is for long time returning players. Thank you.

zuse098

Mar 15, 2012
i think they should add a deck building feacher or some thing to give you more customizeation over your deck what do you think?