Duke Nukem Forever Coming in May

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Duke Nukem Forever Coming in May

The Big Day isn't here yet, but the big day announcing the Big Day is: Duke Nukem Forever [http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Pc/dp/B002I0JAJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295625478&sr=8-1] has an official release date.

In 1997, Bill Clinton was inaugurated for his second term as the President of the United States. Princess Diana was killed in a car crash. Duke Nukem 3D [http://www.amazon.com/Quake-2-Pc/dp/B000028U28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295625594&sr=8-1] entitled Duke Nukem Forever.

Well, here we are, it's two-thousand-and-freakin'-eleven, and guess what? Finally, for real, no foolin' around, after more than a decade of dicking around, Gearbox [http://www.2kgames.com/] have made it official: the Duke is back on May 3 in North America and May 6 in the rest of the world.

"When I said goodbye to 3D Realms and the original Duke Nukem 3D team in 1997 and soon after founded Gearbox Software, I never in my wildest dreams imagined that a day like today would come," said Gearbox President Randy Pitchford. "Today I am proud, humbled and even astounded to announce that the day is coming at last for all gamers to be a part of video game history: Duke Nukem Forever will launch worldwide this May!"

I think it's safe to say that a lot of gamers, who were in grade four when the no-longer-ironically-named DNF was announced and have since graduated from college, share Pitchford's astonishment that this is actually happening and that they will in fact play this game one day soon. It's almost a little disappointing in some respects. Who are we going to lob cheap and easy vaporware jokes at now that Duke Nukem Forever is an actual, real thing?

A demo is on the way, first for members of the right here at The Escapist [http://www.dukenukemforever.com/access/].

So remember: May 3 (or May 6). PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Duke Nukem Forever. Don't be late!

May 25, 2010
I can't believe this is coming out on my birthday. I find it kind of ironic that this games was announced just 3 years after I was born and here it is now coming out on my birthday.

I'll probably play it eventually, but I'm in no rush.

Tr3mbl3Tr3mbl3

Mar 11, 2010
My prediction: this game is either going to be awful and remembered for generations to come as the biggest blunder the industry ever managed to crap out, or its going to be the best game in the last five years and praised for being more than worth the wait.

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
Watched the new Trailer on the site, and ive got to say, if it plays like the classic with tweaks, im sooo going to love it, missed that crass humour :D

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Tr3mbl3Tr3mbl3 said:
My prediction: this game is either going to be awful and remembered for generations to come as the biggest blunder the industry ever managed to crap out, or its going to be the best game in the last five years and praised for being more than worth the wait.
dont forget the 3rd option that itll be delayed once more and then thell just say its not coming out

PurkinjeFiber

Jan 21, 2011
I hope they make a few jokes about all its delays and shenanigans. I'm not too excited for this, but who knows? This might be enjoyable.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
After being asked if his game was good, Duke Nukem replies: "After 12 fucking years, it had better be"

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
I..
Um..
Wow.

I guess Duke Nukem Forever finally almost coming out.
I never thought I'd say that.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
It's almost a little disappointing in some respects. Who are we going to lob cheap and easy vaporware jokes at now that Duke Nukem Forever is an actual, real thing?
HL2 E3?

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Meh, I'll need to play that demo before I put out any cash on this thing. Not all too excited for a game that gained its fame for a bunch of jokes that were funny two decades ago.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Azaraxzealot said:
maybe this will kill the "gritty realistic shooters" trend? one can only hope
Bulletstorm is going to beat DNF to the punch on this one.

See, the fact here is that DNF is such a legendary game already that you kind of have to pick it up, even if it's not very good. The fact that you can actually play a game that was canceled and brought back to life multiple times and joked about for years is probably going to be worth it.

And at least this gives me a bit of time to save up some money for it but I doubt this release date is going to be solid.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
All throughout DNF's history, I've constantly compared it to Guns 'N Roses Chinese Democracy. I seriously thought I'd never live to witness either see the light of day.

When this comes out, I'm playing it with Chinese Democracy on full blast, and not a single fuck will be given that day.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Jonci said:
Meh, I'll need to play that demo before I put out any cash on this thing. Not all too excited for a game that gained its fame for a bunch of jokes that were funny two decades ago.
Actually, Duke Nukem 3D was an amazing shooter, an absolute work of genius. Easily one of the best FPSes of all time, and while it wasn't the technological revolution that Quake was, it was most definitely a better game.

That's one of the reasons I'm a little nervous about DNF. Everything I've seen has been focused on dick jokes, naked bimbos and Duke sticking his dick into everything he can get his hands on. He's the ultimate shit-talking brotard superstud. But what about the game? I worry that somewhere along the way, the focus on what actually make DN3D such a great game - the fact that it was a great game - has been lost.

I'm definitely looking forward to trying the demo but when one of the big selling points is watching Duke take a first-person perspective piss, well... yeah.