Duke Nukem Forever DLC Coming Next Week

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Duke Nukem Forever DLC Coming Next Week

Hail to the Icons, the first Duke Nukem Forever DLC pack, is coming next week.

We first found out about the Hail to the Icons Parody Pack DLC for July [http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Pc/dp/B002I0JAJ2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1317926235&sr=8-3] but here's a recap for those of you who weren't paying attention. For handing over a little bit of your hard-earned coin to the gang at Gearbox, you'll get three new game modes: the classic Freeze Tag, the free-for-all Hail to the King and Hot Potato, in which everyone competes to "see who can hold on to the babe the longest!"

There are also four multiplayer maps, each sporting its very own brand-new weapon. You've got "Call of Duke," with the map-spamming N00b T00b; "Inferno," a "hellish landscape of lava and teleporters," not to mention a shiny new DFG; "Sandpit," a giant sandbox with bases and - you guessed it - sticky bombs, and "2Forts1Bridge," which comes complete with a handy-dandy mini-gun.

And how much does this sort of exciting, boundary-pushing creativity cost? You might think it'd be free, but no! You will actually have to pay money for it, specifically 800 Microsoft points on Xbox Live or $9.99 on the PlayStation Network and Steam. The Duke Nukem Forever Hail to the Icons Parody Pack will be available on October 11.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Yes because the main game was that good, to deserve an extra 10bucks for a Small weapon/map pack...

Still i do find the references hilarious...

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
So I can spend $10 to get a crappy parody of TF2's 2fort in a crappy game...or I can go play TF2 and all the DLC/updates that have ever been released for it for free instead. Tough call.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Working on this kind of product has to absolutely horrible.
Because you know no matter what you do, people will flog your work, because of stuff someone did ten years ago.

Triforceformer

Jun 16, 2009
And if you're in the super-awesome extra-special First Access Club for DNF, you will get this DLC for free. AND this DLC will be released alongside a free patch that will cut down loading times and improve texture streaming on the 360 version. Anyway, I am looking forward to 2Forts1Bridge. It's a terrible TF2 map, but the way DNF's multiplayer is designed will make things glorious. But those single-player achievements for an un-announced DLC that Gearbox snuck onto Steam have piqued my interest more.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
If they would want to put Team Fortress 2 parody in DNF...
*puts glasses on*
... they should've paid you to play the DLC.
*YEEEEHAAA*

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Its best to be worth more than the hair on my arse before you start parodying stuff. The only joke is that they're actually charging for it.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Triforceformer said:
And if you're in the super-awesome extra-special First Access Club for DNF, you will get this DLC for free. AND this DLC will be released alongside a free patch that will cut down loading times and improve texture streaming on the 360 version. Anyway, I am looking forward to 2Forts1Bridge. It's a terrible TF2 map, but the way DNF's multiplayer is designed will make things glorious. But those single-player achievements for an un-announced DLC that Gearbox snuck onto Steam have piqued my interest more.
Thanks for the reminder, I forgot it was free for us. But it's MP I assume, so it wont matter to me much.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Oh yeah I forgot about the planned DLC...

Despite still owning and playing the game I'm not going to get this, but then again its Gearbox making this so it might actually be good.

And I fell that TF2 related map is going to generate a lot of hate here.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I don't see why they would charge for DLC Especially at the outrageous price of half the games cost!! It would be as though an average game charging 35 bucks per dlc.

With a meta score of 54 and the same price point as Call of Duty 2 not MW2 just COD2 they should be begging as hard as possible to sell that game. Almost as bad as MindJack busting out dlc for that terrible game.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Is this thing going to have achievements? Because I dont want my 100% on the game screwed up... in other words, I am hoping it does NOT have them...

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
Can you hear that? Just listen. Hear it?

That is the sound of nobody caring...

unless you want to buy this

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
You would think that the least Gearbox could do would be to say "Sorry we sold you such a bad game, here's some free stuff to perhaps make it slightly more worth your $60." That would be an excellent PR move and perhaps win them back some consumer trust... But they really expect us to pay an extra $10 for what amounts to a relatively small bit of content?.... No, Gearbox, just no.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
You know, this would have been the perfect thing to smooth things over for all the burned fans, but they had to go ahead and charge for it. As a guy that actually liked DNF [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.291283-Hypnotic-reviews-Duke-Nukem-Forever], I won't get this and even if it was free it wouldn't have gotten me playing again. That MP sucked!

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
So I will have to pay for 3 game modes and 4 maps which should essentially be free?Yeah .. no dice! Also I don't see the point in mocking other FPS that are clearly better then you in every single point.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"Inferno," a "hellish landscape of lava and teleporters," not to mention a shiny new DFG;
Clearly a Doom parody.
"BFG" is, in Doom parlance, commonly expanded as "Big Fucking Gun" when not in polite company.
We can assume that the D replacing the B is short for Duke.
So it's a Duke Fucking Gun.
I don't want a Duke Fucking Gun.