Duke Nukem Forever in late '08: Dallas Business Journal

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Duke Nukem Forever in late '08: Dallas Business Journal

Duke Nukem Forever, long mocked as perpetual vaporware, may be slated for a 2008 release.

The Dallas Business Journal reported on Wednesday that developer 3D Realms is aiming for a late 2008 release for the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.

"We haven't formally announced any platforms for DNF," wrote 3D Realms President Scott Miller in an e-mail exchange. "But, of course hitting the big three makes the most sense (PC, PS3, 360)."
Miller added a note of caution on the 12-years-coming sequel and its release window, claiming, "We can't make an official announcement. Frankly, we may miss the mark by a month or two, but I feel very confident that we're on target this time. It's definitely an internal push."

The article appeared to earn the ire of 3D Realms official Greg Broussard, who said the release information was given off the record (assuming, of course, gamers are not being subject to a prank of sorts).

"In what appears to be an unfortunate turn of events, there seems to have been some confusion between what was 'off the record' and what was not. I suppose we're used to dealing with gaming press and not mainstream press. Lesson learned," he wrote on the company website.

The title has been in development for 11 years and a short trailer was released last year.

Source: Ars Technica [http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/2008/02/04/daily17.html]

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
The tragedy is that unlike the grand folly that was Daikatana, my guess is that the iteration of Duke Nukem Forever that was in development for 11 years has been scrapped, and the one to be released in '08 was probably started from scratch a year or so ago.

All in all, I think we'll see a game similar to Prey in the sense that it is a decent game, but a far cry from the grand ambitions that caused the famous delays. This is a shame because I would've liked to have seen the game that was originally planned, failure or not.

Haliwali

Jan 29, 2008
I'll believe it when I see it... and why the hell has it taken them a decade to figure out what they want to put it on?