Duke Nukem Forever Lawsuits Dropped

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Duke Nukem Forever Lawsuits Dropped

Take-Two and Apogee have dismissed their lawsuits over Duke Nukem Forever [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_Forever], meaning we can finally get back into the comfortable routine of idly speculating about when it will be finished.

The story of the Duke Nukem debacle, the gaming world's most infamous punchline, looked like it had finally come to its best possible conclusion last year when news came out that after 12 years in development - 12 freakin' years - 3D Realms was messing with it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91526-Updated-3D-Realms-Shutting-Down] in order to force a fire sale of the Duke Nukem property.

But now it looks like everybody's friends again. Apogee [http://www.take2games.com/] have dismissed their suits with prejudice, meaning future suits over the same matter cannot be filed, and will each eat their share of the costs. What brought the two companies to this happy ending is unknown, but the important thing is this: With the legal bickering out of the way, development on Duke Nukem Forever can, in theory at least, begin again. I can hardly wait!

Source: GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2010/06/15/take-two-apogee-settle-duke-suit]

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
It makes me wonder if the court system was being manipulated for promotional purposes given this specific resulution.

All of this time, effort, and use of a public legal venue and nothing happens?

Still 12 years is a ridiculous amount of time here, and honestly I can't see anything really good happening with this franchise from here out any way it goes.

As an observer of this entire drama, including the ridiculous development schedule, it would have been nice to finally get some answers as to what the heck was going on though.

Oddly, it would be cool if Apogee went on to develop some other stuff, I have fond memories of downloading their demos and such from BBS systems waaaay back in the day. I mean forget Duke Nukem, what has Dopefish been up to since his last apperance in a Commander Keen game. :p

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
This is still floating about!? Well...at least the law part is no longer in on it anymore...

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
It must be pretty depressing as a developer to know he worked 12 years of his life on a product and that that will never ever get released.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
Yay?
This game had best be the greatest thing ever created if it is ever made, otherwise I fear for the health of all of those involved...the fans can take crap for only so long!

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Yeah, I don't think we'll be seeing Duke Nukem Forever. Just because the lawsuit has been dropped doesn't mean that the studios will change their minds on how viable of a future the game has, especially after they cancelled development after 12 year (and incomplete) cycle. If anything, I'd expect the IP to possibly be sold to someone else, who will make a new game instead. But I'm more willing to believe we've seen the last of Duke.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
*Takes Duke Nukem out back to put it to rest, Office Space style!*

The Duke is the scariest ghost story I've ever heard... o.o; Honestly, nothing can compare to it... Forget Slender Man and the Boogey Man and all that, for one day, you might just find yourself playing a (*GASP*) Duke Nukem Game! (Classic silver screen movie feint.)

DancePuppets

Nov 9, 2009
If for some reason they decide to make this game it had better be exactly as Yahtzee described or I will be most disappointed!

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Alright. The only reason why this could even possibly happen for a good reason is that BOTH sides are genuinely just trolling everyone that's still hoping for this thing to launch and are still taking this thing seriously.

Because I can't think of another reason other than pure entertainment purposes. But even if this were true...it'd still be a multimillion troll attempt and that's just...honestly, how much money do these howler monkeys have left to burn?

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Did anyone else have trouble reading the article outside of the forum? Hm.

Anyways, on topic. Wahey! It's such a shame, though, as Duke Nukem is one of those franchises (sorry, was) where you didn't get a truly serious game. It was a joke, a good laugh, something to kill an evening with. Either way, it's ironic that Duke Nukem: Forever itself was a joke in that it's taken this long and there's still nothing to show for it.

I do hope we will get DNF at some point, but I think it's time they started again.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
About a year ago, PC Gamer magazine offered a prize to anyone who still held on to a pre-order receipt for Duke Nukem Forever... amazingly, one guy still had his! So there are still people expecting this game to be made and delivered, otherwise GameStop could see potential lawsuits in the future for not returning deposits on games that will apparently never be made within our respective lifetimes.
Now if you want to talk about a die-hard fan, that guy who has been waiting over a decade to cash in on his 12 year old pre-order I think trumps most of us for patience... and his filing ability!
Sadly though, this doesn't really end the debate. Rumors will persist for years unless an actual final product is released under the name Duke Nukem Forever. However, by the time the actual game is released (and provided the technology is still the same as in the original game engine and graphics), you'll be able to play that game on a modern calculator! Knowing our luck, they will release the game to coincide with a movie tie-in release of the same name. Taco Bell will feature Duke Nukem "collectable" cups, and Cheetos will have Duke's stupid face on their bags. It will be like when Star Wars came back with the prequels and this hysteria will sweep the land for all of about a day... then you'll hear two weeks of kids saying "Who the hell is Duke Nukem?"

slowpoke999

Sep 17, 2009
Canadian Briton said:
You can always count on duke.
What happens if the bet holders die before the game is released?Do we still get the money, or will we be informed to blow it out our ass?