Duke Nukem Forever PR Agency Threatens Sites Over Bad Reviews - UPDATED

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
HOW DARE those reviewers review are game and give them negative reviews! How DARE they have an opinion that isn't positive!!!

good god, everything around this game makes me dislike it. it even more.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
That's really quite pathetic.
Reviewers should be allowed to say whatever the hell they want about a game that THEY REVIEW.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Wow, that sure is immature. I wonder how these people ever get to these positions anyway?
At least I don't have to worry about retribution, as my review [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.291283-Hypnotic-reviews-Duke-Nukem-Forever#11590762] or DNF was pretty positive.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
PR Company: HOW YOU CHOOSE TO EXPRESS YOUR OPINION IS UNACCEPTABLE! BE NICE OR WE WILL SUE YOU!

Moron logic if I ever heard it. Man I hate when corporations try to exercise their authority over people who criticize them.

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
poiumty said:
The best way to counter a reviewer who didn't like the shitty game he just played is to stop making shitty games.
yeah that'll show us!
OT: these PR companies need to understand that they cant just say "you were mean so you cant review our games." and they cant ban someone from buying a game for themselves and reviewing it. and occasionally its not someone going OTT, its a shit game.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I guess it takes an immature PR agency to represent an immature game.

... Well done, guys!

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
I guess it takes an immature PR agency to represent an immature game.
Ha!

Although I'd have to imagine Duke himself wouldn't care about bad reviews - not only is his ego large enough to ignore them but apparently he replenishes his ego by hiding in corners until the bad men go away.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
For too many years gaming magazines and websites would give good reviews to any game if the publisher bought some ads. After a while gamers figured out that's why crappy games got good reviews and refused to take those magazines and sites seriously, so that's pretty much stopped. Unfortunately, some PR firms missed the memo and want things back the way they were.

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
grimner said:
Fun that the PR of a game that has you shooting women because they did not lose their baby fat after being raped by aliens thinks reviewers have gone too far in tone.

Just saying.
wtf i think i missed that part of the game? or well you're just making shit up?

ontopic, its not a secret that this happens but not as openly, remember reviewer getting fired for bad reviewing a game they were promoting on the site? in dukes case theres probably aalot of bandwagon jumping on hate, reviews are not even a good way to judge a game, noone gives 0's or 1's its all 2-4.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Traun said:
Normally, I would agree with you, this is low, but we are talking about game journalism - the most unprofessional job on the planet.
Perhaps the problem is not with "games journalism" but with your sources. You and a lot of other people are so ready to lump it all into one big pile, but would you do the same with non-specialized journalism? Does the existence of state-controlled news agencies in China, Iran and Zimbabwe make all journalists unprofessional?
My "sources" and I use the term lightly since I don't read much reviews these days are all, are all featured into Metacritic, and considering the fact that game publishers and developers try to appeal to that system ( no matter how broken or stupid ) gives credit to it.
I really don't understand where you are going with state-controlled news, I am talking about the fact that people with obvious personal biases review games and then they ( or at least some of them ) defend themselves with "my opinion" as if what they're saying has no more weight than that of a forum user, not to mention that some of them don't even finish the games they are reviewing.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
dude 2k hire a new PR firm this one is obviously not so good at PR
i mean this guy works in public relations his job is to make sure people dont do stupid crap like this when dealing with the media

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
I love how people always get like this. He probably thinks all of these bad reviews were some sort of co-ordinated effort to destroy Duke Nukem...

No. You made a terrible game and so recieved terrible reviews. Next time dont spend 12 years..actually, I have NO idea what the hell you guys were doing this whole time!

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Wandering_Hero said:
TheDooD said:
Duke Nukem: Time to Kill the greatest PSX games I've played and they're much better then Forever.
You need to played Die Hard Trilogy. I found Time to kill an embarasment compared to either Duke Nukem 3d or Die Hard trilogy
Come on now Duke Nukem 3D is great but its overrated to all hell and you can't even compare it with Die Hard at all. The hype around DN3D its a reason why DNF basically bombed. Time to Kill took what made 3D great, yet made fun of Tomb Raider styled 3rd person games and it turned out to be a very solid game. How was Time to Kill an "embarrassment" when it had strippers, pig cops, secrets (a lot of them at that), and wide selection of guns and explosives. Not forgetting all the witty comments and tomb raider references it had. If I remember right Duke even made a South Park joke in the game. Maybe at the time you first played Time to Kill it seemed like an embarrassment yet if you look back you'll see it's most likely the greatest of the Duke Nukem series.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
I dunno, I haven't played it but can it really be THAT bad? I've heard some seriously savage stuff about the game, including the escapists review. I'm thinking I'll just rent it rather than buy it this time.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
"Things are not going well for Duke Nukem Forever."

You could have said this at any point in the last 7-9 years and it would have still been an accurate statement.