Duke Nukem Forever PR Agency Threatens Sites Over Bad Reviews - UPDATED

Naturality

Feb 23, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"It's one thing to not like a game, it's an entirely different thing to rate it a 2 & b completely mean spirited."
Jim Sterling of Destructoid: "Nobody should think kindly of such a miserable, lifeless, grotesque little game." 2/10

Methinks Dtoid might be one of these unnamed 'evil' sites. How dare they have a negative opinion of a game?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
lacktheknack said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
-_-

Oh Gearbox... what did you think you were getting into.

You should of figured out the game you decided to finish was the combined mess of ten years of many developers.

Don't blame the reviewers and don't say you will not support the sites that gave it a bad reviews, who are basically half your marketing (as shown by Duke sticking his gun in our face over to your left). People haven't forgotten about Kane and Lynch and Gamespot, doing that against the entire internet won't make you friends.
It wasn't Gearbox... That was the Redner Group. Which is related to 2K. Randy Pitchford hasn't stuck his oar in yet, as far as I know.
O Rly? [http://www.gamefront.com/gearboxs-randy-pitchford-reviewers-who-dont-like-duke-nukem-forever-will-be-held-accountable/]
No one involved with the game is acting very maturely. It is disgraceful.
That was pre-release. I haven't seen anything post-release, but it looks like he'll have to eat his words.

Also, it's freaking Duke Nukem. When did maturity ever enter the picture?

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
lacktheknack said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
lacktheknack said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
-_-

You should of figured out the game you decided to finish was the combined mess of ten years of many developers.

Don't blame the reviewers and don't say you will not support the sites that gave it a bad reviews, who are basically half your marketing (as shown by Duke sticking his gun in our face over to your left). People haven't forgotten about Kane and Lynch and Gamespot, doing that against the entire internet won't make you friends.
It wasn't Gearbox... That was the Redner Group. Which is related to 2K. Randy Pitchford hasn't stuck his oar in yet, as far as I know.
O Rly? [http://www.gamefront.com/gearboxs-randy-pitchford-reviewers-who-dont-like-duke-nukem-forever-will-be-held-accountable/]
That was pre-release. I haven't seen anything post-release, but it looks like he'll have to eat his words.

I expect developers and publishers to be professional. Arrogance, immaturity, and petty anger is never okay no matter what game it is involved with. It might be pre-release, but he is still challenging reviewers.

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
We really need to revamp the review system for games, Companys seem to consider reviewers as some kind of ad agency that they are sending their game off to get great press coverage for. This idea is really misguided. Is this really what the video game industry has come too? Cheap shots and bribes? What happen to just making a game and then just selling it?

On the flipside, Gearbox should have stayed the hell away from DNF. Atleast in the form it was currently in when they got it. Also the gameplay should have never had any of that modern nonsense they packaged into it. They make a big case about how DNF is superior to all them evil modern shooters. And yet it itself copies the Halo gameplay word for word?

Anyway, give this one a skip and look forward for the new Serious Sam game. Which is pretty much the un-hypocritical version of DNF. and with 90% less hype.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
lacktheknack said:
It is not "freaking Duke Nukem". It is known as real life, a place where rational thinking and maturity gets you very far than being a jerk and fuckwad.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
To tell you the truth.

I'm still shock the game comes out and it will take me four years to actually play the bloody thing.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I can sympathize. It's got to be hard to watch a project you put a lot of work on become the subject of a thrashing. At least he had the sense and grace to apologize. GameSpot never went as far after the whole Kane and Lynch debacle.

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
lacktheknack said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
-_-

What, you expected people involved with Duke Nukem to be mature?

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
"too many went too far with their reviews...we r reviewing who gets games next time and who doesn't based on today's venom...It's one thing to not like a game, it's an entirely different thing to rate it a 2 & b completely mean spirited."

Look at how they talk. It's obvious they're lacking upstairs. Pat them on the heads and move on to something that matters.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Vibhor said:
lacktheknack said:
It is not "freaking Duke Nukem". It is known as real life, a place where rational thinking and maturity gets you very far than being a jerk and fuckwad.
Joke man. Joke.

And really, I'd contest that statement anyways. It's all about GETTING AWAY WITH being a jerkwad. See: Paying out the reviewers. It worked great until the Kane and Lynch debacle.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
ScoopMeister said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
lacktheknack said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
-_-

What, you expected people involved with Duke Nukem to be mature?
I expect them to act professionally. They represent the industry. This childish BS helps no one.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Vibhor said:
lacktheknack said:
Joke man. Joke.

And really, I'd contest that statement anyways. It's all about GETTING AWAY WITH being a jerkwad. See: Paying out the reviewers. It worked great until the Kane and Lynch debacle.
We need an entirely new species who do not have corruption in their genes to do all the honest work. I would forgive every developer involved in the development of duke nukem forever if they made a species like that....one can dream, right?

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
What? You can't expect reviewers not to tell the damn truth about a game, whether that hurts sales or helps them.

At least he was man enough to eventually admit he acted out of emotion more than logic, though, I respect people admitting when they were wrong.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
well I suppose giving it as low as a 2 or something is a bit uncalled for since I mean the game works and is probably serviceable if rather tasteless altho that is kind of what duke was aiming for anyway

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Anybody else having a Kane & Lynch flashback? Sure, they didn't get anybody fired by threatening to pull ads, but the "how dare you criticize this game?!" sentiment is clearly there. Look, if you don't want reviewers to tear your game apart, don't release shitty games. Simple, no?

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"too many went too far with their reviews...we r reviewing who gets games next time and who doesn't based on today's venom," he wrote on the official Redner Group Twitter feed [http://twitter.com/TheRednerGroup]. "It's one thing to not like a game, it's an entirely different thing to rate it a 2 & b completely mean spirited."
This is what gets me. He says it's alright not to like a game, but that doesn't mean you can give it a 2? What the fuck?

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Andy Chalk said:
Duke Nukem Forever PR Agency Threatens Sites Over Bad Reviews
This is one of the reasons why the video game industry isn't taken seriously. Publishers and developers act like 3 year olds when their games aren't received well. And threatening reviewers for being honest? Fuck you.
I'll end with this:
Well, in hnesty this also happens in the film industry. Critic no matter in what medium get the calls telling them they "didn't get it". It is to be expected. Artist are "sensitive" folk... Or to be more honest usually up their own arse.