Duke Nukem Forever PR Agency Threatens Sites Over Bad Reviews - UPDATED

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
I must say some reviewers these days really do go too far..
I do believe Brink deserved better reviews than it received, but yes.. i know its not perfect.

But DNF?
What a terrible, terrible game.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
TheComedown said:
Andy Chalk said:
"too many went too far with their reviews...we r reviewing who gets games next time and who doesn't based on today's venom," he wrote on the official Redner Group Twitter feed [http://twitter.com/TheRednerGroup]. "It's one thing to not like a game, it's an entirely different thing to rate it a 2 & b completely mean spirited."
This is what gets me. He says it's alright not to like a game, but that doesn't mean you can give it a 2? What the fuck?
Also, if you are curious, this is the exact review he is referring to:
http://www.destructoid.com/review-duke-nukem-forever-203658.phtml
Oh, I have a feeling Jim might bring this up in an episode of Jimquisition soon.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
In other words, if you were too hard on the Duke in your review, which is by any definition an entirely subjective measure, you may not be getting any more games or coverage support from the Redner Group in the future.
Truth be told game journalism is in a pathetic state and they have a point. A lot of game reviewer act like 16 year olds who believe that cussing and bashing for the sake of bashing is acceptable. Not to mention that game reviewers tend to stop playing after Act 1/half-way through and never finish the actual game.

And then you have things like this [http://www.g4tv.com/games/pc/34809/Red-Orchestra-Ostfront-41-45/review/] where the game is reviewed by someone who obviously hates the sub-genre with passion.

Normally, I would agree with you, this is low, but we are talking about game journalism - the most unprofessional job on the planet.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
This PR firm has a very loose understanding of PR if they threaten reviewers over bad scores. A childish tantrum is hardly an incentive for serious game companies to hire them

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
People in positions of authority need to stay the hell away from Twitter. Seriously. They get a little bit annoyed and suddenly entire companies look like childish arseholes.

As for negative reviews, that only certifies what Duke Nukem is and should be in my opinion. Duke Nukem Forever is the gaming equivalent of Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus, or my favourite crap B-movie, Sharktopus. Of course reviews are going to say it's bad, on so many levels it is, but that doesn't mean there won't be people having a good time.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Andy Chalk said:
Duke Nukem Forever PR Agency Threatens Sites Over Bad Reviews
This is one of the reasons why the video game industry isn't taken seriously. Publishers and developers act like 3 year olds when their games aren't received well. And threatening reviewers for being honest? Fuck you.
I'll end with this:
With a 14 year development cycle being claimed, they should have been prepared for the backlash if they didn't release the next greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm not overly suprised this came from 2k Games or an affiliate. You can't expect reviewer to risk his/her credibility just so you can get a good review. Jim Sterling's answer is the right one.

Until these developers learn to accept failure the game industry will never go anywhere but down. Blaming the reviewer, the user, the pirates, anyone else but yourselves isn't productive.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
This is extremely unprofessional. How on earth would they ever think this would be something to tweet? This agency should be shunned from the industry.

It's not our problem the game is so fucking shit. I for one am pleased that reviewers aren't kissing it's ass like they normally do with big releases. If a game is this much of a mess it deserves the hate.

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
poiumty said:
The best way to counter a reviewer who didn't like the shitty game he just played is to stop making shitty games.
Yes, but it is not the cheapest.

naam

Dec 16, 2010
I liked DNF (PC version) though, never pay any attention to reviewing anyway

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
I find it somewhat ironic that they'd do this, considering I kept hearing so often about them actually *wanting* people to hate on the mysoginy and their supposed 'old-skool flair'.

Whelp...guess they got what they asked for.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
See, you in the PR industry, this is why those of us not in the PR industry think you are scum of the earth.

Your entire industry is built around controlling people. Telling people what to think, what to like, what to do, often. Why in heaven's name can't you control yourselves?

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Who employs to be your PR people a company that lashes out at people who write poor reviews like a spoiled child, apparently can't spell, and thinks Twitter is an acceptable medium over which to address your clientele? o_O

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Wow, if its not devs accusing us of "not being real gamers" or "no getting it", its PR reps accusing us of stating personal opinions.

For a start, if I was that rep's boss I'd be giving him a verbal warning right now. Working in PR you need to be thick-skinned and not the sort that starts crying on twitter when it doesnt go your way.

His comment about reviewing who gets to review the games made me chuckle - its essentially saying, "We're only going to give the games to people who like us and will give us good reviews."

Problem for that rep is I haven't come across a positive review of Duke's latest title yet...

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Odd that the PR company would do this publicly. Whoever wrote that threat has probably been fired - if you work at a PR firm, the LAST THING YOU WANT TO DO is to issue thinly veiled threats at the people your PR firm is ostensibly trying to reach out to.

If they actually carried through with their threat, then they'd better be prepared to ship very few review copies because almost the entire field of gaming journalists hate the game (or dislike it at least). Way to go man, threatening the majority of journalists your industry needs to co-operate with to survive!

Antwerp Caveman

Jan 19, 2010
Don't act like this is a new thing.
Didn't Gamespot or IGN fire a reviewer that on orders of their sponsor a while back?