Duke Nukem Forever Remade as Duke Nukem 3D Mod

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Duke Nukem Forever Remade as Duke Nukem 3D Mod

According to its creators, Duke Nukem Forever 2013 is the Duke game "that was meant to be".

In 2011, much to the collective dismay of gamers, Duke Nukem Forever was released after 15 years of development. The biggest disappointment <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8949-Duke-Nukem-Forever-Review>wasn't simply that DNF was a lackluster game, but that it followed Duke Nukem 3D, a fantastically designed shooter that still holds up well today. The prospect of a true DN3D sequel kept fans excited for over a decade, <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Duke_Nukem_Forever>despite multiple unfinished development cycles. Now modders Gambini and Mikko Sandt have released their version of "the game that was meant to be": A DN3D mod based on Forever's development history that also acts as a tribute to the original's gameplay.

Duke Nukem Forever 2013 was first revealed <a href=http://msdn.duke4.net/index.php>as an April Fool's joke on a DN3D modding site, but its creators have seen fit to make the mod available to the public. The finished project is relatively short, managing to combine elements from the finished game and its unreleased 2001 edition as a surprisingly polished campaign. Several moments <a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDlB2P1leRM>from the iconic 2001 E3 trailer are represented here, including new enemy types, motorcycle-driving segments, shootouts across Las Vegas, and more.

The mod comes packaged with a modern version of the Build engine, but players still need their copy of DN3D before they can shoot aliens like it's 1996. DNF 2013 isn't quite as robust as a full Duke game, but there is satisfaction in playing the levels we were promised back in 2001. More impressively, the entire project took its creators <a href=http://msdn.duke4.net/index.php>roughly six months to create, a detail you can insert your own joke about in the comments.

Source: <a href=http://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-nukem-forever>ModDB, via <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-01-ropey-duke-nukem-forever-turned-into-a-duke-nukem-3d-mod>Eurogamer

InvaderTim

Dec 9, 2012
The reverse wouldn't be a bad idea either. Would love to play 3D again without the eye cancer associated with playing at that resolution for longer than 12 seconds.

Oct 2, 2012
Sgt. Sykes said:
Duke Nukem 3D, a fantastically designed shooter that still holds up well today.
As someone who only played DN3D for the first time shortly before DNF came out, I'll say - no it doesn't hold up today, not at all. It does has its moment, but hold up, really, no. The 2D platformer DN game is much more fun.

And this comes from a guy who loved Doom when I first played it in 2004.

BTW definitely a nice idea for a mod, but I gotta ask... What's the point? Those who liked DN3D usually also loath DNF so I don't know who'd actually play this. If you do play it, it kinda proves DNF wasn't that terrible.
I enjoyed both :D
Though I'm not one for modding and I own the game on a console so while this is cool I wouldn't be able to play it.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
This looks kinda cute, but I'd definitely wouldn't play it.

I mean, I totally aknowdelage the importance DN3D had back in it's day and it still has some neat ideas that not many games today even bother implementing, but I definitely can tell you (coming from a Doom 1 fan and a serious Brutal Doom supporter) that no, it hasn't hold up well today. It's a fun game and all, but it's kinda dated and I'm not talking about the graphics.

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
I really enjoyed playing though D3D a few years ago. As long as you play with a source mod that adds mouselook, you're good to go.

Also, note that this isn't DNF as you know it, just as the ancient trailers looked back in 2001. So yeah, the Duke sequel that never was now is and totally should be.

flaviok79

Feb 22, 2011
6 months? This and the recent boom of indie developers like the people responsible for FTL and Hotline Miami ad to the chorus that chant "there is something wrong with the current development model". I would bet the problem is called "publishers and their meddling".

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Sgt. Sykes said:
Duke Nukem 3D, a fantastically designed shooter that still holds up well today.
As someone who only played DN3D for the first time shortly before DNF came out, I'll say - no it doesn't hold up today, not at all. It does has its moment, but hold up, really, no. The 2D platformer DN game is much more fun.

And this comes from a guy who loved Doom when I first played it in 2004.

BTW definitely a nice idea for a mod, but I gotta ask... What's the point? Those who liked DN3D usually also loath DNF so I don't know who'd actually play this. If you do play it, it kinda proves DNF wasn't that terrible.
I think DN3D holds up a lot better then Doom, the gameplay is almost the same but you get to look up and down and it avoids making its maps look like mazes with repetetive textures. Doom while fun is just running around killing monsters in a maze like level while DN3D adds some new layers to it with the familiar enviorments such as a fast food restaurant or a theater and some nice humor to keep things fresh. I would say that the gameplay is better tweaked in Doom but overall the idea of what DN3D is about (the interactivity with the levels and what they are about) is far more appealing then Doom

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
josemlopes said:
I think DN3D holds up a lot better then Doom, the gameplay is almost the same but you get to look up and down and it avoids making its maps look like mazes with repetetive textures. Doom while fun is just running around killing monsters in a maze like level while DN3D adds some new layers to it with the familiar enviorments such as a fast food restaurant or a theater and some nice humor to keep things fresh. I would say that the gameplay is better tweaked in Doom but overall the idea of what DN3D is about (the interactivity with the levels and what they are about) is far more appealing then Doom
I disagree. Certainly Doom levels didn't look like real places ("Barrels of Fun" comes to mind, and was it "Tricks and Traps", both from Doom2), but then they mostly weren't supposed to.

DN3D had a lot of elements the Doom designers probably would have killed for, jetpakcs, underwater, proper night vision goggles rather than "turn the darkness off for 5 minutes" stuff, being able to go over and under the same point on the map, etc. But, IIRC, it wasn't really used. Maybe the odd bit once or twice, but it was just tacked on. Oh, and there was lots of sexism and toilet humour, which appeals when you are 12.

Now, Doom had much less to work with, but used it all. The fancy new stuff of flashing lights, moving terrain and teleporters weren't gimmicks, they were important parts of the game.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Has anyone done a DNK mod thats not sprite based? I could have sworn there was acouple total conversion's somewhere....

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I'd put money on Duke Nukem Forever having gotten better reviews and better sales if they had just gone ahead and done it this way. At least it would have the retro aspect on it's side. Nice job Gambini and Mikko Sandt, you've done a better job in 6 months than multiple developers could do in 15 years.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Sgt. Sykes said:
Doom may seem like 'just running around killing monsters', but the layout and design of the levels are actually really smart. Also: giant robot spiders, probably my favorite enemy ever. And the id-patented shotgun.

BTW I played both in 'remake' versions with better graphics etc. Vanilla Doom obviously seems primitive compared to vanilla DN3D, but giving both better graphics actually shows DN3D is rather gimmicky without much base. Of course it has the humour, yea.

All IMHO.
I came here to say this, but you said it so much better. Thank you.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
I dunno, rewinding the game back into retro territory is a good thing.

But I don't think you can really redeem a game that pokes fun at rape, is shamelessly misogynistic for the sense of being misogynistic (instead of a parody of the pop icons Duke was designed to parody) , and just overall repugnant.

The game even shot its own humor in the kneecaps. Duke was all about pop culture references and parodies. Duke not only stole lines and elements from Hollywood blockbusters, but also offered a satirical look on current events (DN3D, for example, references OJ Simpson, just as one bit). The most Duke does in comparison is point to a power suit and say "Lul its 4 pusys", while stealing the mechanics wholesale.

Forever lacked these elements. They parodied Duke himself, not Action/Videogame heroes. They were offensive, crass, and juvenile - In all the wrong ways too!

To remake DNF, you'd almost certainly have to rewind the game, fundamentally change the script/characters/plot/gameplay to make it appeasing. And if you DID do that, then the question must be asked: How is it even DNF anymore?

A step in the right direction, but this is honestly its over a bridge that deserves to be imploded, not repaired.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Sgt. Sykes said:
This is how I play it:
[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/doomremake.jpg/]
Me, I'll play the original, or one of the DOS-based ports. I did work on some smaller non-ZDoom ports so if I want to play my own levels or such I don't have an option!