Duke Nukem Forever: Steamworks and Sexy Hats

Levi93

Oct 26, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Levi93 said:
So if I buy DNF on ps3, can I download it on steam aswell? Is it kinda like Portal 2?
No. Not even close.
Oh right OK, I just assumed that cause it was on steamworks it would mean I could get 2 copies.

I hope they incorporate this sometime in the future cause I dont want to have to buy two copies of the same game just so I can play with 2 different sets of friends.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I
Want
That
Hat

....What makes my wallet cry is Portal 2 is coming out in the same time neighborhood. GAAH the choices!
lacktheknack said:
linwolf said:
Woodsey said:
linwolf said:
Using steamworks, one more game that I will have to cross of my buy list. I am now down to one or maybe two games this entire year.
When I first heard about this years line up there where 11 game on it, but one by one DRM has strip them from the list, only one was removed because trouble with the game itself.

A game has to be on a way cheap sale before I will put up with the hassle that is steam.
Wha-

Bu-

You have 53 games on Steam!
And I never paid more than 15 for any of them and if you remove three never more than 10. I might stress it to 20 if the game seemed really good but any more and the DRM would make it a no go for me.
I never said steam was bad it is for older game that GOG doesn't have and you can't get anywhere else or game on a really good sale where the cheaper price make up for the DRM. But buying a new game, never.
What DRM?

Yeah, short post, but I still haven't gotten an answer for this either.
The DRM that comes as part of Steam, which is non-invasive and non-draconian. Neither Gearbox nor 2K has ever implemented anything worse than what comes with Steam, so I don't know what this guy's complaint is. Except for the money part. Which is understandable if you don't have a job or parents to buy everything for you.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
I
Want
That
Hat

....What makes my wallet cry is Portal 2 is coming out in the same time neighborhood. GAAH the choices!
Portal 2 is being developed on Valve time. Only believe the release dates when their games go gold.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Hi, im just gonna deconstruct this argument a bit...
Sgt. Sykes said:
If I buy a game on a freakin' DVD, I want to be able to play it forever.
Simply does not happen anymore. Case example: Old Xbox games on the 360 and the extinction of the 3-and-a-half-inch floppy disc.

I won't accept any stupid background program which will delay running the game.
The only hassle Steam has ever given me from its end is waiting for updates to finish, logging in and the occasional server bork. I dont know where you get background program from, as it only really does anything when youre playing games through it.

I despise DRM. Now, I KINDA can accept simple disk-check copy protection.
Which was scrapped because it was easy to bypass, and DRM isnt a big improvement.

With games requiring Steam, I'd need to download the whole fucking game from torrent sites, which means they'll call me a pirate.
You think using Steam makes you a pirate? If Steam was a torrent site it wouldnt openly state that Valve runs it.

Plus it's pretty hard to even install updates for such games.
Its done automatically. No user input required.

If I don't like the game, I don't want to see it in my Steam account. I want to be able to sell it without hassle.
OK, thats actually justified.

The last retail game I bought that uses Steam(works) still lies unopened on my shelf. Good riddance too. If I'd have to be reminded about that piece of shit K&L2 every time I fired up Steam, I'd have to shoot myself.
Buying one shit game, even K&L2, is not a justification to not use a distribution platform.

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
Woodsey said:
How come?
I hate not having control over what I own, steams makes modding a lot harder. It makes it so I can play with friend without updating (not all updates are for the better). Valve can whenever they want ban you and remove you ability to play you games. It is an extra login screen whenever I want to play a game. Now these things it can accept for ten bucks but for full retail price I will rather use my money elsewhere.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Sgt. Sykes said:
lacktheknack said:
Tell us how you really feel. I still haven't gotten a decent anti-Steam argument.
If I buy a game on a freakin' DVD, I want to be able to play it forever. I won't accept any stupid background program which will delay running the game.

I despise DRM. Now, I KINDA can accept simple disk-check copy protection. That way, the only thing I need to download AFTER BUYING THE GAME is a little crack. With games requiring Steam, I'd need to download the whole fucking game from torrent sites, which means they'll call me a pirate. Plus it's pretty hard to even install updates for such games. If I don't like the game, I don't want to see it in my Steam account. I want to be able to sell it without hassle.

The last retail game I bought that uses Steam(works) still lies unopened on my shelf. Good riddance too. If I'd have to be reminded about that piece of shit K&L2 every time I fired up Steam, I'd have to shoot myself.
I am not sure you really know how Steam really works. You purchase a game with Steamworks, it gets tied into your FREE Steam account which you can access anywhere. If you get tired of a game you can uninstall it, then you can download it again with zero wear and tear on your DVD if you purchased it separately. Of course in this case it pays to have a good bandwidth. If you don't, you can still reinstall it through the disk if you purchased a hard copy. If you currently have dial-up speed on your internet service, I feel your pain, but the hard truth is there is more and more digital service that some of us are being left out on. But there are very few games on Steam that are not also available in hard copy. If you can't be bothered to reinstall the disk, then I can't feel sympathy for you there.
However, if you are able to download games with ease through torrent sites, then you should be having zero problems downloading through Steam. In which case your argument is flawed, in which it sounds more that you feel better about pirating games than you do buying them legitimately. In which case....
No Hat for You.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
[snip]
virtual t-shirt pack.
That might possibly be the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. I stopped reading right there and had to scratch my head for a second...

I guess thrown in with everything else it's a bit of a throw-away, but I still just think it's kinda dumb.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
linwolf said:
Woodsey said:
How come?
I hate not having control over what I own, steams makes modding a lot harder. It makes it so I can play with friend without updating (not all updates are for the better). Valve can whenever they want ban you and remove you ability to play you games. It is an extra login screen whenever I want to play a game. Now these things it can accept for ten bucks but for full retail price I will rather use my money elsewhere.
- All your normal game files are found in the Steam folder
- Turn auto-updates off
- Rarely happens by mistake, very easy to avoid if you just use it how you're meant to
- Tick auto-login

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
linwolf said:
Woodsey said:
How come?
Valve won't actually prevent you from playing games you purchased legitimately yourself, they just can prevent you from receiving updates and playing Valve-specific games online. But if they do ban you, then you can bet they had a very good reason to which they would be more than willing to stand up to in court. So unless you are into doing illegal things with your games and internet, you really have nothing to worry about there. Just make sure you keep your account secure.
Now if by modding you mean adding or tweaking gameplay features like laser sights on Left4Dead, then Valve has zero problem with that and I haven't heard any modders complain about having difficulties implementing that. In face Valve endorses game mods.
If by modding you mean hacking Steam itself to do different things like change access to games and affecting other people's accounts, then you are entitled to your very own Steam Ban and I feel no sympathy for you. Last time I checked, the code for Steam is owned by Valve. If and when Steam goes out of style, I wouldn't be surprised if Valve makes the code for it open source. At that time you can mod the hell out of it to your satisfaction. But until then, be happy with what you have, or don't touch it.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
lacktheknack said:
samsonguy920 said:
I
Want
That
Hat

Portal 2 is being developed on Valve time. Only believe the release dates when their games go gold.
I can only hope it gets delayed like until late summer at least. If I have to choose between Portal 2 and Duke Nukem Forever, I will go for the Duke.

and die inside as I listen to people tell me how much fun they are having with Portal 2.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
It's going to be on Steam and with Steamworks even. Awesome.

dncornholio

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
gigastar said:
Hi, im just gonna deconstruct this argument a bit...
Sgt. Sykes said:
If I buy a game on a freakin' DVD, I want to be able to play it forever.
Simply does not happen anymore. Case example: Old Xbox games on the 360 and the extinction of the 3-and-a-half-inch floppy disc.
It still exist on the PC but is dying fast because people have stop caring.

I won't accept any stupid background program which will delay running the game.
The only hassle Steam has ever given me from its end is waiting for updates to finish, logging in and the occasional server bork. I dont know where you get background program from, as it only really does anything when youre playing games through it.
That is all minor things people have just accepted but you paid a lot of money for the game, if I had a car that wouldn't start all time, I would be pissed. Any annoys that means that my friend laughs at me for buying legal has some big problems.

I despise DRM. Now, I KINDA can accept simple disk-check copy protection.
Which was scrapped because it was easy to bypass, and DRM isnt a big improvement.
Steam is just as easily bypassed a simple google and it's done.

Plus it's pretty hard to even install updates for such games.
Its done automatically. No user input required.
This annoys the hell out of me, it's a hassle not to get the update. And if you get it and find you don't like it there are no getting rid of it.