Duke Nukem Forever: Steamworks and Sexy Hats

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Duke Nukem Forever: Steamworks and Sexy Hats

2K Games announced today that the PC version of Duke Nukem Forever [http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Pc/dp/B002I0JAJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297804466&sr=8-1] will use Steamworks and also took the wraps off some awesome truckin' preorder bonuses.

It seems like just about every new videogame these days has some kind of preorder bonus and Duke Nukem Forever is no exception. Hot on the heels of news about the Balls of Steel Collector's Edition [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107714-2K-Announces-Duke-Nukem-Forever-Balls-of-Steel-Edition] comes word of two unique preorder offers, one from GameStop and one from Walmart.

Lay down your bucks at Walmart's [http://www.gamestop.com] wildly appropriate offer of a Duke Nukem Forever Trucker Hat! That's right, a real-life DNF big rigger lid that's sure to make you the envy of all the other kids on the block!

Gearbox Community Manager Chris Faylor also revealed on the Steam [http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=117553] account, ensuring that you'll always be able to install a copy of the game even if you lose your disc," he wrote.

Duke Nukem Forever comes out on May 3 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
And it uses Steamworks? Even more amazing... now if I can just get the money for the Balls of Steel edition...

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
Thats rather nice of them. Just pushed my chances of buying the game from probably not to very likely.

Dorian

Jan 16, 2009
$20 on a niftier, newer version of the Hound Dog hat for the Heavy from preordering this on Steam.

sheic99 said:
Is it weird that I assumed the hat would be in Team Fortress 2?
No, considering "Steam" and "hats" were in the same sentence.

Herp a derp.

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
If you had told me when the game was first announced that it would come out so far in the future that not only would it be released to a digital distribution platform and the whole thing could be downloaded legally off the internet, but also that I would have a credit card in which to use said platform, I would have have right then lost all faith in entertainment marketing and that would have saved me a great deal of grief.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Okay, can someone explain to me about the wal mart preorder. If I go to Walmart and pre order DNF, will I get the hat at the time of the preorder or when I pick the game up on the release date?

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
So first they bad-mouth Valve and say that they don't trust them and now DNF uses Steamworks? I don't get Gearbox sometimes.

sheic99 said:
Not weird at all. That was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the title.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
sheic99 said:
That's what I was thinking as well.

The fact that this game will be linked to steam regardless of purchase makes me happy, means I can get the balls of steel edition :O

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Big head mode? BIG HEAD MODE?
[h4]BIG HEAD MODE?[/h4]

Awesome.
Cool hat too, shame I don't look very good in hats.

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
Using steamworks, one more game that I will have to cross of my buy list. I am now down to one or maybe two games this entire year.
When I first heard about this years line up there where 11 game on it, but one by one DRM has strip them from the list, only one was removed because trouble with the game itself.

A game has to be on a way cheap sale before I will put up with the hassle that is steam.

N1ceDreamz

Mar 23, 2010
sheic99 said:
Nope, I did it too. And so did half the people reading this thread by the looks of it.

Nov 7, 2009
Portal Maniac said:
No, considering "Steam" and "hats" were in the same sentence.

Herp a derp.
I lol'd. :D

I want this. I WANT THIS. WAAANT.

I assume Valve will do SOME kind of TF2 tie-in. Like they do with everything.

Ringwraith

Absolutely Useless
Jan 15, 2009
EGO is the game's name for the health bar if I remember correctly from some of the gameplay videos, which sounds like a bit of a cop-out if you get a bigger health bar as a distributor-exclusive pre-order bonus.
The best pre-order bonuses are the ones that don't upset the balance of the game very much (if at all), as otherwise it's slipping down the slope of paying extra money making things much easier by making you more powerful.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Andy Chalk said:
Even better, in my ever-so-humble opinion, is Walmart's [http://www.walmart.com] wildly appropriate offer of a Duke Nukem Forever Trucker Hat!
A trucker hat? That's awesome. I won't be buying this game but it's still awesome. If only KOF came with a Terry Bogard Trucker's hat. I'd beat down the doors of that establishment to get my preorder in.