Duke Nukem Voice Actor Hints At Throat-Loosening DLC

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Duke Nukem Voice Actor Hints At Throat-Loosening DLC

It will come as no surprise that Duke Nukem Forever [http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Pc/dp/B002I0JAJ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306946790&sr=8-2] DLC is in the works, but what is unexpected is that some of it might involve singing.

I won't believe it until I see it but on the assumption that Duke Nukem Forever does make its June release date, we all know that add-ons and expansions in the form of downloadable content won't be far behind. Sure enough, Jon St. John, the voice of Duke Nukem, revealed that he's still doing voice recordings even though the game is finished and also dropped a rather unexpected hint about what the future might hold.

"I've probably done seven recording sessions for Duke Nukem Forever, and I have some still to go," he told Voice the Dream [http://voicethedream.com/2011/05/31/duke-nukem-forever-interview-voice-actor-jon-st-john-and-voice123/]. "Even though the game is still finished, of course there will be special add-ons and features including... I don't know if I am allowed to talk about this or not... something that may involve singing. I'll leave it at that."

And before you ask, yes, Jon St. John is the original voice of the Duke. He said the character was originally envisioned as a "Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry" type, but a whole lot meatier and thicker of head. "I said, 'Go ahead, make my day'," he explained, describing the early development of the character. "They said, 'OK, that's the right kind of voice but remember, Duke is a big buffed guy on steroids, so let's lower his pitch.' I repeated, 'Go ahead make my day,' and they said, 'Oh! That's the Duke voice, let's go with that!' That's been the voice ever since."

But while Duke is St. John's most famous voice, it's far from his only work in the industry. "Duke Nukem Forever is along the same lines as the Duke Nukem 3D [http://www.amazon.com/GT-Interactive-Software-Corp-Nukem/dp/B000H9CLV0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306946904&sr=8-2] game, but in the years between the release of Duke Nukem Forever, I've done other games," he said. "I was included in the Duke Nukem Trilogy, done by Apogee Software. I've only done the first of their trilogy. I've also been involved in many other video games. I've done between 120 to 150 games so far. That keeps me pretty busy."

Duke Nukem Forever comes out in Europe on June 10 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and arrives in North America on June 14.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Well, that clinches it; I was on the fence about getting DNF but now I'll just wait for the cheaper future release with all the DLC included.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
What I want is a DLC that jokingly takes Yahtzee's idea for the full body control scheme, because that would be hilarious. It would be impossible to play the game almost, but it would be really funny to try.
OT: Duke Nukem singing? Well, I guess in Portal 1 we never expected GLaDOS to sing, and look at her now. Maybe Duke Nukem singing will actually turn out pretty good. I can't judge until there's more information. Either way, I still cannot wait until Duke Nukem Forever comes out.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Hmm, maybe it will be this song?

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK5bekk7yCs)

John St John is awesome. Got a chance to meet him (when I took that video), really nice guy.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Sooo... there will be a new DLC chapter in the game where we sing into a microphone to make pigcop heads explode?

OH MY GOD, THAT IS THE BEST IDEA I HAVE EVER COME UP WITH.

Sepiida

Jan 25, 2010
Is it bad that when I saw the words "Duke Nukem" and "throat-loosening" I thought of something completely different?

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
buy teh haloz said:
Sooo... there will be a new DLC chapter in the game where we sing into a microphone to make pigcop heads explode?

OH MY GOD, THAT IS THE BEST IDEA I HAVE EVER COME UP WITH.
In that case he'll be forced to sing high pitched polka, and I seriously doubt that'll happen.

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
I will laugh so hard if they say "we just ran out of time to put it in the game!"

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
And Jim Sterling thinks the creators of this game intend it to be taken seriously?

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Personally, I'm hoping of a 'Duke does Abba' DLC.
MaxPowers666 said:
Lets face it if the duke is singing anything its gotta be something like this

Like that, but lower the pitch.

Also, is it just me or does the guy who says "He... He's here!" in the beginning sound just like Paul from LRR?

dunnace said:
I will laugh so hard if they say "we just ran out of time to put it in the game!"
XD

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
Sylocat said:
And Jim Sterling thinks the creators of this game intend it to be taken seriously?
True this article just pwned the last episode of Jimquisition.

OT: So Yahtzee was actually right after all. After the singing DLC we'll get cooking with Duke DLC?