Dumb question about power cords

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Would an old fat PS3's power cord work with a newish PS4 slim? I don't wanna fry the machine trying.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Would an old fat PS3's power cord work with a newish PS4 slim? I don't wanna fry the machine trying.
It has been my experience that as long as the actual connection is the same - from memory the PS3 used a standard PC “kettle cord” - it is the power supply that will determine if something fries.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Yeah, it's fine as long as the connector is the same.

Generally speaking, it's one of those generic parts that companies don't really have a reason to customize.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
This isn't related to the PS4 question, but you cannot (should not) use a PC 'kettle' lead for an actual kettle, despite the connectors being the same.
Depends on the wattage of the kettle and how much the PC power lead can safely provide. Kettles seem to range about 1000-3000W, so a fairly common 10A power lead could be fine for the lower end of that spectrum, assuming the wire gauge isn't too weedy.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Depends on the wattage of the kettle and how much the PC power lead can safely provide. Kettles seem to range about 1000-3000W, so a fairly common 10A power lead could be fine for the lower end of that spectrum, assuming the wire gauge isn't too weedy.
I think that's generally the issue, the wire for genuine kettle leads is thicker than a standard power lead. In the UK kettles typically run 2000W +.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Apparently in the UK, after an episode of a soap opera (I think it was Eastenders) finishes, enough people all put the kettle on at once that there's a serious and sudden spike in power usage across the grid that the system has to be prepared for.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Apparently in the UK, after an episode of a soap opera (I think it was Eastenders) finishes, enough people all put the kettle on at once that there's a serious and sudden spike in power usage across the grid that the system has to be prepared for.
Coronation Street actually. During that time Britain buys power from France.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
As a general principle, as long as the connectors fit, it's probably okay. The main thing to be careful of is the power supply: some kit really does not like the wrong wattage or voltage going through it.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Coronation Street actually. During that time Britain buys power from France.
It's our undoing on the world stage, an embarrassment we'll never live down, alongside the abysmal governance and lack of regard for the (tbf moronic) electorate.