"dumbed down for the console gamer"

Terrik

Mar 21, 2009
A good example is comparing Thief 3 to the first two. Consolified to the max, and I'll never get over it.

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
I am really really sick of this whole thing, can we not just hug each other enjoy our respective platforms and get on with hating Jack Thompson and the Govenator?

But I will throw my two pence in, why is it necessary to insult someone because they haven't built a machine themselves? To buy a computer which is purely for gaming it is prohibitively expensive. Something I would not do, there is also the matter of "I just bought this brilliant new game which has the exact spec of my machine on the back of the box!" Then you install it and find you need to spend half a day patching it or indeed find that because your graphics card has a extra s on the end of the name it displays all of your graphics as squares before over heating and melting your mother board into slag.

Or I could just buy an Xbox which will play anything with 360 written on it! I know people enjoy the tinkering and messing about with computers but it's not for me I am afraid!

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
bue519 said:
Its probably because you have ruined every awesome franchise, EX: look at Fallout 2 compared to 3. One was awesome, the other was a dumbed down buggy piece of trash. Just please play Halo Wars, and leave the rest of the RTS's alone.
Heh, you seem to think that gaming demographics are a collective hive mind, saying "you" like we are all responsible for it. People tend to join groups (in this case the PC gamer) because they feel that they are on the "right side" and are in a community. This is why you seem to think that people must join a faction and stick to it instead of just playing games they enjoy. I absolutely love how pc gamers have to use the most popular games in their argument (and even then they only name one of them), like they only play AAA titles and don't have a lot of history under their belt.

Can you name some more games that are superior on the PC? Enough that this phenomina of console games being worse is actually a noticeable trend? Also try not to use RTS games because by design they were created for the keyboard. It wouldn't be fair to say that an arcade fighting game is better in the arcade than the keyboard.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
harv3034 said:
I find that insulting.

I do a fair share of console gaming my self and I feel it's more like "made complicated for the PC gamer"

I mean, who can keep track of all those randome buttons???????
We do!

LordSphinx

Apr 14, 2009
Vuljatar said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
Vuljatar said:
Why shouldn't I blame the platform when it's the primary reason why the developers make the decisions that they do?
That sounds a bit "She was dressed like a slut, your honour."
...the fuck?

Seriously, what?
Wow, seriously, that was PRICELESS. Props to you Rhombus, you are now high in my esteem.

Lancer723

Dec 12, 2008
PC Gamers: "Console gamers are ruining our games, which are so much better for a number of reasons which I will now state in an orderly and logical manner"

Console Gamers: *Too busy playing their games to respond*

gains

Jan 8, 2008
"Dumbed down for the console gamer" or "Slowed down for the PC gamer?"

Look at Dragon Age. It's been designed to be more action oriented on the consoles but more strategy oriented for the PC.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
It's not the players that the games are dumbed down for, it's the controllers. Take a look at the interface for FF14, it's set up so that console users can use the exact same interface as the pc users and as a consequence things take far longer to do than they should. The game isn't even out for consoles yet (and with the way the release has gone probably never will be) and the dev's catering to the consoles is what is killing the game.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
bue519 said:
Its probably because you have ruined every awesome franchise, EX: look at Fallout 2 compared to 3. One was awesome, the other was a dumbed down buggy piece of trash. Just please play Halo Wars, and leave the rest of the RTS's alone.
finally, someone who agrees with me about the fallout series! i was so pissed when they turned my beloved rpg, into a first person shooter

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
I think the major point is that developers (understandably) make games for consoles for a higher profit, since the console game demographic seems to be much greater than the PC game demographic.
Let's face it, fellow PC game players: We are often assumed to be nerds, while some frat boy "headshotting noobs" on an X-Box is, for some strange reason, considered "cool" by the general (or at least the more perceptible) public.

For consoles, there are quite a few limitations:

1) Control interface
This one has been brought up quite often in the course of this thread. A gamepad just has far less keys than an average keyboard, which is a good thing actually. Keyboards were originally designed for typing texts, a job they do really well. Gamepads were designed as a simple, easy-to-learn interface for playing games, a job they do well, too.
Now developers for the PC platform are using the keys meant for typing to control games. They do this job surprisingly well, too, and since there are so many of them (105 I think, I didn't count), a for practical applications unlimited number of commands (especially when using modifier keys like Shift and Control) can be executed by keyboard. On the console, you get... I'm not sure... 12 I think, and five or six axes (on an XBox gamepad, the shouldter trigger things work like one axis in Windows, but can execute simultaneous commands, so I'm indecisive). So, in order to make a game work on a console, you have to use a limited control set, often relying on context sensitive controls (taking cover and picking up objects can be the same button, depending on your situation).
Since most games are published on consoles AND PC, these controls are often just translated to the PC, making PC players feel constrained, since they are used to complex keyboard layouts for games.

2) Screen size
While HDTVs are great, they are usually still inferiour to a really good computer screen when it comes to contrast, forcing the games to use clearer-than-life imagery. Additionally, you are usually pretty far away from the TV, so the screen text has to be bigger, while on PC monitors, the maximum distance would be about 1m, usually lower, making even small fonts easily readable on the PC screen.
So if a console game gets ported to PC, the players get a brightly-coloured interface with huge text on it, which is perfect for a far-away TV set, but feels childish and unnecessary on PC. This problem could be - but usually isn't - solved by using a different interface on PC.

3) Demographics
Most PC players have a certain seriousness when it comes to games. Most PC players have no real problem investing a lot of time in quests, for example, while lots of console players are more casual players, looking for a game they can start, accomplish something (quest, level, whatever) and switch the console off.
This, of course, leads to games which feel more simple than what PC players are used to.

Terrik

Mar 21, 2009
Lancer723 said:
PC Gamers: "Console gamers are ruining our games, which are so much better for a number of reasons which I will now state in an orderly and logical manner"

Console Gamers: *Too busy playing their games to respond*

What about us who are both? What do EVERYONE who plays both say about it?

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Well, my brother seems to be fused to the PS3 (Mankind has begun fusing with machines, but individual countries have not yet become obsolete...), and I think he's pretty dumb.

He refuses to check out Korsakovia even though I hail it as the proof of the existence of a benevolent God, and while he doesn't say it out loud, I know this is because there are no guns in it. He's a typical console tard.

dark-amon

Aug 22, 2009
bue519 said:
Why are there so many people who hate against Fallout 3? It's much easier than Fallout 2 (and the gameplay is completley modified) but as an medium of entertainment with artistic value 3 is vastly superiour in many ways.

OT: The statement dosen't seem to have any truth to it. Most people I know that play games use both computer and console. I think that people saying the "dumbed down"-thing is mostly people playing RTS and similar games, and that someone didn't listen to their brain at one turn and now they think that the consoles are for retards due to the lack of strategy-games.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Unknower said:
I don't think console gamers are "inferior" compared to PC gamers, but you can sometimes see multiplatform game suffer from console's limitations.
Bravo.

Can we please make this post its own thread and sticky it at the top of the page, so we don't have to have this utterly stupid argument any more.

Both consoles and PC gaming have thier ups and downs, it's all just a matter of preference.

I like both, but I am a man of simple tastes and will choose a first person treck through the DC Ruins any day over a 15-minute long turn based clickfest against a deathclaw.

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
jboking said:
If he doesn't come back to do it, allow me to explain. If you couldn't guess (I hope you could) what he is refering to is blaming ones misdeeds on the attraction of the misdeed.

-snip-
No, I got it. It's just the most ignorant, inappropriate and appallingly offensive analogy I have ever seen posted on this forum.

cainstwin

May 18, 2009
bue519 said:
MaxPowers666 said:
Its basically used when PC gamers get a game from a developer they love but dont like the game itself. The refuse to accept the fact that the developer they are blowing can make a bad game and look for any excuse out there. This is one of their favourite since it not only removes the blame from the dev it also blames their most hated enemy the console gamers.

Baby Tea said:
It's used because people are ridiculous. I did a blog post on this recently, and the entire notion is beyond silly. 'Dumbed down for consoles' is just the insecure PC elitist's excuse to push blame from poor development (Because they love the developer) to other, 'inferior' platforms. It's a joke.
Holy shit that is an amazing little article you got there. It just so perfectly explains everything in ways that I couldnt. I might actually have to link it next time somebody brings up this rediculous arguement that games get dumbed down.

bue519 said:
Its all just in your head. I actually remember on multiple occasions this site voting fallout 3 as one of the best games out there. That should say something along the lines of just because YOU dont like a game doesnt mean its shit. I wont say it wasnt buggy because its bethesda and all their games are buggy as hell. I will say that I played both fallout 1 & 2 and thought them to be trash, oh and I did play them both before fallout 3.
I think you just proved my point with whole dumbing down of games. I'm sorry that those games actually made you think. Why don't you just call Diablo a steaming turd, Warcraft and Starcraft garbage, and the explain to me how awesome Halo is.
Wait ... what? How did you go from him not liking fallout 1 + 2 to him hating the entire PC catalogue??? The fact he played Fallout 1 + 2 means he has a PC of some sort but at no point does he even say he has a console, just that he doesn't understand all the hate they get.

OT:
AS a PS3 owner and PC gamer I don't particularly think games get dumbed down for console, just adjusted to fit the controls as the difference between the control systems is so large. Each platform has its own strength, if I want to play an FPS I'll use my PC but if its a platformer then I'll probably get it for PS3 (as long as it isn't ridiculously expensive).

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
bue519 said:
Maybe you should address that to the developers instead of the gamers.

Also, I have played all the Fallout games and 3 was by far my favorite, same with many members of this community. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad.