Dune, adapted by Denis Villeneuve

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Frank Herbert’s legendary contribution to science fiction is once again getting adapted for screen. This time with the added benefit of several decades of special effects technological advances and a murderer’s row of modern talent.

I personally want to see this sucker on the biggest, baddest screen and sound setup I can get my hands on.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The two previous iterations of Dune had their... qualities. I’m probably gonna what and see what some reviewers say because I don’t want to waste money on something I can see on TV later unless it’s actually good

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I find it depressing that Denis Villeneuve is one of the few really respected directors we have now for big Hollywood movies. His movies feel cold, kind of soulless. I've watched a good number of them and didn't find any of them great. I think the only ones I watched more than once were BR 2049 and Prisoners, and I'll probably never see either of them a third time. Even with how little we've seen of this, I already don't like the desaturated colors, but I'd expect no other color palette from this director.

mmkay

Sep 1, 2020
Please do not troll.
I find it depressing that Denis Villeneuve is one of the few really respected directors we have now for big Hollywood movies. His movies feel cold, kind of soulless. I've watched a good number of them and didn't find any of them great. I think the only ones I watched more than once were BR 2049 and Prisoners, and I'll probably never see either of them a third time. Even with how little we've seen of this, I already don't like the desaturated colors, but I'd expect no other color palette from this director.
Oh christ I forgot about. One of the biggest disappointments about the Escapist forum 2.0 is that they unbanned your dumbass.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
On the one hand, I think Denis Villeneuve is a terrific director, and I loved Prisoners and Arrival. On the other, this trailer is giving me major Blade Runner 2049 vibes, and while I can't say that movie was bad in anyway, I did find it dreadfully dull.

And I don't want to be racist here, but considering this is Legendary which is now in the hands of China, I'm gonna assume that one chinese actor is the mandate to appeal to China, which makes me fear the movie will have to abide by the chinese government's censorship. Which means they'll probably cut out that scene with Winnie the Pooh. Yeah, that last one was a joke, but I'm still pretty paranoid whenever I see these kinds of signs.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Looks mostly like what I'd imagined Dune would look like when I first read it, so that's a good start. My mind version had more vibrant warm colors tho, so I kind of agree with Ezekiel about the desaturated palette.

I love some of the casting choices tho. Dave Bautista as Beast Rabban? Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho? Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck?

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I'm disappointed that not only is the 3rd treatment on the property, that it is PART ONE!!! but that further, we're not getting to see progression from that 1st book. Lots more to follow. Maybe they think this will be the next Harry Potter series?
ITMT: this was buried in my piles o stuff that someone gave me and I never got around to seeing it. 1/3 the way through and will likely buy "Children of Dune" that does progress the story and is argued to be even better than this series. And stars James McAvoy.
dune.jpg

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
On the one hand, I think Denis Villeneuve is a terrific director, and I loved Prisoners and Arrival. On the other, this trailer is giving me major Blade Runner 2049 vibes, and while I can't say that movie was bad in anyway, I did find it dreadfully dull.

And I don't want to be racist here, but considering this is Legendary which is now in the hands of China, I'm gonna assume that one chinese actor is the mandate to appeal to China
He's playing Wellington Yueh, a secondary character working for House Atreides
but who also betrays them to Baron Harkonnen. So if he's the China pandering character, he's a poor choice

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Is it worth reading the book? My sister bought a few weeks back, and it looks quite long. Kinda want to be informed before I watch the movie though.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Please don't be a bad. Or a financial failure if not a bad. Could rather do with a grand sci-fi epic that isn't star wars for once. But kinda getting some proper 'anime protagonist' vibes from the lead kid who played the first boyfriend in Ladybird shown here. Not too sure whether reading the book beforehand would only be setting meself up for disappointment though. But reading it after means being tainted with the film imagery instead of own imagination. Insignificant conflicts!

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Is it worth reading the book? My sister bought a few weeks back, and it looks quite long. Kinda want to be informed before I watch the movie though.
I think it is worth reading for the same reason reading Tolkien, Asimov or Heinlein is worth it. Much of what makes those great has become the norm for storytelling in their respective genres, and Dune, as one of the trendsetters, may come across as rather wooden and even outdated, but its themes are just as interesting and relevant now as they were back in the 60's (perhaps even more so), even if you don't agree with the writer's stance on them. Mind you, it can get longwinded at times, it throws a lot of information and names at you often with little explanation, and if often with decades old literature, there are some things in there that are pretty cringeworthy by modern standards. Baron Harkonnen comes to mind. You'll get why when you reach certain bits.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
He's playing Wellington Yueh, a secondary character working for House Atreides
but who also betrays them to Baron Harkonnen. So if he's the China pandering character, he's a poor choice
Then hopefully I'm just paranoid.