Dungeon & Dragons: Daggerdale Review

SuperJay

Jun 3, 2011
No, I actually meant to use the words I wrote, but I'm sorry if that's a pet peeve of yours. Yeah, it's an aberration too.

The game does save - sort of - in that you don't start the game from the very beginning if you die, but you do have to restart the most recent quest and re-do everything you'd previously accomplished. (Hence the "5 of 6 keys" example. You die after finding 5 of those 6, you're starting over at 0 of 6, and you have to pick up the first 5 again.)

Also, the quest system is severely limited - you get one quest at a time (all other quest givers disappear when you accept a single quest) so there's no way of completing multiple objectives at the same time. And many quests send you into the same places you just cleared in a previous quest, but everything's respawned so you have to re-do it all over again. Couple that with the lack of a decent save feature and you're forced to replay a lot of content repeatedly in a single playthrough - and you STILL only get maybe 7-8 hours out of the game.

Really, it has some potential, but in its current state it's nowhere near worth playing. This is another situation where the demo carefully masks the problems with the full game, so going by that brief experience isn't going to help. Just look at the Metacritic scores - 47 / 100 and 5.5 out of 10 aren't the hallmarks of a quality game.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
Why didn't he talk about the RPG story of this game? To me this looked like a console version of diablo with dnd names. Not an actual DND game like Baldurs Gate 1/2+exp or Neverwinter night 1/2+exp.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
mrhateful said:
Why didn't he talk about the RPG story of this game? To me this looked like a console version of diablo with dnd names. Not an actual DND game like Baldurs Gate 1/2+exp or Neverwinter night 1/2+exp.
The game is typical fantasy adventure fare. Rezlus, the main big baddy, has constructed the Tower of Void in the Mines of Tethyamar in hopes of conquering the Dalelands for his dark god Bane. Obviously the story is hardly breaking any new ground, but luckily a mysterious woman defies fate to bring four adventurers to put a stop to this evil. Of course instead of getting anyone that might actually be able to solve the issue right away, she summons, among others, a first level warrior wearing cloth armor. It might be risky that the whole realm is being defended by fighter in a little more than a t-shirt and blue jeans but Rezlus has graciously left a slowly increasing progression of challenges in the way.
That's really about the whole of it. Baring a few moments, you are essentially siding with a few predetermined factions on your way to taking down Rezlus, most of whom will send you on simple go-to here and kill X number of those quests or occasionally go save so and so. The only real choice is in taking the side quests or not.

Then again this isn't really the kind of game you play for story all that much.

oathblade

Aug 16, 2009
I was really excited to get another D&D game but....the gear listed isn't D&D. It sounds more like a Diablo clone. Still its cheap but somehow it loses the world's flavor to alter its items for me.

And of course the 4e being horrid doesn't help. Hmm I think NWN sounds like some fun!