Dungeon Keeper Goes Free For Valentine's Day On GOG

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dungeon Keeper Goes Free For Valentine's Day On GOG

The good folks at GOG are celebrating Valentine's Day with a free copy of Dungeon Keeper Gold for everyone and a pretty solid sale, too.

You have no doubt heard about EA's new free-to-play take on the classic Dungeon Keeper, which has not gone over particularly well with some critics. Our own Jim Sterling, for instance, described it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10956-Dungeon-Keeper-Mobile-Review-Wallet-Reaper] as "a perversion of a respected series, twisted by some of the most soulless, selfish, and nauseating human beings to ever blight the game industry," which is maybe a bit harsh, but I can't argue with the underlying sentiment. It's just not good.

The original Dungeon Keeper was good, however, and GOG, never one to miss an opportunity to score some easy PR, has decided to vacuum up some gamer karma by giving it away as part of its Valentine's Day sale. It's Dungeon Keeper Gold, actually, which includes the Deeper Dungeons expansion pack; it also has the sequel, Dungeon Keeper 2, on sale for $1.49, and a bunch of other stuff marked down to the cheap.

Despite seeming to play on EA's rough ride with the mobile Dungeon Keeper, GOG said the free game is "courtesy of the fine folks at EA," although it's hard to say whether that's because they were involved in the decision to give it away or just happened to be the company that originally published the thing. Either way, free game! And some other good deals, too - but only until 6 am EST on February 16.

Source: GOG [http://www.gog.com/]

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
GOG just exploded from demand of this nice little gift.

God bless you GOG.

EDIT: And DK2 for $1.50. I'm speechless.

Jan 27, 2011
Scrumpmonkey said:
Now you can get Dungeon keeper without giving EA a single cent. God bless you GoG : )
My thoughts exactly.

I really hope EA had nothing to do with this giveaway. I like my mental image of a corporate douche at EA seeing this article and then his head just exploding from the shock. XD

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
They couldn't have done this without EA's permission - credit should be given when it's due.

I'm not a fan of the series, but I guess providing everyone with a free copy of the original classic after releasing that pay-to-wait crap does seem like a step in the right direction.

I only played a bit of the demo many years ago, but I might give it a try now that GOG gave us free copies.

Chareater

Aug 12, 2010
Well guess its finally time to buy stuff off GOG, I really put it off for far to long

Chareater

Aug 12, 2010
Well guess its finally time to buy stuff off GOG, I really put it off for far to long

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Doom972 said:
I'm not a fan of the series, but I guess providing everyone with a free copy of the original classic after releasing that pay-to-wait crap does seem like a step in the right direction.
It might be a step in the right direction but only after they took a long haul flight in the wrong direction first. If they had done this as a marketing stunt for a not-shit mobile version of the game, then we could praise EA for changing their wicked, wicked ways and giving people access to a classic PC game DRM free. But they are doing it to make up for a mistake, which is good but could be better.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
Doom972 said:
It might be a step in the right direction but only after they took a long haul flight in the wrong direction first. If they had done this as a marketing stunt for a not-shit mobile version of the game, then we could praise EA for changing their wicked, wicked ways and giving people access to a classic PC game DRM free. But they are doing it to make up for a mistake, which is good but could be better.
I absolutely agree. I made that reply with the comments praising GOG doing this against EA's will in mind.

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
hOLY SHITKNOBS PLANESCAPE TORMENT FOR TWO BUCKS OH MY DEAR SWEET SATAN FUCKS YEAH

Ahem.

Yes, this is indubitably a good deal. Never played Dungeon Keeper, but I hear good things.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Yeah, I didn't mention it because I think I mention it, like, every damned time, but GOG's entire D&D lineup is on sale for some pretty screamingly good prices too. If you don't already have Planescape, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc., now is probably the time to rectify that situation.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
Too bad none of the knobs who rated DK mobile as 5 star will ever hear or care about this deal so they can learn how wrong they were.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
well I won't complain about free, but its a shame absolutely nothing about the original DK has aged gracefully.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
So you can get DK *and* DK2 for less than the price of mining a single block in the mobile game. Niiice.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Man, fifteen posts and not a single joke about which Dungeon Keeper is really "free to play". You disappoint me, Escapists.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
holy crap been playing Metal Slug 3 with the gf and now DK 1 & 2 best v-day ever

OMFG THEY HAVE TOTAL ANNIHILATION TOO !!!! ive had the commanders pack on my shelve for years unable to play it. Still one of the best rts games ever.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I go there to pick up Dungeon Keeper, and leave with the entirety of the D&D pack minus Planescape since I already had that one. GOG y u so based?