Dungeon Keeper Goes Free For Valentine's Day On GOG

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
Well time to play Baldur's Gate, Planescape torment and Dungeon keeper and get those off my list of games I need to play. Ahh GoG just another reason I love my pc.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
From the site

You'll get your game soon! Minion, due to high demand, we will tell you when your free copy of Dungeon Keeper is ready via email in a little bit.

Who would have thought that could happen?

Got the email with 3 or so minutes though, they got some quick monkeys working there.

Luckily i am not the least bit interested in all the rest of they stuff they are offering, cheap day for me =D

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
They had the STALKER series listed earlier this week at 70% off. After all the DRM issues I had with the retail versions of those games, it was an easy sale.

I've made it a point to check GoG for games before even steam... DRMless = instant sale for me

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Johnson McGee said:
Too bad none of the knobs who rated DK mobile as 5 star will ever hear or care about this deal so they can learn how wrong they were.
I would theorise that most of the "people" who rated the mobile version of DK 5-stars can probably be traced back to a single laptop operated by a guy who is "most definatley, 100%, OFFICIALLY not on EA's payroll". But that is just my miserable cynic talking.

OT: Things like this really remind me why i am such a fan of GOG. Pretty much all of my PC gaming is GOG centric these days as they are sadly the only company that seems to accept that DRM is an anti-consumer practice and appreciate that this leads to an unsustainable business model.

Allspice

Mar 1, 2011
I've been on the fence about getting Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2 for a while...I guess my decision has now been made for me. XD Just a $1.50 for both? ::downloads:: Thanks, GoG! And EA I guess, since they probably approved it. Yeah...

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Awesome deals all round. I already own both Dungeon Keeper game and most of the DnD games from gog sales but then you had to put Alpha Centuri among many other great games on sale as well didn't you? Just couldn't let my wallet be :p

Spend 24 hours playing Dungeon Keeper instead of waiting 24 hours to dig a block out.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Well, considering I lost my copies of DK 1 and 2 some time ago, and considering that the ENTIRELY justified hatred toward EA over that travesty of a game they shat out has got me in the mood to play some DK again, this is absolutely a no-brainer for me. Currently downloading DK 2 right now (and I'll get 1 as soon as I get the email saying it's ready for me to download).

Although this does raise a question in my mind: Which is better, 1 or 2? I was always more of a fan of 2 myself, but some seem to prefer 1. Any opinions on this, Escapist?

Also:

deathbydeath said:
Man, fifteen posts and not a single joke about which Dungeon Keeper is really "free to play". You disappoint me, Escapists.
Give this man a cookie.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Doom972 said:
They couldn't have done this without EA's permission - credit should be given when it's due.
I suspect that GOG's distribution contract gives them a lot of leeway and lets them do stuff like this if they feel like it. Just like how it allows them to modify the games as they see fit and sell them without region restrictions. Since 90% of their catalog is old, out-of-print games that publishers have stopped caring about, they're OK with signing it because anything they'd make from it at this point is essentially free money anyway. And because it wouldn't be in GOG's best interests to pull stunts like this on anything close to a regular basis.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
dunam said:
Well I downloaded and played it for a bit.

After 60 minutes I must admit, it's not as good as I remember it. Games have come a long way since dungeon keeper. At one moment, for example, I was suddenly overwhelmed by the local lord of the realm and his ragtag team of heroes and I had to actually deal with this in action packed real time.

Then later I started to realise that I had already finished the level. It just felt like there was nothing at stake.

If only there was some way that the gameplay could be slowed down, or I could invest-to-play somehow, that would really improve the experience.
Hehe. Very good.

OT: Man, and I just paid 3 bucks for it a week ago! Oh well, one less cup of coffee for the week.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Leemaster777 said:
Although this does raise a question in my mind: Which is better, 1 or 2? I was always more of a fan of 2 myself, but some seem to prefer 1. Any opinions on this, Escapist?
Having spent the last 2 hours playing these gems, I still can't decide wich one is better, DK2 is pretty much the same as the first one, but "prettier" and DK1 certainly shows it's age, particularly if you're using the default DosBox method of GOG (I used this sensible post [http://www.gog.com/forum/dungeon_keeper_series/keeperfx_hires_dk1_latest_builds_and_install_instructions/page1] on how to slightly upgrade the game).

Both games are lots of fun, but the first one certainly could benefit from some of the stuff that was slightly streamlined in the second game, but both are excellent games nonetheless.

Personally, I prefer DK2 for being slightly prettier and easier to get into.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
i bought both dungeon keepers of GOG last year. Got to say that the first one installer didnt work properly, but thanks to a bit of googling and a fans forums i managed to get KeeperFX that took the assets from regualr keeper and ran it on my pc so all was well. Its really a great game, though some UI and control options could ahve been much better (but back then that was the norm i guess).
the second one is far worse and it runs worse on modern amchines too. dont mind the lag in menu though, it goes away once you start the game.

Leemaster777 said:
id say definitely first one. If only for not having the lightning spam.

Jaeger_CDN said:
They had the STALKER series listed earlier this week at 70% off. After all the DRM issues I had with the retail versions of those games, it was an easy sale.

I've made it a point to check GoG for games before even steam... DRMless = instant sale for me
I didnt have problems with STALKER DRM, but i wanted to ask you have you tried clear sky yet? if so, have they fixed the crashing bugs? crashes were the reason i never finished the game even though i loved it. i would save, then a game crashes in 10 seconds. turns out, it saved whatever caused the crash with it so if i load the game game always crashes in 10 seconds no matter what i do. after 3rd time being corrupted in such a way i gave up after spending 38 hour on it.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
TallanKhan said:
Johnson McGee said:
Too bad none of the knobs who rated DK mobile as 5 star will ever hear or care about this deal so they can learn how wrong they were.
I would theorise that most of the "people" who rated the mobile version of DK 5-stars can probably be traced back to a single laptop operated by a guy who is "most definatley, 100%, OFFICIALLY not on EA's payroll". But that is just my miserable cynic talking.

OT: Things like this really remind me why i am such a fan of GOG. Pretty much all of my PC gaming is GOG centric these days as they are sadly the only company that seems to accept that DRM is an anti-consumer practice and appreciate that this leads to an unsustainable business model.
i dont agree, if DRM provides enough benefits to the end user (like steam) then it shouldnt be an issue, but if we are talking shit like limited installs and always online connection then yes, that shit can do die in a hole

also stalker at 70% off? ugh, you gotta be shitting me, ive been looking to play that game for some time now, im waiting for a steam sale because all my remaining funds are on my steam wallets, and lets just say getting dollars in my country is, quite the challenge

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Steve the Pocket said:
Doom972 said:
They couldn't have done this without EA's permission - credit should be given when it's due.
I suspect that GOG's distribution contract gives them a lot of leeway and lets them do stuff like this if they feel like it. Just like how it allows them to modify the games as they see fit and sell them without region restrictions. Since 90% of their catalog is old, out-of-print games that publishers have stopped caring about, they're OK with signing it because anything they'd make from it at this point is essentially free money anyway. And because it wouldn't be in GOG's best interests to pull stunts like this on anything close to a regular basis.
Knowing how EA and publishers in general view their properties, I highly doubt that. GOG's announcement seems to support the fact that it was done with EA's permission.

Jaeger_CDN

Aug 9, 2010
Strazdas said:
Jaeger_CDN said:

I didnt have problems with STALKER DRM, but i wanted to ask you have you tried clear sky yet? if so, have they fixed the crashing bugs? crashes were the reason i never finished the game even though i loved it. i would save, then a game crashes in 10 seconds. turns out, it saved whatever caused the crash with it so if i load the game game always crashes in 10 seconds no matter what i do. after 3rd time being corrupted in such a way i gave up after spending 38 hour on it.
I haven't tried the GoG version of Clear Sky yet. I never even got that far in CS, my game would always corrupt near the big 2 storey barn/church in the first section even after applying patch after patch which is why I burned through all my TAGES allowable installs. I just downloaded the first game last night and was going to start playing through this weekend and hopefully start on CS after that.

NuclearKangaroo said:
also stalker at 70% off? ugh, you gotta be shitting me, ive been looking to play that game for some time now, im waiting for a steam sale because all my remaining funds are on my steam wallets, and lets just say getting dollars in my country is, quite the challenge
The 70% off was the introductory price when they brought STALKER to their catalogue ($15 USD for all three games ... have to love GOG)and I'm sure they'll bring them on sale again.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
NuclearKangaroo said:
TallanKhan said:
Johnson McGee said:

i dont agree, if DRM provides enough benefits to the end user (like steam) then it shouldnt be an issue, but if we are talking shit like limited installs and always online connection then yes, that shit can do die in a hole
You raise an interesting point about Steam, but I ask what benefit the actual DRM aspect of Steam provides? Don't get me wrong, I accept things like steam sales are great for the users of the service, but that is something aside from the DRM aspect. What actual benefits are there for having to connect to the internet to play (yes I am aware there is a play offline mode but online is the default)? Or having to run the steam client software in the background? Orin the case of a retail purchase, having to download, connect to steam and register the game before you can play it?

These things are the DRM aspect of Steam and I agree they can be justified if these same things provide a benefit, but the rest of the business model being sound doesn't justify screwing people with DRM.